Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

After using SmartSDR remotely with v2.0.17 and if I close SmartSDR and try to reopen the radio shows

N4TTY
N4TTY Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
As the title indicates, the radio is showing in use if I try to restart SmartSDR a second time after closing it the first time.  Again this is using SmartSDR v2.0.17 via SmartLink

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Sometimes this happens. You can force disconnect the radio, and attempt to reconnect. The radio is supposed to time out after a while anyway but if you disconnect and attempt to reconnect right away you'll see that.

Ria

• KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I've had the same issue. I let it set for a min. or two, then it releases and I can connect again. Guess the radio takes its time to tell the SmartSDR server its not connected to anything. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Better for it to hang on too long than let go too early!

As long as you can manually dump it and reconnect, it think that you are just running into the connection time-out timer.

But this does indicate the potential usefulness of a separate "Disconnect" button in SSDR/Win similar to the one in SSDR-IOS.   Or perhaps an intermediate dialog screen that asks "Do you want to disconnect from the radio and close SSDR?  or just disconnect from the radio?"  (Presumably in order to connect to a different radio, once muti-client or connection sharing are implemented).
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    How long did you wait?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

I have noticed the same problem. When I disconnect, it stays connected but within a minute or so, it shows availability. This seems to happen more on IOS than on the computer.

Jim, K6QE

• Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    It isn't a problem; it is the new normal.  Once disconnected, it takes a little time for a state change to update the broker server.  We do not want to do it too quickly and have your radio disconnect due to a temporary network issue. 
  • N4TTY
    N4TTY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Several hours from the time I was getting the "in use" message until I actually returned home to try from there.  In fact I had to power down the radio after returning home (I had gone to a friends home to really try the remote connections).  When I got home and tried to connect with my desktop on the same subnet as the radio i got the "no radios available" message.  Had to power off the radio (had to hold the power button for several seconds before it started shutting down) and then back on before the radio showed up in both the radio chooser window and SamrtCAT window.
  • N4TTY
    N4TTY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    OK, that sounds reasonable, but in my case the radio seemed locked up when I returned home.
  • N4TTY
    N4TTY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I was unable to force a disconnect, or maybe I just didn't wait long enough.  But after clicking on the "Disconnect" button nothing seemed to be happening.  Maybe a popup that states "Please wait, this may take a few minutes" needs to be displayed.  Versus nothing at all giving the impression that everything may have been locked up.  But now being aware of this I'll be just a little more patient.
  • N4TTY
    N4TTY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    But unless I just didn't wait long enough my disconnect button didn't seem to be doing anything.  I'll try to recreate and wait a little longer next time.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    That isn't the expected behavior.  I have written this up as defect #5115 in our bug tracker.
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Wouldn't a handshake process make sense, just doing a confirmation to ensure it was an intentional disconnection, vs. some wait period?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I agree that telling the radio that you are disconnecting is better. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    We do tell the radio we are disconnecting when it is done through a client.  It is the broker server that has to get its state updated.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.