Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is anyone else still having issues after upgrading to 1.11

2»

Answers

• Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I had my second 1.11 crash overnight. 6300 had been on since last Saturday morning when I recovered it from the first crash. It's lasted almost a week but not quite on rx all time and with occasional use in morning 80m nets. Once again I had to cut the power to the radio this morning as single press on button would not close it down. Have left it running on rx only since this morning to see how long it lasts this time.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2017
    We have an open defect for these reports (#5222) and all applicable data reported has been added to the report detail.
  • Rick Ciotti W3DIY
    Rick Ciotti W3DIY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I submitted a ticket for this, afterwards I noticed a software update twice at power up.
    There has not been a crash since then. Only issue...sometimes it takes longer for the Maestro to detect the radio. Waiting a min. or so it eventually discovers the 6500. There was no delay like this with the previous version SW. I am OK with this, the radio works vry FB otherwise. FRS will figure it out.
    W3DIY
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited October 2017
    6300 has been on all week with no issues until again today it started to crash. On this, my third since upgrading to 1.11, I was operating in the uk/ei ssb contest at the time, so I was able to observe what was happening (previous two occasions have been on rx only when I was out of the shack). I had been band hopping for around an hour or so and was cqing on 40m ssb when the receive audio audio started distorting, and I could hear via my monitor in my headphones that my tx was also starting to go darlek like. I stopped calling cq but it kept on distorting on rx - very similar issue to what I observed doing a few contests on ssb with 1.10.160 a few months ago, and I noticed the network latency increasing and going from full green bars down to one or two red ones. Rather than wait for the inevitable crash I decided to close down ssdr 1.11 to see if re opening it would sort the issue out. A reload of ssdr did not sort out the problem as the network indicator was still drifting down and then drifting back up without my doing any tx. Now, before someone says its my network, I use cat 5 direct to router from the shack switch and no wifi is in use, plus none else in the house was on a pc or other device and we have 14mbps download speed on broadband. I decided to reboot the radio, which did switch off with just the usual one touch on the switch. When it rebooted it seemed to take longer than usual to boot back up, but when it did I was able to carry on contesting with full green network indicators again and no distortion on rx or tx.

So, from the above, I think I have narrowed it down to something happening in the 6300 over a period of time, which ends up affecting the network connection via the shack switch and eventually causing the audio to distort on rx and tx - I am sure it would have crashed eventually if I had not intervened and re booted the radio, since the two recent crashes on 1.11 have both been on rx only when I have been out of the shack. I am suspecting that multiple band changes and general profile hopping this pm may have been a contributing factor possibly?

I will carry on giving away points in the contest later on tonight and tomorrow, with lots of band hopping to see if it brings on another crash.

Tim, I hope the above may assist in narrowing down the issue which is causing the crash problem. Its definitely not a network issue as my other laptop pc on the bench was still working fine on the same switch and network with dx lab running and some web sites on explorer.

Back to the bands, 73

Steve gw9j / gw0gei
  • GM4WCE
    GM4WCE Member
    edited October 2017
    That is the exact same sequence of events I get here with 1.11.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    Steve and Peter,

This report helps a lot.  I have entered a new defect in our bug tracker (#5277) to address this specific issue of audio distortion and degraded network performance that requires a radio reboot to mitigate.  Thank you.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    No problem Tim, and hope it helps. It's displaying exactly the same symptoms prior to crash that the previous 1.10.160 displayed, so hopefully once found the fix will solve this long term issue. I shut the 6300 down again last night as I needed to allow w10 do its big upgrade - went ok so 6300 was back up upgain this evening for an hour long domestic cw contest on 80m. I will be leaving it on again now 24/7 to see how long it goes - as I work during the week it's mainly used for 15 min sched on 80m ssb some mornings, and short 80m contests mid week evenings - it's only at weekends that it gets more band hopping and general profile hopping in longer hf contests.
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited October 2017
    Radio had crashed again yesterday morning when i returned to the shack - had been running 24/7 on receive since Wednesday morning. It required the power supply to be cut as single button push did not switch the 6300 off.

I was playing with n1mm set up for cqww ssb multi two yesterday pm and mentoring a team member in the use of the 6300 in so2r dual band use - carried on testing the contest set up after he had gone home and noticed that network bars were going yellow and red when i was moving bands via my profiles list - the radio didnt crash but green bars came back a couple of minutes after each general profile band change selection. Further evidence that this crash problem is both time and band hopping profile swapping related?

I am going to keep my ic7300 on the bench for cqww ssb m2 next weekend in case we have more 6300 crash issues with all of the band hopping we will be doing. Steve gw0gei / gw9j in cqww
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited October 2017
    Glad I kept the ic7300 on the bench for cqww - I had two crashes on ssdr in the first couple of hours of the contest - distorted rx audio again and then tx audio and then disconnect. Rebooted the radio after having to remove the power supply to get it to switch off. Within 45 mins it crashed again, so I gave up, and spent ten minutes reconfiguring n1mm for the ic7300 as the main radio in so1v mode and that radio was fine for the rest of the contest, alongside a friend's k3 in the other room.

I am now retiring my 6300 for contesting use until such time as frs fix this long standing problem. It is very disappointing, and embarrassing, given that I have been advocating flex 6000 radios to friends and young contesters, only to now have to admit that the current 1.11 ssdr is no more reliable than the 1.10.160 or the version before that.  
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Try wiring your 6300 directly to your Maestro.  No switch between them. 
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited November 2017
    I dont own or use a maestro Norm. I just use mouse and flex knob
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    My 6300 crashed again last night during an hour long 80m ssb contest. Just suddenly disconnected with no warning this time. It crashed still in tx and I had to remove the power to get it to reboot. It lost persistence when it did reboot, so I lost my run frequency. It's now the subject of a trade in discussion with our nearest radio shop as I have finally reached the end of my patience with this bug. Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited November 2017
    Well no uk dealer wants to trade a 6300 and no luck selling it myself despite reducing the price to below 1300.  I guess I am stuck with the radio, back in its box, until FRS resolve the ssdr bugs causing the random disconnects. Hopefully those of us affected by this problem  may get an update in the next FRS newsletter? Steve gw0gei / gw9j

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.