Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows again!

KC0EM
KC0EM Member ✭✭
After my computer reported it had updated for my security, all audio stopped! Nothing on any DAX channel, nothing from a QSO, nothing if I try to listen Pandora, and my dictation program says if can't find the front panel microphone jack. I tried a restore just before the update and nothing was fixed. I tried the trouble shooter Microsoft  has and it reports no problem! I am stumped. Does anyone have any idea where to look next or what to do next?

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSD...

The above URL directs you to Tim's recommended removal to initiate a new reload of SmartSDR. This, in my opinion, is the weak link in the chain in SmartSDR in that it takes so much time to do this and do it correctly. There might be a more remedial approach and I have been slapped on the hands several times with this recommendation.

Jim, K6QE

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2020
    That is a little extream at this stage.  Try restoring DAX first
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Looks like a great opportunity for someone (not me!) to write a batch file to accomplish this task.

Jim, K6QE

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Good luck.  Make sure you have all of the dependencies covered.
  • jim
    jim Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I have all windows 10 updates and have never had any problems with my system using 6500.
    I must be doing something right

• Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Read the original post - ALL of his audio is gone.  This doesn't sound like a SmartSDR/DAX problem to me but rather a sound system driver problem.  Everyone is quick to blame Flex whenever the underlying Windows OS on their PC is at fault.

And, Tim, aren't there already uninstall/install batch files in the 3 DAX folders in "C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.0.1764-bit Drivers"?  I see they're dated from June of 2016, but they look fairly straightforward.  Would these do what Jim, K6QE, requested, especially if they were chained together as one batch file?

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I found that simply removing SSDR and reinstalling was easier than the 19 step DAX-only method!
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Try this:  Right click on the speaker icon on the right side of the task bar.  Click on playback devices.  Scroll down to the bottom.  Near the bottom click on "high definition speakers: right click and click set as default device.  That has always worked for me.
    Good Luck
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    You are merely lucky. I went a long time with no problems, and now am getting hit a lot. 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I have found that the simplest thing is to use Revo uninstaller and deep remove everything. And I mean everything I do this as a sanity keeper, after every update because it's just easier than getting angry at the debacle tht is Windows 10.

Windows 7 still going without missing a beat. Of course, it doesn't get Microsoft's help any more. 

• Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    The fact that Windows 7 doesn't get Microsoft's help is a blessing I think. That is why I will run Windows 7 as long as I can.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'm way down in the replies, so hopefully you will see this. Windows 10 often decides for you what driver is correct, and overwrites the one you were using. Then their troubleshooter looks at it and decides "Yes, you have a great driver, and this will work perfectly". 

Problem is, it doesn't. You need to go to the manuuafcturer of your sound card, then download and install their driver for your card. This should get you back in business. 

As for why it happens, after Windows updates "help you"  I think Windows goes to the first sound driver in the system, and if it breaks, they all break. 

Now you just hope it doesn't keep happening.

I dream of SSDR on Linux.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If that's truly the case, go to Device Manager, select the sound card device, click on the Driver tab and roll the driver back to the previous version.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Supposedly a rollback, also causes windows to stay on the rolled back version and not ever mess with that devices driver automatically anymore.
    I'll try that the next time windows attacks. image

73 Jay / NO5J

• KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Hi,

I have been trying to attack this problem logically. I uninstalled SmartSDR and even some “ghost ports.” I think Greg, N8GD, is correct and it is a sound system driver problem. 

This is what I know the audio for my computer uses for audio such as Pandora or my dictation program. In the Device Manager under Sound, Video, and game controllers I see the below.

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

No drivers are installed for this device.

When I look at the “Driver File Details” I see

CWINDOWSsystem32driverskstrunk.sys

It looks like there is a driver but it is not installed. I assume it should be installed. I don’t know how to do that. I don’t understand how an update would cause this problem, but I am not a computer expert. At 76 I am still learning and now I need to learn how to reinstall this driver. Hopefully all problems will then be solved. I did not upgrade to version 2.XX . I am using SmartSDR V1.10.16.

My thanks to all who have taken their time to reply.

• Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    What is the make (brand) and model of your PC.  If you know that you can usually go to the manufacturer's website and download the audio drivers so you can manually install them.  If you're not sure how to do that, see if you can come up with the make and model of the system and post it here and I'll see if I can dig up a driver installation package for you.

PS: I think the file you have is "ksthunk.sys" NOT kstrunk.

• KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Greg,

Thanks to you I am up and running. I have an HP computer and their site was easy to use and I got the driver installed and learned I needed some other updates. It taken me this long because of other demands on my time. I had more time to myself when I was working Hi  Hi. I am listening to my Flex 6500 on 75m at the moment. Thanks again.

"VC" KC0EM
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Your best source for drivers is the device's manufacturer, in this case, HP.  Using generic drivers from the chip manufacturer "might' work, but what is supplied by HP is always the best course.

I'm pleased you got it working again.  I know about having more time in the past: I used to run my own computer consulting and repair business for 15 years.  Now that I'm retired I still take care of 7 of my own desktops, about 4 laptops, a few tablets, a couple of smartphones, and then there's about a half dozen PCs at our church and 4 systems I watch over for my good friend who's also my accountant.  Plus there's all the PCs that I look at for friends and relatives when I travel several times a year.  Hey, it keeps me engaged in the world of Windows, for better or worse!
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    [quote] I think Windows goes to the first sound driver in the system, and if it breaks, they all break. [/quote] No. There's an actual algorithm, the steps and defaults for which vary depending on the version of Windows involved. Usually, Windows will select the most specific driver that the supplying vendor indicates matches your device, as long as it's passed all the Microsoft-specified compatibility tests (called the HLK or WHQL tests).

You can download th latest driver directly from a vendor website and use that directly, whether it's passed the compatibility tests or not. That's what I typically do. Usually, that newer version of the driver will be supplied as part of a future Windows update.

Peter
    K1PGV
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Greg,

I think I'd go crazy if all I had to do was sit around and do nothing. It sounds like you feel the same way. I was glad to the HP website because it's even got some troubleshooting tools and keeps track of things needing updating, so I shouldn't have any problem with outdated drivers etc. Again,  thanks for your help.

VC, KC0EM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.