Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Internal Keyer Flex 6500 is Flaky.

Steve Zumbrun
Steve Zumbrun Member ✭✭
I have a Flex 6500 running Smart SDR 1.10.16 and my Internal Keyer is not working well. I use a Bengali Sculpture keyer. When I send my call, W0SZ, the W comes out F. If I slow down and send di dah dah slowly I can send the next W and it comes out correct. This is frustrating. Do I need to send the 6500 in for service?

Comments

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Stephen.. Although there are some rough edges with the winkey emulation that can occasionally cause this type of behavior, this seems like a new issue.

can I get a little more data on this from you?

So your sculpture is plugged in directly to the flex?  front key port?
    Do you have anything interfaced to the winkeyer emulator port such as a logger?
    How many wpm for the problem to appear?
    are you adjusting speed while sending?
    How are you adjusting speed, via logger or SSDR?

thanks in advance i would like to track this..  It could be an indicator of other issues we are observing.

• Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I have seen the same. During CWT, had to repeat about 10% of exchanges.

I am considering an external WinKeyer driving by N1MM+. Has anyone done this and how well does work? 

Andy

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    thats my recommendation right now for contest use.  It works fine.  make sure your macros are clean, leading spaces seem to cause issue.. ( a prolonged first character).
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    BTW we are aware of the issues with logger generated cw, but this was the first I have heard of keyed cw causing a problem..
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    To add to Chris's list, I believe the "Delay" setting needs to be over 30ms for QSK, I don't do QSK so mine is set to 300ms, I have never had a problem with keying.  

And, the contacts on your key may need burnishing or cleaning with a piece of paper....  I have to do that on mine regularly.  By the way, I also have the 6500.
  • K9APW - Dick - Verona, WI
    edited June 2017
    K9APW here -- I have the same problem but only with the pre-set CWX messages. I  NEVER had ANY problem until I loaded the latest update (V.10.16) -- since that upload my CWX presets skips, miss letters, sends part of a character with a "break" followed by the last half of that character -- VERY ANNOYING --- I have reloaded all my presets several times but nothing changes -- I do NOT use any outboard keyer -- rather a straight hand key when sending CW and there are no problems with hand sent CW at all -- it is entirely within the preset CWX messages!!!  If anyone finds a cure, let me know!!  (K9APW@Yahoo.com) -- I have been waiting for a revision/update that addresses this problem!!  Anyone else having this problem -- I am using Window 7, BTW!!--and this is an intermittent problem -- never the same twice in a row!!!  
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I'm reading this as a latency and physical keying error; BTW I use only a single lever at speeds over 25 WPM exactly for that type of problem.   A very slight latency between key press and sidetone will encourage you to hold the paddle.  Also a sticky contact (physical or key bounce software) will turn a W into a F - My nightmare with an iambic paddle.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Assuming that he is running straight into the rig and not with Maestro or via a logging program, There might also be a problem with the Iambic "A" vs. Iambic "B" settings. That caught me up when I first started with the 6500. Straight into the rig, I have had no CW issues, except that my fingers won't send reliably over about 25-27 WPM. But that isn't a RIG problem, it is an operator limitation... hi hi. Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Could you also have RF getting in via the key jack? I had that once and tightened my connectors, ground, and put a Mix-31 ferrite on the keyer lead.
  • Steve Zumbrun
    Steve Zumbrun Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, the Sculpture is plugged in directly to the front Flex Keyer port. I have nothing else interfaced to the winkeyer emulator port.  I usually send around 24 wpm but 20 wpm is unchanged. I adjust the speed using the SDR.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Ken - You describe the problem with dual paddle - They are used as press and release devices where at around 25 WPM muscle memory comes into play.
    With a single lever a ****/swipe action yields predictable results well above 50 WPM.
  • Steve Zumbrun
    Steve Zumbrun Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I've used an iambic keyer for years with numerous other rigs and have never had a problem.
  • Steve Zumbrun
    Steve Zumbrun Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have tried both Iambic A and B and see no difference.  I doubt RF is a problem. My connections are tight and the run is quite short.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Stan, I have tried the "squeeze key" technique to no avail, so I sort of use my Bencher as two independent paddles, but in Iambic B, because I like the way it's dot & dash memories work that way. Iambic A messes me up. I have tried a single paddle at hamfests several times and couldn't get used to them. Perhaps it is just that I haven't spent enough time with them to adjust them to my fist. Anyway. I don't do too bad for a person who hated code for years, took four years to pass the 13 wpm, and another eight years to pass the 20! But now I love CW for DXing and S&P contesting, I just don't like to work hard enough to go over about 32-35 in contests and about 18-20 in a normal conversation.... I do ham radio to relax! Ha ha. Ken - NM9P
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Ok.  thanks Stephen.  now, can you consistently reproduce this?  if so, could you try and reproduce with another key.  if so I would like to see a screen shot of all of your cw settings.  then I will try and reproduce it here.. If I can I will pass it on to the programming team.  They are very busy right now but at least we will be able to pass on the info and most importantly how to reproduce it..
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    thanks **** this is useful information that we can pass on to FRS team.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.