Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDR settings for SPE 1.3K amplifier

2»

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Which serial cable are you referring to? The USB cable is for supervisory control of the amp, such as switch on/off and all of the control menus. 

The CAT serial cable via the 15 pin is strictly for radio to amp communications (CAT). 

The other serial 9 pin cable next to the USB I've never tried. Theoretically though it's the same connection with the USB just being a USB to serial converter. 
  • Geert Balsma PA3CPS
    edited October 2017
    My serial cable is a real serial cable, with on both ends  9pins connectors (male/female).
    The connections i made are in the SPE manual.

When i use a USB-cable it works perfect. Then i can switch my amp on/off

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    You might want to ask them then. You probably bought it from Hamshop in the Netherlands? They do the service for it. Or whoever you bought it from. They will know the answer. Sorry, I don't have one anymore otherwise I could check myself.

Ria
  • Steve Bunting
    Steve Bunting Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Are you using the port connector? It is a while since I made my cable, but it is not a usual straight thru serial cable.

Also, i dont think that remote on-off works with the Expert RS232 app. I apply/remove +12V to the relevant port connector pin to toggle on and off.

Steve, M0BPQ  
  • Steve Bunting
    Steve Bunting Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    See page 46 of the manual at http://www.expertlinears.com/pdfs/expert_1-3K_manual.pdf for the port connection if that is relevant.

73, M0BPQ
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I was able to turn off/on from the app using the USB cable. I have never tried the 9 pin port connector. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Didn't Dan Tassell make a custom cable that includes powering on the amp when the Flex is powered up? You can email him at mailto:kc5pcb2@att.net? 

I personally use DDUtil to control and power the amp on & off.

Dave wo2x
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The power cannot be turned on and off thru the remote software if using the serial cable.

• Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    You can use Dan's cable, which includes a dip switch to enable the remote on feature. With this enabled, anytime you remote enable the Flex, the amp also turns on, and off.

As a side note, when using this cable, anytime you turn on the Flex, using any method, the amp also turns on and off. Which is nice (assuming you want the amp on when the Flex is on).

/Doug
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited July 2018
    Hello Ria and the group , Picked up my Flex 6600 this past Wed. I'm reading this thread about the cables needed between flex 6600 and SPE amp . In my case SPE 2kfa !  I have everything needed to  wire the cable as Ria shows above . My question is , do I also need a USB to Serial adapter cable ?? I understand Amazon has the correct one ? Can someone send me a link please ? Do I need both the DIY Cable  and the USB to Serial adapter cable ?

Thn Ed

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I'll let those with more technical knowledge comment, but I believe if you have an old-fashioned 9-pin RS232 port on your computer, you won't need the converter.  If you want to hook up to a USB port, either on your computer or go directly to the Flex, you'll need a genuine FTDI USB-RS232 adapter.
     https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCZM6OM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
     I'm using one of Dan's cables that came with my (used) SPE 1.3k and using the adapter, and have it going directly to the USB port on my 6400 instead of going through the PC.  My particular cable has the PTT wiring to the Flex accessory jack so it doesn't require the additional RCA cable that is usually required.  As you can see, there are multiple alternatives.  With my setup, using FRStacks, I can switch from standby to operate, and select the power level without touching the amp. I only need to use the SPE front panel if I'm resetting the antenna tuner or the drive levels.  I really love the Flex/SPE combo.

Rick, W0FG
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    There is a newer SPE 1.3k firmware that takes care of the Fans spinning up too soon.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    From SPE 

11_10_17_C_15s

- Less noise: PA fans are always off if the temperature is lower than 35C
    - Tunable antenna and RX antenna settings are saved for every memory bank
    - LOW power level can be set per band by arrow keys down to approx 250 Watts
    - The RX antenna can be momentary disabled by pressing the key ANT
    - General code maintenance

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.