Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR crashes when monitor goes to sleep

Patrick
Patrick Member ✭✭✭
SmartSDR crashes when monitor goes to sleep or wakes, can't tell due to lack of visibility. But please not that PC is not set to sleep, but is set in power settings to run 100% of the time. I use windows 7 on i5 NUC computer with all updates installed.

Answers

• Tony Taddeo
    Tony Taddeo Member
    edited June 2020
    I would double check your settings as I suggest you are losing network connectivity. You can check this by trying to ping the computer over the network from another machine when the screen goes blank. Tony VK5TT
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Your network adapter might be going to sleep. Check the power option on the adapter.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Also check power management in Windows 7. Try setting it to high performance. Dave wo2x
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Nope, it running 100% of time.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Has been set to high performance sinc day one on this computer and OS.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Checked all items and when monitor sleeps and is pingable up 100%.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The i5 NUC seems to have a variety of issues like this. Enough variations that you'd have to do some research on your specific model, generation, driver and all that. It isn't just any one thing apparently either. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2017
    Is SmartSDR actually crashing or just disconnecting from the radio?  If a true crash, could you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?  This might help us to understand what is going on.  Without that information, the others are on the trail of the most likely scenarios for this kind of issue (power management, power saving mode, etc).  I understand WH6HI has this already checked this, but I include this here for others that may run into this same problem.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    I've been running dual monitors that go to sleep after 2 hours for 3 years will all versions of SSDR including all the ALPHA for the past 2 years  with out a problem. I have set everything the like network adapter, USB ports etc to never go to sleep or to go power saving mode. The only thing that shuts down are the monitors. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I wonder how Pat is doing with his problem?
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    HI all,  thanks for sticking with me on this.  Looks like the issue is in the ethernet.  Can't figure out which setting are causing the issue.  Power saving  sleep etc.  will keep looking. 
    thanks again for your help.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    There is a sleep setting in the driver itself that one has to change via the device manager.  It sounds like you caught that, however.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    My solution for now is to just turn sleep mode for the monitor off for now.  I am to busy with other things to continue the trouble shooting.  So thanks to all that made suggestions.  Not giving up just have lots of other things that need to get done.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

This is a last update, on a submission that I frankly forgot about. The reason is that as of version .37 and .39, I run 100%, no lockup’s no crashes always on, 24/7 and have had up time as long as 60 days with out issue. Only my local power provider has been less reliable. I do not have to worry that it will crash, making remote operation more feasible. Well, it’s almost perfect, except that in order to make remote operation really 100% reliable, one needs to invest in remote control devices to reboot systems if there is a crash or most likely an external event. I recently went back to the mainland after a long Covid delay to take care of urgent personal business. I was able to operate remote nicely until, power failed, long enough to crash the radio. I have UPS back up, but it only lasts so long, even with automatic computer restart. So, add this to my wish list, is automatic radio reboot and remote reset. But, in reality nothing is perfect, but improvements are expected. Of course all this perfection comes with cost. That is reality.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.