Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Not configured for SmartLink - Hardware key radio now (can't because I'm remote)

Rick - W5FCX
Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
Upgraded my local 6700 - worked perfectly.

Proceeded to upgrade my remote 6300 - it appeared to upgrade okay after power down/up following the upgrade.  However, when I click on "Register" to attempt to register it for SmartLink, it's no dice.  Since I'm remote, I'm unable to "hardware key the radio now".  Am I going to have to drive 2 hours to finish the upgrade??

Rick

Comments

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Here is what worked for me but you may not have the hardware:

I had an external WinKeyer USB.  I was able to key that using CWType to get it done.

I think without something like that you may have to do the drive.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yep. You have to go to the radio just once.
    That's a "hardware interlock" to prevent someone from "stealing" a remote radio.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Also just noticed that I am unable to see any Panadapter activity or add a new PA on Windows 10 (at remote site where 6300 is located).  I get the following.

I am able to connect to it and see it just fine through my VPN connection remotely.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Also, after each failed attempt, the 6300 no longer shows up as accessible (from either PC).  Must power down/up again for it to show up as available to Connect.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Very odd. I did not have that issue with my local 6700.  I suppose it knows I'm on a different subnet?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Rick

Can you expand on the different subnet part, which radio and the client location.  And if SmartLink is involved.  

Mike
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Nevermind.  This was my mistake and misunderstanding.  Apparently one must "authenticate" by physically keying up the radio, even if you're running on the LAN (same subnet).  I understand it's a security precaution, but it seems a bit overkill.  It's certainly inconvenient for those of us whose radios are hundreds of miles away from us physically most of the time already...

I was hoping "SmartLink" was smart enough to know the difference between a LAN connection originating on my own subnet (within the boundaries of the radio and router/default gateway's subnet) and not require physical authentication, but alas, it does not.  What would've been sufficiently secure and much more convenient is to accept LAN-based client connections as pre-authenticated (they aren't authenticated today!!) and only force physical authentication like it does in the event the client's IP is outside the radio's subnet.

How about asking us remote users next time how we'd like to see it?  We can probably actually help.  (oops - now my negative comment will cause this thread to self-destruct)
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Well... we sort of did.  :)  It is in the quickstart guide for SL.  
    http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartlink-quick-start-guide-for-smartsdr-pdf/

I agree that it is a PITA, but all it would have taken is one person to have their radio some how hijacked and that would not have gone too well.

A lot of the Alpha testers are remote (like me).  I am remote 100% of the time and I also had to drive to my station to authorize it.  It was expanded to add to add the CW keying line as well.  

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I get that. These radios run on Private networks. Unless the private network is hacked or compromised there is no risk. And if a hacker did manage to hack into a PC on the network, they aren't there to talk DX.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

@Rick

Don't feel so bad, I had to fly back from France during the Alpha testing in order to physically Key my radio so that it would logon to SmartLink.

I totally agree that it is a total PIA and there MUST BE A BETTER WAY.

My TEMPORARY solution is YET ANOTHER Remote Controlled Relay to PTT the rig next time I need to log it on remotely.- fortunately I have a few remote controlled relays available - but a PIA to wire up yet another what should be no needed connection....

USE CASE...I want to demo my 6700 during a talk somewhere such as a long way from the USA and want to give people access during the talk.. so I would need to set up an alternative SmartLink Demo Account.. for the demonstrations.. then I want to go back to sole control... Needs a few remote PTT events

AND YES>>. I complained loudly during ALPHA Testing.

• K7ADD
    K7ADD Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm at the office and just gave up walking my girlfriend through plugging in a footswitch - I run 100% remote, even when in the house.  Ethernet, power, and RF are the only connections to the radio.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    A remote relay is a reasonable option, IMHO. All it would take is a 120v relay plugged into a remote controlled AC power **** outlet. I assume that anyone running a fairly serious remote operation will have the ability to add a remote on/off relay tied to PTT connection... of course, learning about the requirement at the last minute when you are hundreds of miles away is 'sub-optimal'.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Glad I upgraded. The seamless remote access without a VPN is worth every penny of the upgrade and the hassle of driving to my remote station to authenticate.

So all in all, it's all good!

Rick /W5FCX
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Yes it is good to have the Smartlink remote connection but quickly discovered I still needed a VPN connection.
    I simplified the VPN connection by using the one built into the ASUS Router for feeding the DAX and Logging programs.  Smartlink replaced the Softether Server on the remote PC and the Softether Bridge to enable connecting the Maestro and 6700 together..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.