Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Support for Slice B in HRD? They don't know!

Dick B
Dick B Member ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Third-Party Software
When running Slice A and Slice B on my 6300 with Ham Radio Deluxe, HRD does not handle Slice B ... TX A and TX B are buttons in the rig control screen as is Split but they do nothing.  Logbook only reports Slice A also.  I opened a Ticket with HRD and they answered that they don't know because they don't have a 6300 to try it!  They said ask here.  

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Correct. You would have to set up slice b as a second unique radio. Ask HRD if you can run 2 copies of HRD at the same time. Mike va3mw
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    HRD has a 6300 we loaned them for development and support. I'd contact them again since it is their problem to address and resolve.
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks for that info.  Yes, I emailed Mike.  Thanks.  
  • Jay Spaulding
    Jay Spaulding Member
    edited June 2017
    You have to set up Slice B as a second radio in HRD. Its why I use Log4om it works with Omini rig no problem. Maybe you can do the same with HRD and not use its program to control but send it to Ominirig and set both slices with that and have HRD follow it. not sure. never tried. 

Good luck
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    HRD is not doing a very good job of handling multiple slices and most likely won't in the future. Sad to say you might want to look into a better logger. Like you I have been a HRD usee but it's time to explore other options. Ian
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Do you have any inside knowledge the HRD won't support multiple slices in the future ? I have been seeing regular updates coming from from HRD so I am anticipating they will be addressing this issue in an upcoming release.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Not an HRD user here... Can you set up HRD in SO2R mode?  
    If so, you may be able to do this with only one session of HRD running.  

Since the 6500 won't do FULL SO2R, it will be kind of "Enhanced SO2V" as Chris Tate calls it.  But this would get you going with two Slices managed by HRD.

I know SO2R works in N1MM+.

My usually general purpose logger - N3FJP's ACLog  - will access the rig via the API (no virtual serial ports for the main access) and will send and receive data for all 4 slices on my 6500 - whichever one is the "active" slice at the time. (But it won't do SO2R)
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mike responded to my email and apparently spoke with Tim at Flex:   

After getting a contact from Tim (at Flex) and discussing it further with our Tim... I think I understand better what you're asking for.

Specifically... you want the VFO-B slice to show up in Rig Control. This was a frequent comment we got at Dayton this year... it's absolutely something we will do.

As for the Flex radios... I know we've got a Flex at Timewave because I've had my hands on it. Our Tim did say that he's got the 3000... but not a 6500... and - I'm not a "Flex guy" yet, but as I understand it - Tim was saying he didn't have a 6500 to test with SmartSDR. The 3000 uses PowerSDR.

Regardless... I'm going to get with Tim at Flex... and we'll get this VFO-B slice thing added to the To Do list for the developers. Again, because we have had a number of requests for this, it's definitely among the priorities.

Mike, WA9PIE

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Another example of how great Flexradio is, within 4 hours Tim responded to the original post and did what he said he was going to and got the developer to respond to a request with confirmation it will be worked on. So another case of the sky not falling, no need change to another logging program, just respectively ask your question. Again all this done within 4 hours, good work Tim, HRD and ****.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I'm some kind of confuse, What's the issue?......have HRD and Flex 6300... when I open my Logbook I see my 2 VFO

Best Regards, 73

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    George, which version of HRD are you using?  I am using 6.4.0.647.  If I have a QSO on Slice B the Add Log Entry shows the frequency of Slice A.  The TX-A, TX-B, and Split buttons in the Rig Control screen do nothing.  There is no way to display more than one frequency in the Tool Bar as shown in your image.  

• Danny Quist
    Danny Quist Member ✭✭
    Solution: SliceMaster 6000 has a "TCP TX Listener" which solves the problem of multiplexing slices for VFOs.

Configure SliceMaster 6000 according to their manual and dictates:

https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000

Enable "HRD TCP TX Listener" and note the port:

Inside of the HRD Logbook, configure HRD to connect to the SliceMaster 6000 server. Tools -> Configure -> Radio Pane. Change the address to be the same as the TCP port you set up.

Start up HRD Log and you should see both VFOs in the GUI. HRD Alert will also show the correct worked before status on broadcast logs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.