Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR 2.0 UPnP

Mack
Mack Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
If you want a simple, no brains, solution to opening ports to use SmartSDR 2.0 then be sure you have Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) enabled on your router. If you do this, registering your radio for WAN operation takes less than 30 seconds. This simple check will save FlexRadio dozens of hours of support time when SmartSDR is released. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Team

Comments

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    What is the work around for UVerse and commercial system users where UPnP is not supported? Of my three QTHs' services I believe only one supports UPnP. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Steve, You'll need to manually forward ports. I suggest you read up on how to do this. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Gotcha and thanks. Only one is a difficult system (has dedicated security hardware/software that is annoyingly complex to configure, so I let a tech do it). Have run remote via Raspberry Pi VPN from all, so it can be done. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Paul, If you have the skills to do manual port forwarding then fine. I'm using UPnP even though I'm a Cisco Network Certified Engineer. No issues here. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Which ports need to be forwarded? Might as well get it going!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    It's not a fixed port. SmartLink will determine what ports and present that info to you if you choose manual config.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Everyone and their auntie is using UPnP these days. Yes it's "insecure." If you want the most secure method you should use a VPN. However the security risks aren't insurmountable and much of it comes down to your router and how good its firmware is. You should also get good malware protection on your PC anyway as much of the UPnP security issues have to do with malware opening ports for intruders to remotely control your PC.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks, Ria. Router doesn’t do UPnP, so will take the manual route. It's certainly not difficult.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Ria - is the port selection process dynamic each instance SmartLink is run, or a onetime configuration? 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    One time configuration, per radio.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Ditto per Maestro? Thanks! 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, same for Maestro. It's the radio hardware that gets registered, not the client. Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Just to clarify - you only port forward for the radio. The maestro is a client and does not need to be forwarded. Ditto your iPhone/iPad, laptop, or Mac (whenever Don gets dpSDR updated). Those don't need to be port forwarded. It's a one time process, as is the radio registration when you verify that you have physical access to the radio. Ria
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    George - to answer your question, you can set the manual port forward mapping to anything you like for the radio

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.