Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR iOS listening mode.

Andy M5ZAP
Andy M5ZAP Member
edited August 2020 in New Ideas
Hi I enjoy using smart SDR iOS app and find myself listening 95% of the time. I also find the audio clicks and pops rather tiring especially when on a poor cellular connection or if on wifi when the phone regularly scans the wifi networks and you get bad audio breakup during this scan event. To make it worse the app or the iOS itself seems to raise the audio levels after audio breakup making it more apparent. I have noticed when using other audio communication apps on the same networks there is no perceived audio breakup. In fact we have experimented useing the apps at the same time sending flex audio via SSDR v2 and WhatsApp etc. I assume this is due to the apps having very different latency requirements and the SSDR iOS also sending the visual Vita data. I also think the other apps must have some clever interpolation algorithms to fill in missing voice data. A good idea would be to have a listening mode where after tuning to a signal you could loose the visual data and introduce a larger buffer to allow more pleasant listening to a signal under less than ideal network connectivity conditions. I understand that this would not be any good if trying to transmit. But a mode that also allows quick dropping and reinstatement of visual data could still be very useful. Couple of other comments. Setting waterfall rate to zero does not stop data flow. Hiding waterfall does not stop dataflow. It continues at rate selected before hiding. Any comments Marcus?
1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Hi Andy,

I notice the pops and clicks too, sometimes even on my LAN.

I do think you are on to something.  When SmartLink 2.x came out there is an option for a low bandwidth connection. From what I can tell this really just sets slower parameters for pan.  I could be wrong on that.

But think FRS really does need to implement a true low bandwidth mode.  In my mind we should have these options:

No waterfall data sent - This would help a lot

Pan frame rate decrease - This is easy to do and would help

Pan frame interlacing or skipping - The idea where would be to send a pan frame where about 1/2 of the normal data is sent.  Basically just a detail point skipping mode.  Right now there is a point for every pixel of the width of your pan.  Especially on small displays like a phone or iPad I think under a low BW connection most of us would be just fine with fewer detail points.

These things need to be in the radio and clients would have to react to them.

Mark
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    Set the Network mode to low.
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited August 2017
    Have already tried every conceivable setting and have the data flow very low < 40kb/s. Which is well below the station upload and remote up and download speed so is more complex than speed alone as has been discussed elsewhere.

I read Marcus's explanation of how low network settings optimises the data rate.

Just be nice to be able quickly flick to audio only after tuning etc and then Flick back again.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    All setting the low bandwidth option does is prevent persistence.  The clicks, pops and drop-outs are the same.

This is when using the built-in WiFi to LTE hotspot in my 2018m Porsche Panamera.

Using a Netgear LTE-Advanced portable hotspot makes no difference.

The Maestro doesn't seem to be as picky.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.