Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 vs 6500 for CW contesting?

VE3WDM
VE3WDM Member
edited November 2019 in Contesting
I soon am going to be purchasing either a 6300 or 6500 I am 80% CW and 20% digi. I take part in lots of CW contests and was wondering if there was any difference between the 6300 vs the 6500 for this type of contesting. At this time I own an Elecraft k3. 
Mike 
VE3WDM

Answers

• N0AZZ
    N0AZZ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I made a switch from a K3 to a 6300 and after 3 weeks traded it in to Flex for a 6500. Main reason was 4 slices compared to 2 for the 6300 an advantage to any contester be able to see that much more. I'm a phone and digital use here and the digital mode with DAX is excellent with very good reports on phone also, very easy to setup the mic's and with all the controls.

A good reason to buy either from Flex preowned is a full 2 yr warranty and the latest software installed.
  • Charles WO5E
    Charles WO5E Member
    edited October 2017
    Mike, I am not into CW, but I have a very happy experience to share. Recently, I traded my 6300 for a 6500. The difference in receive audio is a significant improvement. I would highly recommend going for the 6500. I use mine with an Elecraft amp and antenna tuner. Perfect compatibility. Good luck and 73, WO5E.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Mike in my opinion the key value of the 6500 over the 6300 for contesters here are the inclusion of contest band pre-selectors(and to a lesser degree slightly better dynamic range).  I also agree that a pre-owned 6500 would be a good value for you.  You can reach out to VA3MW and he will help you out.
  • Olaf, W9FY
    Olaf, W9FY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Hi Charles,
    Curious about your statement on receive audio. Assuming all other things being equal (same speakers and / or headphones), why is receive audio better? Was it different settings you used in each radio? I'm now wondering if there is a difference in the receiver audio circuits between the 6300 and 6500? I had assumed both radios have same audio output circuits--maybe I'm wrong. I'm just learning more about the Flex radios and considering new vs. older signature models.
    Also listening fatigue is  important me so better receive audio can help on that.
    Has anyone else who made the change notice this difference between 6300 and 6500?
    Thanks,
    Olaf W9FY
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    A 6500 over a 6300, definitely. If I were to buy today I would go for a 6700 (which I have) or the 6600 if budget was an issue. 
  • N0AZZ
    N0AZZ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I agree if I would have the extra cash I would have went with 6700 because of Diversity Receive alone, and with 4 more slices.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.