Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SPE Expert Amp 1.3k FA QSK/QRQ

Lewis Cheek
Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Anyone using the Expert 1.kk FA with high speed full break-in, and if so how well does it perform, where does it ( speed) fail to switch, if it does fail ?

Looking for something that will run full output/full break-in/QRQ without issues.

My Elecraft KPA-500 works well, but it's low power. My Acom 1500 will run full break-in but NOT QRQ.

Lew
N4CO

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I do and I put 30ms delay just in case. However they claim that it can switch very fast. Hasn't been a problem for me. I haven't really gone faster than 40wpm
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Ria -

Setting up my 1.3k.  Which delay did you set at 30ms?  

The 'Delay' in SmartSDR "P/CW" panel? 
    The delay in Settings > Radio Setup > TX > RCA TX1? 
    The delay in Settings > Radio Setup > TX > TX Delay?

Three delays are possible.

73 John K1ESE
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The last one. 
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You might want to consult the manual but if I remember correctly.

P/CW panel is actually delay added to end of TX before RX
    RCA TX1, 2, 3 are delay at start of TX
    TX Delay is an additional delay added to whatever is in TX1, 2, 3

I typically put the delay in the TX1, 2, 3 depending what line I am using for PTT control.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    That’s what I do as well. Prevents chopped off dits at the beginning.
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I'm confused.  Ria, do you put it in 
    Settings > Radio Setup > TX > TX Delay
    as you said earlier or in 
    Settings > Radio Setup > TX > RCA TX1?
    as you are saying now?

John K1ESE

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
  • Carl K5HK
    Carl K5HK Member
    edited December 2017
    Ria,

I have 6300 and SPE Expert 1.3K FA amp here.   Reported key clicks on Top Band alas.  I had no delays set and just set your suggested 30 TX Delay.  Alas, I have a remote MFJ 998 tuner at the base of my Marconi Tee with elevated radials for Top Band and it will not retune as I qsy in a contest with high power so SWR sometimes gets over 2:1 and that is when I am getting reports of bad key clicks.  I try to retune as I move with exciter only at about 20w frequently but sometimes don't notice soon enough swr getting up near 2:1 where seem to have key click problems.   A nice one or two second tune from the exciter would be nice but don't see a way to set that up using that tuner remotely alas.  Maybe the TX delay with help -- I will be testing with local station later today hopefully on that.  Any ideas?

73 K5HK - Carl
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi Carl,

Sorry to hear you're having key clicks! I've since sold my 1.3K-FA in anticipation of the PowerGenius XL amp. SPE claims they had special contacts on their relays which do not arc. Hmm. Maybe you can ask them. Sorry.

Ria, N2RJ
  • Carl K5HK
    Carl K5HK Member
    edited December 2017
    Ok Ria,

Thanks for all you comments.  I'll take it up with SPE and MFJ on the remote tuner side.  

Carl K5HK
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I've been running my 2K-FA without any delay on break-in and it seems to be doing quite well.  Not one report so far of funny stuff going on.

But since I'm not contesting and trying to be the fastest guy on the band I'll probably put in the short TX delay as well.  It certainly cannot hurt.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.