Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can't get 2.0.17 reliably started

WK2Y
WK2Y Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Sometimes I have a devil of a time getting the new SmartSDR started.  I am running Windows 10.  Most of the time my rig is powered off.  When I power it up, it seems that SmartSDR automatically tries to run, but then I get a message in a little box that says, "Unable to connect to the radio. Please try again."  Then I will go through a process of stopping and starting various things, CAT, DAX, rebooting the rig and PC and will eventually get things running.  Odd thing is I often see in the task manager that SmartSDR is still listed and I have to **** it by hand. Not sure if it is related but I often wind up with the window telling me that my SmartLink is not configured. If anyone has any idea what's going on, I would appreciate the help.
Thanks and 73,
Bob
WK2Y

Answers

• RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bob, I had a similar problem that did not make much sense until I realized that I was rushing my computer and needed to give it a chance to completely boot before I tried to connect to the radio.
    Let me suggest that you start your radio, turn on your computer and after you see that DAX and Cat have put their icons into the tray, open your Task Manager and click on the Performance tab.
    Click on the Disk 0 box on the left to monitor the activity. Quite often I find the disk drive running at 100% as it loads Services, Data Ect.  When the activity turns sporatic (random spikes on the display) and If your radio is ready, Start SmartSDR. I have not had a failure since I started this.
    As to your problem with SmartLink,  I don't have a clue since I don't use it yet.
    Good Luck

Roy - W5TKZ      
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    That's what's odd. Usually my computer will have been running for a quite a while prior(hours.) I have an SSD so I am usually fully booted in very short order even if I have to reboot.  Thanks.

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks to Greg who contacted me off line, I switched to a fixedstatic IP address and thus far no more issue!
  • Gerald Meltzer
    edited August 2017
    Why should using a fixed/static IP address make a difference? Jerry W0FFC
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Someone else more technical can provide details, but I know that everything in my wireless house works better, internet radios, PCs, printer, etc, when I assign a fixed IP address.  I just get the feeling that not all devices handle DHCP correctly and you wind up with conflicts particularly when there are many devices. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Bob. Do you have multiple routers, access points, or range extenders  where possibly you have two that are working as DHCP servers? That would definitely cause issues if the PC is on one subnet and the radio is on another.

I'd suggest taking a good look at your WiFi configuration in the house.

Dave wo2x
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Indeed, I do have two routers hooked together.  I will have to dig in to the settings and see if that is the issue.  Thanks!!
    73, Bob
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2017
    You should be able to put one of them in access point mode instead of router mode.

Dave wo2x
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I'll take a look.  Thanks.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Why should using a fixed/static IP address make a difference?

Because his router is probably too slow to respond the the DHCPDISCOVER request.  THis is a rare problem, but one we have seen before.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    That's interesting.  I wonder if it is because I am on wi-fi.  No latency problems.  Always shows as excellent.  The router is an Asus RT-AC1750  Thought it was a good one when I got it. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.