Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-6700 when using FT8 shifts freq on transmit

Ernest
Ernest Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

I have 6 slices open: 4 on FT8 on 3.57, 7.04, 14.07, and 21.07: One on PSK 14.08 and one on 14.3 SSB.
FT8 works fine on 14.07. However, when I tried to change slice to a different frequency: The FT8 software defaults to 20 meters. I've disabled all the receiver DAX commands on the slice and the DAX transmit.
When I enable DAX transmit and receive on 3.57 other frequency 7,04, 21.07: FT8 automatically reverts to 14.07.
I have gone as far, as to shutting off  FT8 and the Flex radio and  restarting it, to no avail.  Where am I going wrong or missing? THIS IS NOT A FRS PROBLEM ... That I am aware.

Ps. I am trying to be back on the air after one long month been off the air to get my Hy-Gain 18HT repaired due to hurricane Irma. 

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Screenshot CAT as well.

A couple things I can think of:
    "Fake it" is causing it to move up and down. 
    Another software program is causing the band changes. 

Try disabling "fake it" in the WSJTX setup and see if that works. On Flex signature series radios it is not necessary to use that. It's really only needed for conventional transceivers that are optimized for SSB speech. 
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thank you Ria,
    Fake it was not checked on the setup and enclosed is my SmartSDR CAT setup.
    I have not done any setup changed,during or after we returned to the Island. 
    I emailed you a month ago to your ARRL address. I was visiting friends in Greenwood Lake, NY.image

• Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thank you Ria,
    Fake  was not checked on the setup and enclosed is my SmartSDR CAT setup.
    I have not done any setup changed,during or after we returned to the Island. 
    I emailed you a month ago to your ARRL address. I was visiting friends in Greenwood Lake, NY.image
    Port 5002 is set to slice B to control WJST x

I think I know the answer...I need to setup CAT to a slice B for the same port above.!
    Age is limiting my abilities. LOL

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    FT8 has a band setting.  If it is not used to change frequencies, then it will reset your slice back to the frequency of the band.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    In the SSDR CAT port setup, check the state of the 'auto switch TX slice' option for each port that your will be using for TX..
    AL, K0VM
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Ernest, one thing I notice that is different from your CAT configuration and mine.  I use a different local host port for each slice/ WSJT/JtAlert instantiation i.e 6001, 6002 etc.  I then have a desktop shortcut for each WSJT. Everything works well for me.  The only problem I have is WSJT will sometimes not close, leaving an exe background task. Windows task manager is needed to **** the zombie exe.

• Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    After looking at the  problem, I figured out that Ria's hint of the CAT problem can be solved by creating a Slice: A, B, C, D etc... Or as WB5NHL has done, by using different local host port; such as 6001, 6002 etc...
    I chose to do the TCP: Port 5002 and Slice A,B,C,etc... Which now, I can  switch to different band frequencies. This method works without having to turn off the DAX on one slice so the next frequency slice can work.. AL, K0VM relies on the "auto switch." And that depends on remembering what's what, where;: which requires more than my memory holds.
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Tim, that's what I used to change frequencies.  If, I can now be able to change HRD Logbook frequency and band. I will become a very happy camper!
  • marinesvcs at gmail dot com
    edited February 2019
    So, I've had a slightly different problem.  Very close, but below 1500hz in the band window and I'll transmit on 1840.  Just below, I transmit on 1839.5.  Up around 2000hz, it transmits on 1840.5,

I switched to CW to work a guy, came back and it's fixed - no other changes.  SSDR 2.1.33 and Win 10.  Seems to me that I've noticed it on the Maestro, too.

edited March 2018
    And....it went back to doing it ten minutes later with no change on my part.  both 1.8 and 1.9 WSJT-X
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Sure sounds like RF bothering the radio.
    edited April 2018
    I know what you're saying, but it does it at 5 watts or 150 watts, and is different depending upon where I am set in the passband...and doesn't do it on other modes.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Its not RF..  two of us here in the NE also have this same problem or indication using Flex 6400 and 6600 radios.  If we lock the TX frequency on the Flex the DX Labs Commander still changes the 500 cycles.     This is with the very latest FT8 program and 2.1.33 Flex firmware.    It can be tested with just using the TUNE Mode in WSJT and watching the Flex and or DX Labs Commander frequency readout.   
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I think this may be wsjt-x shifting the center frequency when you have selected one of the options for "split" operation in the settings. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Larry, this is because you have Fake It selected in the radio setup. The radio will shift TX frequency to keep the transmit tones centered in the TX passband. Not as much of an issue with the Flex but it helps older radios with narrow TX passband. It does not hurt to leave it set to Fake It.

Dave wo2x

edited April 2018
    My shift, as I described further up in my comment, shifts it AWAY from the center of the passband. Fake it is necessary for the DXPedition mode...
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Post a picture of your radio settings tab in WSJT-x
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks Dave,   I found that blurb in the WSJT "instructions" finally :)    Due to the new FT8 Fox feature, I shall leave it as is.  Threw me for a day or two though!.    I can at least lock the slice if i dont want to see it on the Flex.    The DXLabs Commander readout still changes though.   Something else to have some fun with.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    This is normal. WSJT-X will use CAT to keep your audio tones roughly centered in the transmit passband. That way, the tones are in the most linear part of the passband (mostly an issue for non-Flex rigs). Your "DF" tone remains the same, however.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Gang, please DO use "fake it" with CAT, and DO NOT use "Fox/Hound" mode in normal operation. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.