Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is v2.**** of SmartSDR still being released this month???

David Livingston
David Livingston Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
SmartSDR V2.****

Answers

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Now you know Tim and co are not going to divulge any details - just in case.

I suspect we will find out in the next 10 days.... :-)
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

How is the licensing system going to work? Will the software be "smart enough" to know what radio its being installed or will the owner need to submit some kind of information like radio serial number?

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Jim - this is a very high-level description of it.  The software license will be encrypted and installed in the radio hardware via our software management server that resides in the same cloud as the SmartLink server.  Once the license is installed, the radio will not have to contact or interface with the licensing server again unless you are upgrading to a new major version of SmartSDR.

The software license resides with the radio and not the user.

Once the radio is licensed for 2.0, then you download and run a 2.0 "client" (SmartSDR for Windows, Maestro, etc..).  When it connects to the radio, access using a 2.0 client is validated by the radio (where the license resides), the connection is allowed and you start using the radio as you have done previous, but with the new 2.0 features.

If you try to connect with a 2.0 client to a radio that is licensed for 1.x, then the radio will query the license server for a valid 2.0 license.  If one is there, the license gets installed in your radio.  If there is no license for that particular radio, you will be prompted to purchase a license for that radio or you have to exit the client application and run a 1.x client.  If you chose to purchase a 2.0 license, you will be redirected to our Online Store where you can purchase SmartSDR v2.0.  Once your transaction is completed, then your radio license is activated on the license server and now when you try to connect to your radio with a 2.0 client, your radio will have the new license installed and the connection is allow to complete.

I do not want to get into the specifics of the actual licensing process until we have the customer facing documentation ready for distribution.
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Quote "we release when we feel the software has achieved a quality certain quality level."  I need to get an interpreter for this sentence. Hmm?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

Can the user use Pay Pal or a valid credit card at the time of purchase?

Jim, K6QE

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Here's my translation:  It means Flex doesn't put out software that hasn't been thoroughly tested just to meet some arbitrary, market driven, calendar date.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    been up too long and too many tasks left in the thread pool ;-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    All of the valid payment methods we currently support with the OnLine Store.  PayPal and Credit cards.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    Steve - DING DING DING DING DING.  We have a winner.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Is there any chance of getting a list of features that will be in 2.0?
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Go easy on the bell there Hector, or you'll break it.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    "We will sell no upgrade, before it's time" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSs6DcA6dFI&app=desktop
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Very good Tim. Another way of doing software development is to always hold the date for release. Have a cut-off date for requirements, development and test etc. that supports the release date. Also, more often releases with smaller fixesfunctionality is better. The downside of this is the increased costs associated with each release. However I found this to be very satisfying to the customers. As important, I would always have the customer involved along the way to manage expectations.

I'm sure all of you don't need more "help".:)

Just a thought...

Jim

ka7gzr

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    True. FLex announced that all new sales include V2 V2 software reads the serial number inside the radio. If the radio's serial no has been registered then it will run V2
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    :-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    Soon
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    may a god time to start collecting payment ?
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I don't have my radio ID or I'd try it, but honestly the webpage looks incomplete - how did you come across that page?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    Paul - all radios sold after May 18, 2017 regardless if they are sold direct or by one of our dealers will be eligible for a free 2.0 upgrade.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Heck - the web page even says its in stock !  : smirk :

I still think it will take a few pints before we see this baby.

Cheers!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    This is a test item in our cart.  It was not supposed to be visible or accessible.  It has been temporarily disabled.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    LOL  They are clamoring at the gates !

Which is a good sign.

Cheers

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Clamouring :)  I'm prematurely draining the battery in my mouse with all the screen refreshing I'm doing to see it link to download v2 is up. If Flex got paid for every screen click I've done, that could fund another project.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.