Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Do the Bose Companion 2 Series iii speakers enter a sleep or standby mode if the Flex is powered dow

Doug - W3UB
Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
Do the Bose Companion 2 Series iii speakers enter a sleep or standby mode if the Flex is powered down, or should then be turned of manually? If plugged into the radio directly, or the Maestro.

Answers

• Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    My same speakers are always on 24/7/365. I don't think they go to sleep or power down.
    They are easily turned off and on.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have been using these for years and they don't power down.. but I wouldn't exactly call them power hogs either.   but to turn em off you just need to spin the knob around to a click.  I just leave mine on.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Ditto.  Mine have been powered on for 5+ years...
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Are you guys getting RF in your speakers and an AC hum? I think I might have a poor input cable coming from my Flex.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    No mine work perfectly.  check you cables an plugs, sounds like a loose connection.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

On 24/7 here as well.

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hi Chris, I assume you have the same type of cable as I do 1/8 mini stereo to RCA's? Maybe I need a bead on it. It's fine on digi modes but when I go voice it's bad. I do have CM choke on my feedline from the hex. Antennas are grounded but the not the radios.
  • Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks! That is what I figured ... just checking.
    Doug
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Rory,

I am running two pair of the Companion 2's.

No RF issues at all but the far left speaker of one pair is within a couple inches of my rotor controller, when I move the beams I get 60hz hum but that is from the field of the transformer being switched in.  Other than that Nada.

Also, I have ferrite snap-ons on both ends of each audio line IN and Out.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Mine is standard out of box. If you are just getting stuff when you transmit then its probably RF and I would choke it with 1 or 2 mix 31 rings. Do you have an amp?  what happens when you crank the power down to 10w or something like that?
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    No amp and I have not tried QRP yet on SSB, and now come to think of it I can't remember if it was on the hex or the 6BTV that gave me issues. When I get home I'll test and even on the dummy load. 
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    No Sleep mode on them here either
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Sure sounds like a choke is needed.  maybe more than one.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    If you are connecting the speakers to both the rig and your computer at the same time, you may be experiencing ground loop problems, as I did. When transmitting, there developed a ground potential difference between the computer, rig, and speakers, this small voltage difference on the ground return was large enough at audio input levels to be amplified by the speaker amplifiers and was loud enough to be annoying. It sounded just like I had RF in the system. The solution was to add a ground loop isolator on the computer side. They are available on Amazon for under $10 US. Here is what I use: the Pyle PLGI35T. ($8.70) There are other newer designs that are smaller. For example, AUKEY ground loop isolator for car stereo and home stereo systems. ($8.99). Add a couple Mix-31 ferrite for additional isolation if needed.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Nope straight from the Flex to speakers but it does cross a few other wires in the back of shelf under the desk. I'll mess with tonight after I get the pool up and running, it's getting hot out here in the desert. 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have had the bose speakers until they broke. Not impressed with them. They were pricey ($275), produced noise in the band from the power supply and have to be on all the time with no auto sleep. They do sound ok. They broke, they are glued together so I cannot service them without breaking them and I am out of warranty. After reading some positive reviews I decided to try the Yamaha NX-50 as a replacement for the underwhelming Bose. I am very happy camper. Better sound, cheaper ($99), properly shielded (no rf issues), two inputs (like the bose) so i use them for the Flex and the computer audio, auto sleep mode and several color combinations to choose from. If you are in the market for something similar to the bose I would check out the yamaha NX-50.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    You may want to try the Bose Companion 20 speaker system. These do cost a little bit more, but they have zero issues with RFI, etc., and they sound oh, sooooo good with the Flex 6700!

Br,
    Larry
    WA7LZO

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I had some ground loop hum on my Audio due to the use of an audio switch in line.  fixed it with in line audio isolation transformers.  They are available from Amazon in many forms.  Mine have 3.5 mm audio jacks m/f  here is a reference to them.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use them from my computers to the audio switch, also helps with RF....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.