Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Internal noise on mic input Flex 6500

2»

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ken

I really think the in the TX passband garbage seen on the panadapter with DEXP disabled is just inaccuracy. My mic audio thru the monitor, using the Full Duplex trick, or Recorded and then played back, is always dead silent unless the DEXP is disabled. It sounds like what's described as full quieting, I've always thought that even full quieting is probably visible on a spectrum analyzer, as almost but not quite a 0 dB level. It may just be that the panadapter which is useful when observing received signals is not the best display to use observe transmit audio.

What I'm really interested in is confirmation that that noise on the panadapter, (that the DEXP removes) is likely a display anomaly.

The thread I linked makes me think it is.

Possibly being misinterpreted as something it's not. I don't expect to ever see the noise floor flat line no matter how high I set the averaging. So why worry about random digital noise on the input of the panadapter input tap. The difference between 0dB audio and 0.001 dB audio should still register as a 0.001 dB peak on the display, even if it's a meaningless peak because it never registers as anything but 0 dB at the input of the PA. 

How loud, or quiet, is quiet?image
    Is my zero less than your zero?
    How perfect, is perfection?
    I think it is, what it is.
    Good enough for Amateur Radio!
    Might even be better than that.
    We could just be satisfied.

Even with on air playbacks of my mic audio recorded on another 6XXX my mic audio sounds full quieted or at least as full quieted as the mic audio from the other 6XXX.

Which is better, worrying about nothing, or being happy, that it's nothing?
    Worth thinking about, when you think about it.image

73, Jay - NO5J

And yes, the two Jays posting in this thread, are really two different people, even I get confused.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is why I like the DEXP. It keeps things quiet. If I set it right, it even quiets my breathing sounds from the mic!
  • John Bailey
    John Bailey Member
    edited October 2017
    I have the MIC input noise issue here as well.  200Hz and its harmonics only on the mic input.  Noise goes up and down with mic gain or the +20dB in setup.  The dexp helps, but is only masking the problem.  ACC input looks clean as well as PC audio.  It's NOT an RF issue, unless it's internal to the flex.

John KB1YFD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.