Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will SmartSDR 2 be Morse Code Compatible

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
With the release of smartSDR 2 , will a user on a computer/laptop in remote mode be able to use Morse Code ?  At present it only works directly into the Flex radio or on the Maestro.  

Bill
VA3QB

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Only with CWX including Winkey emulation. You can't plug a set of paddles in remotely without an external box. So, same as 1.x.
  • Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    CWX is great but the possibility of connecting a key would probably be an option appreciated by many telegraphists.

I was hoping that a solution would be found with SmartSDR 2 :-(

Please, Ria, when you talk about "external box", what are you referring to?

Is there a solution today that is not a gas plant and working properly?

Thanks for your advices…

73, Jean-Luc / F5JRC
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    External box meaning third party solution. 

Actually I believe if you use the maestro it will work too since it has its own winkeyer.
  • Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    thanks Ria...  that was the question I was just going to ask.  We have a camp on a lake a few miles away and I have been dreaming of sitting over there with the Maestro watching the world go by and playing with the Maestro.  Mike  W1BFA

• Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Ria, it would be interesting to have a feedback from the owners of Maestro for this feature...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I'll try with my Maestro ,but truthfully it hasn't really left my shack... I use my iPad. 
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    One 3rd-party option uses a pair of inexpensive WinkeyerUSB devices on each end of the link.  The controlling software runs on a PC in server/client mode using K1EL's WK-Remote software,  I've been using the K1EL remote system for almost a decade with other transceivers and it works very well with excellent CW timing/spacing. 

http://k1el.tripod.com/WKremoteX.html

Like the Maestro**, the WinkeyerUSB uses a square-wave side-tone generator. I first modified mine with a sinewave "Twin-T" oscillator and voltage-controlled amplifier (VCA) that ramped the CW sidetone just like a transceiver.  The second (and current) iteration uses N4YG's DSP chip that digitally produces a ramped sinewave.   

Because of the CW side-tone, issue, my Maestro has not seen much use.  CW enthusiasts who plan on using a Maestro over the Internet should be aware of this limitation. 

Paul, W9AC 

**  The Maestro's CW side-tone comes from a built-in WK and hence, the reason for the square-wave side-tone.  Well, it's really a quasi-square wave as its been filtered by Flex but the end result still sounds much like a square wave.
  • Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thank you very much Paul for these informations, it is very informative.

So I see that it's not so simple, the changes you've made unfortunately exceed my skills.

I thought about buying a Maestro, but suddenly I'm no longer sure of my purchase. I would like to know the official position of Flex on this subject...
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    The official position is that we will have to do a fair amount of software work to fix the K1EL WinKey sidetone through reconstitution of the sine wave.  This is in the backlog but not yet scheduled (no date yet).  It does sound better than a native WinKey output though.  
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Winkeyer works with SmartLink on Maestro. That is your only turnkey solution if you want a traditional morse experience.
  • Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thank you Rya, I wait a little to see if can test with an OM not too far having a Maestro…
  • Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Gerald, as I said to Rya, I wait a little to see if can test with an OM not too far having a Maestro... and this sidetone "issue" is perhaps not really one for me!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    It's ria Don't poke out my i ;)
  • Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Sri, :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.