Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

NEED DAX with SmartLink !

Dick Illman
Dick Illman Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in New Ideas
I have been using the new FT8 mode remotely on my LAN. I really want DAX to work on WAN connections too. I hope that the router ports will be adjacent to 4993 and 4994. By the way when I did a port scan on my Flex 6700 it responded to 4992 and 4994 and not 4993.
3 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi ****

DAX does not work on WAN connections at this time.   What I do for remote FT8 connections is to run WSJT on a computer on the local LAN and then use Remote Desk Top to connect to that PC.  This also ensures you don't overload your uplink.   I have found that to be the most practical way to do remote operations, and I have tried a lot of different configurations over the last 12 years of remote operating.

Mike va3mw

• Dick Illman
    Dick Illman Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion. For receive only, I was looping the remote laptop audio out to mic input.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I would at least like to see Audio DAX in the future. In some cases the server and client have high bandwidth connections on both ends. It would be useful for things like digital voice keyer in contest situations. 

Ria
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    What I have done for voice keying is have a Logitalker feed the Maestro.  Of course the Mic was plugged into the Logitalker.   I much preferred using this method that the N1MM VK because it was easy to record a new message and tapping the PTT pedal killed the outgoing message immediately.  It was kinda cool that it worked that way.

I got used to that when we had the DVK PC cards for CT.  Man, those were expensive but were awesome.  

Just one idea. 

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Mike, I am glad that works for you. But it bothers me that I have a $7000 radio connected via Ethernet to the Internet and I have to plug in a voice keyer via the mic jack. That to me is like buying the latest, fastest MacBook pro and having to use dialup, or buying a new lamborghini and having to roll down the windows by hand... 

THis is one reason why I keep my VPN as an option. If/when I go back overseas and I want to play in the contest, I want to be able to use the voice keyer in N1MM+, because I can use the ESM feature. I don't want to use cheesy workarounds like remote desktop or an external voice keyer. 

Bottom line - this needs to happen. SmartLink is incomplete without it. 
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yep, I understand.
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    Would have been nice to know this ahead time instead of "assuming" it was going to be part of v2. Or did I miss something that had been announced?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Hi Steve

We did actually publish the fact in the FAQ stating that it would be delayed.  http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-v2-0-faq-pdf/

73, Mike va3mw
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited July 2017
    Ok. I missed it! Did not catch that particular FAQ.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi Steve ... no worries.  Most of use blindly push along.  I likely would have done the same thing had I not been part of the Alpha Team.   :)  I usually get to the manuals only after I have things up and running or something doesn't work correctly.  LOL

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I have successfully used DAX and JT-65 over my VPN remote.  It can work but I have good internet at both places.
  • Lorenzo Mendini
    Lorenzo Mendini Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi Mark WS7N  and users,t with the last versione of smarSDR 2.0.1.9 is still possible to work with a VPN different that created directly from flexradio? i hope that you are understand me
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Yes you can still use the VPN.
  • Lorenzo Mendini
    edited December 2017
    Hi, can you send me some screen how to set the smartlink software with my vpn. many thanks
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You don't need to use SmartLink with the VPN. Just set up the VPN on your PC, connect and then use the SmartSDR software like you would locally.

This only works with VPNs that support bridging, such as SoftEther. 

Ria

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    I agree with Ria.  If you need to operate DAX remotely, then currently you need to use a bridged VPN.  If you are going to do that, I would not mix VPN and SmartLink, just use the VPN for all client (SmartSDR, DAX and CAT) to radio communication to simplify the configuration.

And we are still committed to getting DAX to work over SmartLink.
  • Lorenzo Mendini
    edited December 2017
    when you tell "Just set up the VPN on your PC" do you mean the one in my remote site, in my case my notebook used in my office. In this case i don't need that there are a pc turned on in my home (my first qth where is the flex), obviously to make digial modes form my office......
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Check your router it may have a VPN built in. Mine has openVPN and it works fine for me. 
    Good luck 
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The only Dax/Cat I know that currently works with 6xxx series radio servers are the xDax and xCat products that run on the Mac platform in conjunction with the DogparkSDR program. Search for xDax and you should find it. I am confident that Dax for the PC will be provided by Flex soon for SmartSDR remote operation.
  • Lorenzo Mendini
    edited December 2017
    my pc isn't a macOS, i  run with win10
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You have to set up a VPN server at the remote end where the radio is, then set up the VPN client on your PC where you want to run DAX. 

The VPN server can be a Windows PC, Mac, Linux box or a Raspberry Pi. 

Some routers also have VPN like OpenVPN built in but most of them put the VPN on another subnet so it's not going to get broadcast messages from the radio. 

So generally most people who use VPN for flex remote access use SoftEther.

You have to run the VPN client on the PC where you want to run CAT or DAX. 
    The only Dax/Cat I know that currently works with 6xxx series radio servers are the xDax and xCat products that run on the Mac platform in conjunction with the DogparkSDR program. 
    CAT already works with SmartLink. DAX is the only one that doesn't work. 

Also the DAX/CAT works independently so you don't have to be running DogParkSDR on the mac for CAT/DAX to work. In fact I run SmartSDR on my iPad or Maestro and use the computer for logging or digimodes. 

Ria

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.