Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cross-Platform TCP Port?

George KF2T
George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR CAT
Is there a way to use the CAT over TCP functionality without having SmartCAT running? I'd like to be able to use TCP control from 3rd party apps running on my Mac, for example, without having a Windows machine running SmartCAT in between.

Suggestions? Am I treading into v2.0 territory? Not a biggie, just curious more than anything.

Geo

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    "Is there a way to use the CAT over TCP functionality without having SmartCAT running?"

No.  Cat provides the translation of CAT commands into API commands that are sent to the radio.

If the third-party app supports the native API interface to the radio, CAT is not needed.
  • Mario_DL3LSM
    Mario_DL3LSM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi George,

I'm in the last stage of testing my CAT app for macOS which does exactly this: getting CAT commands via TCP and translating them into native Flex control commands (TCP/IP API).. It runs with RUMlogNG, Fldigi and WSJT-X here.. A similar DAX app is also in it's last stage of testing.. Both are using Dougs (K3TZR) xFlexAPI framework for macOS..

73, Mario DL3LSM

• Mario_DL3LSM
    Mario_DL3LSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Obviously it's all version 1.10 not 2.0 at the moment..
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    HURRAY!!!
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited May 2019
    MacLoggerDX has had this capability (native TCP flex 6000series control on macOS) since Version 5.49 in 2013.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Because of your work, Don, my life is so much easier! Now if hamlib talked Flex TCP, what a beautiful thing it would be.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Mario, if you need another tester, drop me a line. If not, I will be on your customer list when you’re ready to release.
  • Mario_DL3LSM
    Mario_DL3LSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    It's planned as Freeware so you'll be a user, not a customer.. :-)
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    George

It depends on which version of Hamlib, the current/recent versions do support Flex TCP ports. the Current WSJT-X alpha releases use the newer versions of Hamlib. Recent Fldig releases do too. to a degree. They still need work before they will understand Flex mode selections, and filters.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Mario_DL3LSM
    Mario_DL3LSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Unless something magical happened the last weeks the Flex6000 driver in Hamlib does CAT (TS-2000 and some of the ZZ commands) via TCP.. So you still need something like SmartCAT to access the radio itself..

73, Mario DL3LSM
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Mario

Correct it does need SmartCat, I keep forgetting about other platforms that don't use, or need SmartCAT. I should have re-read the entire thread before I posted that. 

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Mario - thank you!
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Jay... Your forgetfulness is completely due to that beam you have your garage, unassembled, untested.   It needs to be shipped to Fort Collins where it will be expertly assembled, tested and put to good use.

It will undergo full weather testing for next several years until you are ready to drive up and pick it up.  You have the address, send me the tracking number when it is on its way...

You'd be surprised how fast your memory will return!   :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.