Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX Driver Errors, Windows 10, Current software

Ralph Fedor
Ralph Fedor Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I've owned a 6700 for months, but due to my time commitment to the Bouvet DXpedition, I've just now found time to really set it up.  I downloaded  the latest software and am using Windows 10 on a custom built computer.  All went well for a time.  I incorporated the DXLab Suite, N1MM, and SO2R functionality.  However, when I tried to set up RTTY, things went amiss.  I got a message from DAX saying "Driver Error," and lost all connectivity with DAX (TX, Slice 1 & 2).  A friend suggested I uninstall all software and then reinstall it.

My questions: 

Many of the posts I've found on this topic are somewhat dated and relate to Windows 7.  Is the uninstall advice still current?  Are their different uninstall procedures with Windows 10?  (Seems simpler with 10??)

Is there a "fix" to prevent this from happening again?

I assume I will loose all the setup I've done for DXLab, N1MM, SO2R, etc.  Correct?

I'm open to offline or phone "walk throughs."

Ralph --  K0IR

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    Many of the posts I've found on this topic are somewhat dated and relate to Windows 7.  Is the uninstall advice still current?  Are their different uninstall procedures with Windows 10?  (Seems simpler with 10??)

No.  If DAX is causing a problem, manually reinstall it
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers

Is there a "fix" to prevent this from happening again?

In general, once DAX is installed, there is no need to uninstall it, even when doing SmartSDR software upgrades.  However, Win10 updates seem to clobber the virtual sound card drivers where a manual reinstall (see above) is needed to recover.  The only we I know to prevent this from happening is to not allow for Windows 10 updates.

I assume I will loose all the setup I've done for DXLab, N1MM, SO2R, etc.  Correct?

Not necessarily. If the third-party app is assigned windows sound devices by name rather than their index number, all should be OK.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just for a test turn OFF your Firewall software in windows AND or any aftermarket internet protection software.
    I use AVAST here and TWICE now after a update to the protection software it has blocked the CAT and DAX ports from talking to the radio and I had to re-create my exceptions. 

Really uninstalling and re-installing your DAX software isn't required UNLESS the program has lost or corrupt some of it's files. 

Worked for me but may not work for you

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Ralph,

One of the "gotchas" in Windows 10 is connected to the windows updates.  Often, when Win 10 does an update it 'eats' the DAX and sometimes CAT software and forces a re-install.

Some protection apps get in the way.  Tim's advice is the gold standard.

73///   Bill K3WA
  • Ralph Fedor
    Ralph Fedor Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I'm not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to computers, so excuse my level of understanding.  Here is what I get on my screen when I do the above:

C:WINDOWSsystem32>cd Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.19-64bit DriversIQ_DAX
    The system cannot find the path specified.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Ralph
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2017
    The path syntax is wrong.  This is correct.

cd Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX

And you do not need to use double quotes.
  • Ralph Fedor
    Ralph Fedor Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I am still struggling with this.  It has to be operator error, but I get this every time.  

C:WINDOWSsystem32>cd c:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.19-64bit DriversIQ_DAX
    The system cannot find the path specified.

C:WINDOWSsystem32>cd: c:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.19-64bit DriversIQ_DAX
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Sorry --- but I really appreciate any help.

Ralph - K0IR
  • Ralph Fedor
    Ralph Fedor Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Tim -- Thank you.  I feel like I'm using up a lot of bandwidth and patience here.  I'd kind of like to crawl into a hole.  But --- I got this far, now what?

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>SmartSDR_IQ_DAX_uninstall.bat

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>REM Uninstall the Slice DAX driver

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>REM 64 bit version

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>REM ** Must be run with elevated Administrator rights **

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>regedit /s RemoveRegistryEntries.reg

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>.wdreg -inf SmartSdr_IQ_DAX.inf -log "C:UsersRalphAppDataRoamingFlexRadio SystemsInstLogsSmartSDR_IQ_DAX.txt" uninstall
    WDREG utility v10.40. Build Oct 17 2011 12:38:06

Processing HWID FlexRadioSystems_DAX_IQ
    Non-DIFxAPI uninstall, driver_in_store 1, devnode_exists 1, devnode_found 1
    Uninstalled 1 devnodes
    LOG ok: 1, ENTER:  DriverPackageUninstallA
    LOG ok: 1, ENTER:  DriverPackageUninstallW
    LOG ok: 1, Uninstalling driver package C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAXSmartSdr_IQ_DAX.inf...
    LOG ok: 1, Successfully uninstalled 'C:WINDOWSINFoem1.inf'.
    LOG ERROR(3): error 2, Failed to uninstall device instance ID 'ROOTMEDIA000'.
    LOG ok: 1, No devices found for C:WINDOWSSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositorysmartsdr_iq_dax.inf_amd64_f52991aefb580822smartsdr_iq_dax.inf uninstall.
    LOG ok: 1, Successfully deleted properties for driver store entry 'C:WINDOWSSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositorysmartsdr_iq_dax.inf_amd64_f52991aefb580822smartsdr_iq_dax.inf'.
    LOG ok: 0, Uninstall completed.
    LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageUninstallW  (0x0)
    LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageUninstallA  (0x0)
    difx_uninstall_inf: err 0, last event 3, last error 2. SUCCESS
    CM_Get_DevNode_Status ret value 0, status 180200b, problem 0
    INF copy %WINDIR%SmartSDR_IQ_DAX.inf cannot be deleted: The system cannot find message text for message number 0x%1 in the message file for %2.

Removed ROOTMEDIA000
    uninstall: completed successfully

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>REM Clen up all installed files

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>del C:WINDOWSinfSmartSdr_IQ_DAX.inf

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>SmartSDR_RXAudio_DAX_install.bat
    'SmartSDR_RXAudio_DAX_install.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>

What goes after this prompt??

Ralph
  • W4KCN
    W4KCN Member
    edited October 2017
    >cd "c:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.19-64bit DriversIQ_DAX"";">cd "c:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.19-64bit DriversIQ_DAX"";0;0;0;24/10/2017 02:15 PM;31/10/2017 08:57 PM
    19043840;7618043;;8173586;0;1; https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/dax-driver-errors-windows-10-current-software?reply[id]=19043840#reply_19043840;"Make sure to include the double quotes for paths with spaces:

cd "c:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.19-64bit DriversIQ_DAX"";"Make sure to include the double quotes for paths with spaces:

cd "c:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.19-64bit DriversIQ_DAX"";0;0;0;24/10/2017 03:04 PM;31/10/2017 08:57 PM
    19044045;7618043;19043681;8173586;0;0; https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/dax-driver-errors-windows-10-current-software?reply[id]=19044045#reply_19044045;"Sorry I misled you below.  I was only using the path you had provided which is incorrect.

Timmy appears to have you in the right direction.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2017
    Ralph,

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1964-bit DriversIQ_DAX>SmartSDR_RXAudio_DAX_install.bat
    'SmartSDR_RXAudio_DAX_install.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

The batch file you tried to run, SmartSDR_RXAudio_DAX_install.bat does not reside in that folder.

You need to run: SmartSDR_IQ_DAX_install.bat from that folder
  • Ralph Fedor
    Ralph Fedor Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Sorry Tim --- Still confused here.  In the new version of software, has there been file name changes?  In your 19 step process, step 10, I don't see the file:  SmartSDR_RXAudio_DAX_uninstall.bat  or its install counterpart. 

Instead I see, SmartSDR_RX_DAX_uninstall  and its install counterpart.

Are these the intended files?

Do I absolutely have to do this through the command window?

Ralph - K0IR

• Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2017
    Yes, there could have been a file name change.  In that folder, run the uninstall version of the batch file first, then run the install version.
  • Ralph Fedor
    Ralph Fedor Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    T wrap this up, here's what I ended up doing:

The combination of typographical errors, file name changes  between versions, and my skill level were more than I could deal with in the time I have available.  Instead I did this ----  I went to the Windows 10 program menu, right clicked the SmartSDR v2.0.19 icon, hit the UNINSTALL option and uninstalled the file.  I then went to my Downloads folder and re-installed SmartSDR.  All my settings were preserved and everything is working great again.  This took 5 minutes.

Ralph - K0IR
  • Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have worked this issue again last weekend and took time today to get it all correct. I found best to turn off all, use the Tim directions to uninstall each set of devices but then I one by one reinstalled and had to fix the DAX IQ RX1, renamed it and then went on to install each in order but checking as I went and finally reloaded the PC and got a clean all working install.
    It still looks like the uninstall still leaves the hidden ones so I went back and deleted each one at a time.
    With VP6D out and working did not like the risk but wanted to get it clean and no issues for RTTY and FT8.  The other doc "Most Common Fix for DAX Driver errors" was very helpful to show what it should be and what it was with some Window updates.
    73, Russ K5OA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.