Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Interference on 40m

Ken Davis
Ken Davis Member ✭✭
edited August 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
This interference has been going on for over an hour and I am just curious if anyone might know what is the source?

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Looks like DRM (Digital Radio Modiale)

• Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the response
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Was it on consistently or did it cycle on/off?  I would suspect a digital mode would cycle on/off.

I have seen something like this here as well and I suspect some man made device near by.
  • Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    It was on consistently Mark for about 1 hour. The audio was just random hash with slight variation in amplitude. 
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Ok that sounds to me like NOT a digital mode but some power supply or device.  I can't think of any mode where you would want to leave your TX on for an hour.

Unless you have a handheld receiver or a handheld mini-beam and a long coax, kind of hard to track these things down.

I am pretty sure my neighbor across the street has a swamp cooler, a big one and there is some power supply that is putting out little peaks across 10m for me.
  • Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited August 2017
    aircraft radar? old plasma tv.. new neighbours?
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Ken,

Have you tried disconnecting all power at the house circuit breaker and running only the Flex? If it goes away of course than its in your house.

Jim

ka7gzr  

• ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Kevin,

Could this be it?

Jim

ka7gzr

Radio Eritrea and Radio Ethiopia Still Battling on 40 Meters

It was a now-familiar story in the July edition of the International Amateur Radio Union Region 1 (IARU R1) Monitoring System (IARUMS) newsletter, which reports that Radio Eritrea and Radio Ethiopia are still slugging it out within the 40-meter amateur band. IARU Region 1 includes Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and northern Asia.

Radio Eritrea and Radio Ethiopia have been active daily on the same 40-meter frequencies. [Wolf Hadel, DK2OM, screenshot]

"The hostile brothers were daily active on 7,150 and 7,175 kHz," said IARUMS Coordinator Wolf Hadel, DK2OM. "Earlier complaints were not regarded. No change." Radio Ethiopia has been deliberately interfering with Radio Eritrea on both frequencies by transmitting white noise, Hadel said.

Elsewhere on 40 meters, Radio Hargaysa in Somalia has been transmitting on 7,120 kHz, and is audible daily in Australia and Japan. On 7,200 kHz, the "Firedrake Jammer" in the People's Republic of China has been transmitting on top of a broadcaster in the Republic of China (Taiwan). The PRC considers Taiwan a province. The Firedrake (or Fire Dragon) jammer, which has been interfering with Amateur Radio signals on 40 and 20 meters over the past decade or longer, also disrupts broadcasts from the Voice of America, Radio Free Asia, and the BBC. The jammer's designation derives from the name of a lengthy Chinese folk tune that the jammer transmits.

So-called "cluster beacons" from Russia have become another issue reported on the 80- and 40-meter CW/digital segments. These CW signals are showing up on several frequencies above 3,590 kHz and in the vicinity of 7,039 kHz and identify with three-letter, R-prefix call signs. They're operated by the Russian Navy, according to IARUMS.

Over the Horizon (OTH) radar signals also continue to intrude on the exclusive Amateur Radio 40-, 20-, 15-, and 10-meter allocations.

• Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I would like to thank everyone for their input. I did power down different items in the house and eliminated that possibility. It did go away that night but not sure when. I am all for blaming it on gremlins, hi hi,
    Thanks again.
    Ken
    W0KRD

Please close this subject.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.