Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Questions about the 6400M using external Maestro or PC control

Ed
Ed Member
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Questions about the 6400M. Can you use an external Maestro with the 6400M at the same time having both on? Also running the 6400M with a PC can the 6400M Maestro and HDMI output to a larger screen be on as well as the PC screen?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    This is addressed in the FAQ.  At the initial release, you can use the front panel -or- a different client (Maestro, SSDR, SSDR-iOS) to operate the radio.  In a future release of SmartSDR v2, you will have an opportunity to operate in multi-client mode where the front panel is enabled at the same time you are using a software client to operate the radio.  I have no time frames on when Multi-Client will be available.

Also running the 6400M with a PC can the 6400M Maestro and HDMI output to a larger screen be on as well as the PC screen?

In multi-client mode, that is one of the intended features.  Again, this is not a promise, but what we intend to do.  We will not know for certain until we code everything up and test it.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Question: If you output to a large monitor can you turn off the front display on the radio?
    I guess you would need a touch monitor?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    Probably not.  It is too early in the development cycle to say for certain.
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Would, as a minimum, the 6400M radio display goes into Sleep Mode when an external monitor is used?
    What reasons would it be kept active, if all activity is being selected on the external monitor?

Tom W3FRG

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Tom we discussed this in another thread.  They are still shaking it out and what happens to the front display probably has a lot to do with multi client implementation.

I am hoping they turn the display into a information center when SSDR is running. A multi function meter would be ideal.
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Hello Flex. I have a question please. I own a Flex 5000A,. I just love it. I have been interested in the future Flex 6400m. My question is, does this radio have point and click capability via the mouse when used on an external monitor without using a PC? or Maestro?  I heard from a credible source that they do not? If this is true it would be a deal breaker for me since using the 5000A that has point and click via mouse capabilities. Anyone with this info a Flex employee would be good. Otherwise, please make sure your information is credible before you post your answer. Thank you. 73.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I was under the impression that the 5000 required an external PC running PowerSDR in order to process the data from the 5000.  The PowerSDR enabled mouse control.  Am I wrong?

The 6000 series can operate with IOS, SmartSDR on a PC, laptop or tablet or the Maestro.  Point and click control with a mouse requires SmartSDR.  The PC running SmartSDR does not have to be a very powerful PC.  Actually I have run it on a pretty lame laptop or a low power cube PC.  These are very inexpensive and one can be dedicated to running SmartSDR and attached to the back of the monitor if one wishes. 

I personally use a normal PC because I like to have lots of other integrated applications running along with my 6000.  Logging and or digital applications and lots of others.  The 6000 is very versatile but will not let you just connect a monitor and mouse to operate.  You will need SmartSDR running on either a PC, laptop or IOS box or use the Maestro.

Norm - W7CK
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
     Thanks Norm for your comment. I was under the impression that the PC is built in on the 6400M? And with knowing that Icom IC 7600  and the new 7610 coming out has this feature,yes you can plug in a usb mouse and point and click your frequency. Now don't get me wrong, I love my Flex 5000a and yes I do need a Pc to run it and it does have point and click via the mouse. 
     I guess what I'm saying is, If this radio is a stand alone unit with the Pc built in and the capability to use an external larger video monitor, I would think that it should at least be capable of plugging your usb mouse in and point and click without the need of anything extra such as an external computer and running smart SDR or using the Maestro.
     With a radio of this caliber and cost, And with the Flex name on it I think it would be a big mistake not to do this simply because most Flex owners the 5000a and 6000 signature series in particular do have this feature. But buying a newer Flex and having the Pc built in and the capability of using a larger video monitor plug and play automatically makes me think that yes It does have point and click via just a usb mouse. Now as a Flex owner, I would hope that it can be added with a simple update. I want to use the Flex trade in and order one but, I need to know this information first .
     And with the many hams that are awaiting and paid to get in line for it may be in for a rude awakening if it does not have this feature out of the box. Please do not get me wrong, I'm just thinking ahead and thinking what other amateurs are only assuming. Any other thoughts on this or info please let me know. I promote Flex radio and I don't want you to think that I'm being negative. I love my Flex and look forward to a new one someday.
     and as I stated before I am available for any beta testing you can toss my way. LOL.
                  Thanks again. 73  

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I would simply re ask your question, enter a new post,,and just ask if a mouse can be used on the 6400M

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.