Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartlink and your house Network

Mike va3mw
Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
A month or so ago, I posted a dialogue on getting ready for SmartLink and just how solid is your home network.  Well, the time is almost here.  You may want to have a look at that conversation as it had a bunch of good stuff in it.

Case in point.  As I might have mentioned, I have been running a remote station for over a decade.  That has driven me to ensure my meager internet at the remote is on a diet.

That worked well until today.  My remote is at our Cottage NE of Toronto.  It is summer up here, so the ice finally melted... just kidding.  The Wisconsin people know what it is like.  

I phone up there and the VoIP phone isn't even working well.  I get on the cell phone.  Ah, we have guests.... in their 20's.  AKA, Internet is an essential service.

A quick poke around on the router shows a connection to NetFlix and Torrents.  Why am I surprised.

That drove me to install some limiters so that anyone on the DHCP network (like guests) are now traffic limited.  It is good to be the admin of your domain.

The short part of the story is that you may have to do some traffic shaping especially of your upload speeds just to ensure SmartLink works well for you.  SmartLink can take up to a maximum of 1.6mb/sec to send data out to your operating location.

This is changing the face of ham radio operating for the future.  :)

73 and have fun, Mike va3mw  

Comments

• Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Michael. It would also be useful for people to prioritize traffic if their routers allow adjustments to quality of service for specific devices on their lan. This way they can make sure that their flex traffic is prioritized over their kid's YouTube activities :).
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Or Windows patch downloads.  Yep, I had to do that one as well.

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    "It is good to be the admin of your domain"

"It's even better to be King of your Castle".

Link to the aforementioned write-up Mike made.

Mike - it looks like you've gone over to the 'dark-side' ?

Tim
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Don't forget those all important Facebook postings.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.