Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

5000a Remote Operation "How do you do it"

Larry Williamson
Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios

Hello,

I have never did this before---- never thought I would ever use it. Now we have a mountain cabin in Idaho---- well heck, let's try it out!

Rig is a 5000a.

I have seen a few YouTube videos for SmartSdr but not much in the way of PSDR.

Does anyone know of a good detailed video or instructions of what to do to get started?

What is the recommended software to link both computers together? Both of my computers are windows 7.

Thank You

Larry

Answers

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I would think you need to run a third party software such as RCForb or one of the others.

• Dave -- W7IWW
    Dave -- W7IWW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Larry,

I ran Flex 5000a for two+ years and now my Flex 6700 for 3+ years remotely with the fixed radio at the cabin (better antenna options and extremely low noise than home QTH).  While their are many folks who have a more updated and sophisticated methods, mine is fairly simple, reliable, and involves the following:

--At the cabin:
              --Flex 6700
              --Windows 7 computer
                    TeamViewer account (Free) for cabin computer (remote desktop)
                    Skype account (Free) for cabin computer (for SSB operation)
                    HRD 6.2 for logging, DX cluster, PSK31, RTTY and WSPR
                    N1MM Contest logging
                    WSJT-X v. 7.1 for JT-9, JT-65, and WSPR
                    DDUTil v. 3.2 
                    LP-Rotor (control beam rotator remotely)
                    LP-100  (Watt and SWR meter)
                    Various hookups for the extra peripherals
                    Internet connection

--At home:
               --TeamViewer account for each individual device and computer  (Free)
               --Skype account for each individual device and computer  (Free)
               --Internet connection.

The conversion from PSDR to SSDR was painless and seamless.  You may need to install Virtual Audio Cables for PSDR to connect with periphefral software while SSDR has DAX and SSDRCAT that handles all that.

i also had never done what you are contemplating, and also said, "what the heck."  It's been a fun journey and I am indebted to numerous Elmers who have helped along the way.

Dave W7IWW

• Larry Williamson
    edited June 2018

Thanks for the quick replies----- I guess the very first thing to do is to get the 2nd laptop linked to the primary shack PC.

I will check out TeamViewer. I also notice there is a  Remote desktop connection (RDC) here on this machine. Does anyone have some input on this already built in software?

Regards,

Larry

• Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Go with TeamViewer. You won't need to know IP addresses, you won't need to open ports etc. Remote desktop connection is more used in the corporate world (I would say), Teamviewer is much simpler for end users...

Andy
    KU7T

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

I ran my 5000 for years from all over the world using simply an iPad

Installed Parallels Access on the PC connected to the 5000

Installed Parallels Access on the IPad

Definitely prefer Access over Teamviewer as it turns PSDR into an almost native iPad App.

NO NEED FOR SKYPE or other work Around as Parallels Access works great for Audio as well as video

Of course, today I am using a 6700 with SSDR for iOS on my iPad but still keep Access around as Backup

So far I have remoted FROM 28 countries.

• Ulf Holt
    Ulf Holt Member
    edited November 2019
    OK - get the message, but how do you handle power off / on with the 5000?

Ulf

LA2SL
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You need a smart relay or web switch of some sort.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I use a digital logger web switch to control power.on several items as just the radio is not enough image
  • Larry Williamson
    edited June 2018

Again-thanks for the great information. I know I am about 5 years behind in time, but hey we have to start somewhere right?

Ok on the web switch (I was wondering about that also)

Will also have a look at Parallels Access (thank you)

Currently at the home QTH I am using the rear balanced jack for the microphone.

Question----In a remote application, I know that we will need to be using a headset microphone through the lap top or tablet etc. ------- But how does the audio get from the home pc into the radio?

If I push my space bar on the remote pc to key the radio --what software is telling the radio the key up?

Is there additional software that I need for this?

Thank you

Larry

N7ZDR 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    With The 5000 you use PowerSDR as the radio software it's been a few years since I used a 5000 I IRC i used a Virtual Audio Cable software program to direct the Audio into the PowerSDR software - but my memory is fuzzy on that PTT Was via Parallels Access to hit the space bar to activate POwerSDR PTT I seem to recall that N2TK and I posted details back in 2011 or 2012 as to how we made transcontinental QSO Remote from Dayton to each other
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Larry, if you are asking about managing the front panel power ON switch on the 5000, Flex had a mod for that, which my friend had done for his. Can't remember now but it may have been a momentary relay closure across the switch.

The other way as I recall was to jam the panel switch on with a toothpick or similar.

Lloyd
    VE3ERQ
  • Dave -- W7IWW
    Dave -- W7IWW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Howard, I also use a digital logger web switch for power management on remote. I'm curious how you're doing digital modes, rotator controls, logging, etc.? With parallels, can you control all functions as I may have mentioned in earlier post? Always willing to seek improvements. Dave
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I use the iPad Web app for Power control use DDUTIL For my SteppIR Antenna SPE 2KFA amp and rotator. I control them through parallels app. In my most extended recent trip One of my digital logger failed two weeks in. Which left me without the ability to reboot radios and computers. This was problematic as I need it to be able to reboot things since I am testing alpha code. Fortunately we had a houseguest who was not totally incompetent so she was able to at least plug-in and reboot a couple devices for me once.. I'm now trying to design a way to parallel power control systems so that I have a means that I we will not have a single point of failure so I have an alternate way of rebooting things.
  • Dave -- W7IWW
    Dave -- W7IWW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I will take a very close look at Parallels Access.  It appears we are doing very similar remote functions.  I remote via iPad, Iphone, PC, Laptop, etc. Many thanks!
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If you have an Android device this works great and is free:

www.remotehams.com

• Darren G7DAZ
    Darren G7DAZ Member
    edited July 2017
    Hi Harold, i don't know where your location is but on the UK Google Play store that app isn't free...it costs £7.87 to buy.

However out of curiosity (due to this thread) i looked at Parallels Access mentioned above and it's also available for Android. I'm "trialing" it at the moment and it works a treat on my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 tablet/phone. Just a few things to iron out with it but i'm very well impressed with it so far; i may even subscribe at the end of the trial period.

I've been looking for a "remote" or virtual desktop to use my 5000a for a while and after trying a few with not much success i seem to have hit the nail on the head with the Parallels Access.

Many thanks to those above for recommending the Parallels Access and this thread....i now have a bit more Flexability with my Flex ;-)

73 de G7DAZ (Darren)

• Larry Williamson
    edited June 2018

It appears there is still some interest in this topic-- Great

I to just looked at the remotehams client on my Android it's $9.99 US funds--- That's ok if I can get it up and running.

So to sum this up for me now that I am back at the home QTH, will install Remotehams on both the shack PC and Android phone (this appears to be the simplest yet-- however it may not be!).

Will report back tomorrow with the outcome.

Any other tips would be helpful?

Fine Regards,

Larry

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Larry,

I used it when I had an Android phone and it works great with the 5000.  If you want to see how it works without spending any money download the PC client piece first.  It's free.  There are tons of stations you can connect to and operate the station in receive.  Some will let you transmit if you ask.  It was the best solution when I had a 5000a.

Harold
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I am in the US and you have to pay for the Andriod version also but the PC version is free and the server is free.  You only pay for the Android version.

What I was suggesting is that you download the PC client first and play with the public stations so you can see what is available and how it works.

You can also go ahead and download the server and install it.  Then you can try it from a remote PC.  That was the approach I took.  I did buy the android version and made many remote QSO's.  It controls other thing like amps, antenna switches, etc.

It's been a couple of years since I use it because I have a 6500 now.

Any, just play with the free stuff first.  Download the documentation.  It's short and easy to understand.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use.

Harold
  • Larry Williamson
    edited July 2017
    Howard,
    I now have Parallels Access up and running on both the shack PC and my Android.
    Did you use a speaker microphone connected to ipad or just talk directly into It? In my case I will attempt to use the my cell phone so I believe I should be able to talk directly into it??---- Will up date later.
    Thank for your help
    Larry
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I just talked directly into my Ssmsung S5 phone.  I got great audio reports.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I use the 1. Mike on iPad 2. Apple Earbuds 3. Logitech Bluetooth Headset All get great audio reports Currently my favorite is the Earbuds because of their size and lack of background noise.
  • Larry Williamson
    edited July 2017
    Here is one for you----I can start PSDR and all looks good on the Android however I can hear any sound. On the back of the flex we have a pair of external desktop speakers, on the front phone jack is where I have my Heil headphone.
    What do I need to do in order to hear the audio on the Android?

I see that I don't have the Flex audio routed through the PC
    Thank You
  • Roger Miller
    Roger Miller Member
    edited July 2018
    Harold, I have a new 6400, what would you consider the best method of going remote on an android phone?

Roger
  • Raymond W Smith
    Raymond W Smith Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    did you have to configure the radio to connect to smartlink when the power was applied? Is there a setting for that?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.