Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Input wanted on new 6600M

WV9L
WV9L Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Before i trade my 6500 off toward a 6600 or 6600M...... I mostly operate via my ipad or iphone 7+. Only time i use the pc, is when i remote into it to do jt65 or other digi modes. So, with that said, what would be the reasons or advantages to upgrade from the 6500 to a 6600? I have talked to a fellow ham about putting my rig at his station and sharing it as he would then be able to operate remotely as well. He has a quieter location and more realestate. So, my next question is more geared to v2.0. If we did put either my existing 6500 or a new 6600 at the location, say i was connected via my apple device thru the app. If he was at the location, could he also be connected at the same time, via the pc or the front control head(if it were a 6600M)? I know we cant both talk at same time. Just trying to understand all the options and make an educated decision.

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    What you are asking for is MULTI client

On the TO DO LIST but not implemented yet

Flex will not give you an ETA
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    From what I can gather from your operation, not much to be gained upgrading. Unless the contest band filters and second SCU are something you think you’d use, you will be pretty happy with the 6500. The 2nd SCU will come in handy for the way I operate at home, including keeping an eye on 6m when running elsewhere, doing satellite work, etc. Like you, a lot of my operating is remote, and for that purpose, I think it would be hard for me to wrangle two slices, no less anything more. If ease of general remote operating was my main criterion, I’d stick with my trusty 6500 running version 2.x. I —think— you will be able to listen to one SCU while your buddy is on the other (with the 6600) in the future. Don’t think it will be part of the 2.0 release, though. Hope that helps!
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    From what I've seen so far the only advantages of moving from a 6500 to a 6600 seem to be:

* two transverter inputs
    * 7th order filters on the HF Contest Bands (3rd order on the other bands)
    * a HDMI port
    * Antenna Diversity function 

And the 6600M adds the non-removable Maestro display. 
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks!!
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Since the 6600/M will only display 2 slices/panadapters, can a computer be connect to the radio to see all 4 slices/panadapters, or will Multi Client be required?

• WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks! Yeah i think the filters would be nice, but think im better off keeping what i have.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Clarification - HDMI port is only on the -M versions.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hdmi would be nice, but my pc has that, so no real gain. All i could really see was the filtering. But, not a huge change. I guess ill stick with my 6500. Was just trying to see. I got an offer from then on the trade amount. Was very reasonable. But i wanted to see if i should do it, or just spend the $200 and get 2.0 on my 6500 when it comes out.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Great question about the advantages. IMHO, any Flex Signature rig is better than most other HF radios out there and all the angst about selling an old model line to get one from the new model line seems like trying to get the last drop of performance possible i.e. "blood from a rock". I can see moving from a 6300 to anything higher (old or new models) for the improved dynamic range, but other than that, these are all great radios. Maybe I'm wrong, it happens.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    TBD
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The 6600M gives you the ability to perform like an IC-7610, that is, no PC required, with knobs and buttons on its front panel! OTOH, you still have full remote control. Everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

Br,
    Larry
    WA7LZO

• WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Im operating remote, so the display makes no diff to me. Have to have pc for the digi modes anyways. Save a $1K towards other toys!!
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I bet once you start actually using that 6600M with its beautiful Dell tablet hi res display, you will absolutely love it, and not want to be without it. And, don't forget those awesome knobs and buttons, too! It may just look so darn good, you will change your mind about being remote 100% of the time. Then again, your Ham friend may not let you borrow it!
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Im never at the radio end. So waste of $1k. Like buying a snow blower in Miami.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Watch it snow in Miami this week LOL
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Once you see how cool that new 6600M is, you won't want to be without it! That front panel is smokin', bro!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    I bet it snows in Miami IA :-D
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    As i stated above, i work remotely. I never go to the transmitter location. So the pretty screen is worthless to me. I only use the pc hooked to the rig for digital modes. Then at that, im remoting into it from my ipad. So im compairing the 6600 to my 6500. The only way id consider an M model is if it would allow multiple users on it at once, which was stated above, as not possible at this time. If it would, id move it to a buddies QTH, and he could use the PC or the screen. But as for me i only use IOS. So it looks like il be keeping my 6500. Thanks for the info guys
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Then get a 6600. I didn't buy a maestro either.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    With the HDMI on the 6400/M and 6600/M, no computer is needed. That is huge for those not wanting to lug a computer along or have a computer in the shack. That is one of the real gains of the front panel.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Only thing i use pc for is digi modes snd softether. V2 will replace softether, but still need pc to run digi modes remotely. Again, i am never at the radio itself.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Good to know
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Once you see that beautiful hi res screen on the 6600M, you'll change your mind! Don't forget when multi client comes along, you can operate at the station, while someone else is having remote fun. I bet you will decide to take that puppy home, once you see that screen, up close and personal :-)
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    When i bought my 6500 they said 2.0 would be out by end of march. So i sold my remoterigs and TS-480HX. Been very happy with rig. Ive managed to get by using softether as i only work remotely. Im not gonna buy a 6600M because "someday" there will be multi-op. Probably be a 7000 series by then. So, i think ill stick with what i have, till then. Thats the only reason i would do the 6600M. Cant see buying one on a pipedream, then seeing new models come along before it, much like 2.0 and my 6500. Just sayin. To each their own.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    ok..so help me understand 6600M capabilities...i understand that the 6600M will only display 2 slice/panadapter...OK about that even though the radio  is capable of 4 slices.

So how do you get to see and use all four slices?

if  i am assume by using ssdr v2.x on a PC you can see and use all four slices. So when in that mode of operation what is the display doing?

does it just go blank?

is it displaying first two slices?

does it have active control of the radio?

on the other hand not using a PC,
    Can the display open 4 slices on the radio but for display purposes you can only rotate thru by displaying two slices at a time?

ow much of this is still TBD?

any info or insight is greatly appreciated

• Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    How much of this is still TBD?

At this point, a lot of it.  We are still writing the software for it.  As soon as we have something definitive to share, we will.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Not only two transverter ports, but also two SCU's which would allow full duplex on two different antennas- SO2R capable, depending upon antenna isolation, or ability to monitor two widely divergent bands on different antennas, I.e. 160 and 6 meters at the same time......
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    ok...thanks tim
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I agree, the best feature of 6xxx series is they operate as a server and all that comes along with the ability of DAX/CAT interfaces for data manipulation and control. This combo allows for a wide rage of what i call 'ham radio assistants"...software such as cwskimmer, DDutil to name a few and the ability for wide range of digital modes.

In my shack, I run two mac mini computers with four monitors thru a KVM switch. one monitor with world map with grey line and cluster spots on it, another monitor with mldx logger with it cluster/ spot feature. still another monitor with the panadapter either using ssdr or dogparksdr and other monitor showing digital modes all connected to flex 6300. these are all ham radio assistants....my standard setup....

maximum information and situation awareness..

However, User Interfaces are extremely personal in nature. The M series  does add the all-in-one feature plus it keeps everything else i currently have with a headless server.

My preference is for maximum flexibility. The more... the merrier.

What knobs do is add real tactile feel while tuning, and the utilization of muscle memory for quick tweek of volume to name a few advantages. Knobs engage the tactile sensor feedback, spatial awareness for quick response and your eyes and ears stay engaged on the target (oops ..signal of interest).

i have 6300 and will be upgrading to 6600M. I really like my 6300 but miss diversity reception and at times the quicker human in the loop response achieved with knobs and buttons. The two SCU's for using two transvertors for satellites and few other feature toos

i enjoy using my ipad and iphone to make cw contacts while sitting on the deck and enjoying a day outside. Sometime even quick check of the band using my laptop ( macbookpro). These remote modes of operating help me achieve 8 band dxcc...by being 'there' when the band opens.

a lot to be said for remote operations and a lot to be said for sitting face to face with the radio...

i enjoy it all...

once again...the more...the merrier

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.