Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote CW with a paddle and Maestro - it works!

John - AF3K
John - AF3K Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I really wanted to see how sending CW with a paddle via Maestro would work remotely.  This morning I made about a dozen contacts with Maestro + paddle + SmartLink connected back to the 6500 in the shack via an Android smartphone acting as a Verizon hot spot. 

Because I wanted to see if I could get the same UI experience as when the Maestro is on the shack's LAN, the Maestro settings for FPS (panadapter frame rate), Rate (waterfall speed), etc. were not changed. 

Obervations
-Wow! It really works! :) Kudos to the Flex team!
-Great fun @ 30 WPM during this morning's Mini-CWT contest. 
-No need for any mental timing compensation.
-Tuning with the Maestro knob, or tapping on the screen, works like in the shack.
-The panadapter and meters on the Maestro work just as in the shack.
-A downside: the not so nice sounding Maestro CW side-tone when remote.     

My conclusion
I'd say all things considered, if you want to send CW with a paddle..and want a great remote setup ... get a Maestro and go for it!

John AF3K

MORE DETAILS

Data Usage:
-Maestro network info showed 156ms latency and rx rate of 1438 kbps.
-Used 288 Megabytes of billable data in 30 mins. 
-Equivalent to 7.6 Megabytes/Min
-Equivalent to 1 Megabit per second.
-Not sure why the discrepancy between the billed rate of 1 Mbps and the 1.438 mbps Rx rate reported in the Maestro screen.
-To reduce data usage there seem to be lots of things to try that don't change the experience all that much - I noticed for example that in addition to changing FPS and Rate, enabling the new 2.0 "metering sidebar" reduces bandwidth by about 10% - I'd guess because less panadapter data is needed. 

Remote setup details:
-Paddle plugged into Maestro CW jack
-30 WPM using Maestro Winkeyer 3
-Maestro running SmartLink and WiFi
-Android phone acting as WiFi hotspot
-Verizon Internet LTE (SpeedTest: 64Mbps/28Mbps 36ms latency)

Shack setup details:
-6500 via ethernet to router 
-Arris TM822R DOCSISS 3.0 cable modem
-Comcast internet (SpeedTest: 180Mbps/24Mbps 10ms latency)

Comments

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks John for a great post!   I don't have a maestro but it is nice to know this can work.

30 wpm!  Wow... when I try to send that fast my paddle I sound like some 2 year old playing around with the key!   I'm copying these days about 22 reliably and callsigns, 5NN, etc at about 40.  But I sure cannot send that fast.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

That was a great post. Sir, you made my day!

Jim, K6QE

• Chris
    Chris Member
    edited August 2017
    Are you using a Winkeyer?
    Do I have to attach a winkeyer to the Maestro to work wit a Lambic Paddle?

Thanks for the great post.
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Chris - Maestro includes an internal Winkeyer. Just plug your key or paddle directly into the jack on the back.  There is a knob on the Maestro front panel that controls sending speed.  There is also a setup screen accessed from the main menu for detailed settings (iambic A, iambic B, reverse, etc.). 
    John AF3K
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Mark - BTW... re: sending @ 30... It's at my upper limit, and only doable for short contest type exchanges. It's also a pretty new experience for me. The enabler being the (splurge) upgrading of the old Vibrokeyer to a Begali Mono.  - 73, John, AF3K
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I've been running CW with the Maestro for a year and a half, and have never had a problem (except for disliking the sidertone) at all. I run normally between 25-30 wpm and have the F1 and F2 keys mapped to CWX for **** DX QSOs. The Bencher paddle works fine too.
  • Larry Krainson
    edited March 2019
    Is there a way to set memories on the Maestro for cw?

• John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Larry, 

1) Frequency memories are accessible via Maestro Menu -> Memory.
    2) CW keyer memories can be assigned to F1 - F6 via Menu -> Function F1-F6

• KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    OK John.. I don't know where I missed it before but you just sold another Maestro for FlexRadio. To me, being able to operate CW remotely is a must and your post is the first I've seen to definitively say it was possible and doable. Guess it's time to get the checkbook out. Matt????
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Dave - Wow. I hope you like the setup or I'm going to feel bad. 
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I'm sure I will. I've been looking for an excuse to pull the trigger. I'm sitting in a hotel room in Lexington, KY trying to operate and will be here another week. I am using the CWX but  would like the ability to use my key too. 

I have a 6-8 week road trip coming up and will be operating from the hotels and motor home. Hey Flex…. you bringing any Maestro's to Dayton to sell there? 

• John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    One thing I couldn't do with the Maestro remote configuration was hear the CW sidetone when using programs like N1MM+ that generate CW.  However, this can be accomplished by adding a WinKeyerUSB and running N1MM+ on a laptop next to the remote Maestro.

This WinKeyerUSB setup provides sidetone from the Maestro for N1MM+ generated CW. A paddle may be used simultaneously.  CW speed is changed from within N1MM+ as you would expect. 

Here are the details:
    • Connect the RCA Key1 output of the WinKeyerUSB to the Mestro Key jack.
    • Connect the USB output from the Winkeyer USB to the PC running N1MM+
    • Note the COM port used by Winkeyer USB on the PC - (COM 3 in my case)
    • In N1MM Configurer --> Hardware, select the WinkeyerUSB COM port, and check CW/Other. 
    • Do not setup a Flex Winkeyer CAT port in N1MM+.
    Caveats and more:
    • The above is using v2.4.9.45 of the Flex Maestro software, I haven't tired it on earlier versions.
    • If you don't have a WinkeyerUSB handy, it might be worthwhile waiting to see if Flex offers a more elegant solution in subsequent versions of SmartSDR before purchasing a new WinkeyerUSB.
    • If all you want to do is use a key or paddle with a remote Maestro (no PC generated code), Maestro has an internal Winkeyer and generates a sidetone out of the box - no need for a WinKeyerUSB.  
    • VE6WZ points out in his post another alternative if you are OK with typing CW - no paddle.
    Remote N1MM+ setup for WinkeyerUSB:

Remote Maestro CW setup when using WinkeyerUSB:

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Seems like this is a very nice scenario!
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Tnx John. I will try this as well.

Tim VE6SH
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    The answer is probably self-evident but does it work with a bug or a straight key?  I don't use keyers.  Like another poster, I didn't know about the Maestro supporting CW -- that was my big gripe when Version 2 came out -- I couldn't send cw -- except via keyboard with the remote set-up I had, so, I abandoned remote operations completely.  Looks like I may pick one up at the Hamvention.
    One other question -- was the remote from some distance via internet or via your local wi-fi?

Andy, k2oo
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Andy -

1) I haven't tried it, but the v2.4.9 Maestro manual (3 Jan 2019) says you can use a straight key, which implies a bug would be fine as well. 

2) Most of the remote operation I've done uses my mobile phone as a hotspot. The path is: Remote Maestro Wifi <--> Wifi hotspot on phone <--> Verizon LTE wireless network <--> Internet <--> AF3K Comcast Internet <--> AF3K shack router <--> AF3K wired connection to Flex 6x00.

The Flex Maestro manual mentions that wired connections are generally preferred.
  • Steve Killeen
    Steve Killeen Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    With the new version of SmartSDR 3.****, while operating remote with WinKeyerUSB and running N1MM+ on a laptop next to the remote Maestro, deos your setup still work ? 

I wonder when they will fix the remote sidetone issue with regards to the Maestro when upon connection, the Maestro measures the connection latency and adjusts the keying accordingly, and generates a local sidetone  [this feature doesn't work with SmartSDR 3.x ]

Thanks
  • RONG4DIY
    RONG4DIY Member
    Hi does anybody else have good cw sidetone at the Maestro but the actual RF out from the radioa/antenna is poor with truncated dashes and even changing dots and dot speed ?
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Yes.

On a remote setup, it depends on the quality (not speed) of the Internet connection and on the version of SmartSDR you are running. The HelpDesk will assist you in improving the issues, but there is a limit on both the Internet connection and in the current versions of SmartSDR as to what can be done.

If you are not using remote, the Internet issues are gone, but the SmartSDR issues remain. The usual solution is a cold reboot. You have to follow ALL the steps or it won't work.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.