Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Behringer CMD Micro DJ Midi Controller for use with Flex 6000

Comments

• Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That's strange.  I'm assuming you have only one panadapter and one slice active when you start it.  This may have to do with a difference between 6700 and 6300.  I have no way to test on a 6700.  
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Love the CMD Micro app..... every link I find to update isn't working?
    Really want the 5X jog wheel....... THANKS!

Hard to find place to post that you will see..... hope it works.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    No. I am quite spoiled by my 6700 and seem to have all 8 slices open most of the time.

Well, right now it seems to be working. I'll let you know if I find any "bumps" in it!

Thanks!
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    OK, I have no way of dealing with more than one panadapter and up to two slices, so to use my program you need to limit it to that.  I'd need a much larger set of knobs/sliders/buttons to deal with more panadapters (and a lot more work to make it work).  

I have some ideas on improving the tuning knob action, but need some time to play with it.  I have set this up for my preferences, so it may not suit everyone.  

Thanks for your help in sorting things out.

Paul
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You are quite welcome, Paul.
    I will be following future added features (after all there are still controls that aren't linked to anything yet) grin>...
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Perhaps one unused control could cycle through the panadapters - thus allowing you to have your fun and still use CMD Micro.
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Further additions/changes to CMD Micro Flex program will be on a different thread as this one is very long.

Paul
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Good idea. I almost left this thread because of its age.

I'm glad that I got curious!
  • Wayne Westfield
    Wayne Westfield Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Paul,

Wonder if you might guide me a little, I have a DJ Control Air, and was attempting to write something around but My biggest problem was getting to an MIDI API that worked with windows 10. 

I was looking to change the device in your code to the DJ Control Air but did not see where you did that.  Can you point me in the correct direction?

Kind regards,
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Wayne,

I'm not sure about Windows 10, but I'll give mine a try there when i get time.  I'm currently running on Windows 7.  

Whatever MIDI controller you have hooked into your system should show up in the selection dialog, but each of the knobs, sliders, and buttons on a different controller will have to be handled differently than I have done, as it is a different controller and they assign different values to the controls, etc.  

In DJ Midi Controller, Knobs and Sliders cause "Control Events" while Buttons cause NoteOn and NoteOff events.  You would need to debug the new controller and observe which events and values are caused by each control, and then deal with how you want it to work, as I have done.  

The decoding is done in a "switch" statement for controls or another for NoteOn and NoteOff.  It should be relatively easy to determine the values for your controller and then just copy in the sections of my code which perform certain functions.  If you want something new you're on your own (that's the fun part).  

I'm glad to help where I can.  Were you able to get into my source and  play with it?
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I forgot to mention that I'm using the C# Midi Toolkit which is on Code Project website.  It is easy to use.  The Midi controller will be an Input Device.  
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    My app works perfectly on Windows 10.

• Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    To find the "switch" statements enable the code region called CMD MICRO CONTROL EVENT HANDLER where it is near the start of that region.  The event handler for buttons is in the next region.
  • Wayne Westfield
    edited May 2017
    I was not aware that you were enumerating and then giving a choice, yup understand about the remapping, have the reference docs for the device.  

So running the app I get "Invalid  number of devices", it is connected and drivers loaded correctly.  This is the same experience I have found with older methods of identifying the device.

Seems that not all things enumerate the same for some reason, https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/09/21/midi-enhancements-in-windows-10/#6DVae5G7skBDRrws.... talks about the new API but thats for UWP programs not interested in UWP being forced to install from the Store and publishing, etc.

Dale Stammen https://github.com/stammen
    did a lot of work wrapping the API

anyway the controller does work with the sample UWP code from Microsoft.

Kind regards,

• Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Wayne,

Invalid number of devices means either no controller found or more than one controller found.  There is nothing in the code that cares about what controller is found - just that it is a MIDI.  Have you tried this controller on a Windows 7 machine?  My Behringer DJ Midi Controller works fine on my Windows 10 machine, but I can't say more.  

Maybe the DJ Control Air requires some enhancement over the midi toolkit that I am using (which was implemented prior to W10).  I found info on MIDI with Windows 10 at
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/audio-video-camera/midi

which may help.  Perhaps the addition of the two "using" statements will make it work.  

Also, there is an API called Midi-Dot-Net which may do better with Windows 10.  I tried it but found the MIDI Toolkit easier to use.

Anyway, I'd be interested in knowing if you can make it work.

Paul

• Wayne Westfield
    edited May 2017
    Hi Paul ,  yeah I looked at that APi about 3 months ago no joy there, the Windows 10 is strange in that MS are (d cks) about only doing things around the UWP space.

I know the device is found and can send and read note events when using the the UWP version, will have to try the WIN 7 if I still have my image around.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Hi Folks !
    i am just a bit stuck
    Where i can find out available latest SW  for CMD Micro with UM ?
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If anyone want's other functions assigned to the UNUSED buttons, let me know.  I have it set up for my preferences.  It probably works well only with one panadapter.

Paul
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thank you Paul !
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Will give you update today
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Hi Paul !so, recognised not so pretty issue - with fast rotation of turning knobs many drops out with changing of freq. that give bad feeling while tuning

well, concerning unused buttons - the best solution is to create a separate lookup table to create  ability necessary feature selection by user itself, what doe you think ?
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Yes, Sergey, I was not yet able to solve the tuning knob issue, which is caused by resource overload in Windows.  One solution is to throw away some of the rapid interrupts from the tuning knob, but I didn't like how that worked.  But, there is a second partial solution.  If you tune using the outer plastic rim of the knob it will use small steps for fine tuning, and using the  metal inner hub of the tuning knob it will tune faster.  That way you have less inclination to spin the knob too fast.  If you turn the knob too fast it will momentarily pause the tuning.   I suppose Windows is too slow in handling the interrupts so it gets bogged down.

So, I use a Flex Control Knob for smoother tuning, and only use the DJ Cmd Micro tuning knobs for split mode tuning.  William Hemmingson's implementation somehow solved this problem, but he used the Ethernet API rather than Flexlib, so it wouldn't work for me.

I had considered making the association between Cmd Micro Knobs/Sliders/Buttons and SSDR functions user assignable through an ASCII text tile which the user could set up.  But, I decided not to do this because it's a lot of work and I don't have the time or patience to do it.  Also, many of the controls are not just a look-up, but also require some added code.  So in the end I just decided that the user could take the source and customize (branch) to their own liking.  It's not that difficult.

But I am willing to assign additional SSDR functions to the unused DJ controls (where possible) and update the project.  But it should probably be limited to one-Panadapter operation since there just aren't enough  DJ Micro controls for more.  Let me know if you know of a way to debug/solve the resource overload problem - as I'm not that much of a Windows programmer :-(.

73,  Paul  AA6Z
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Nice work Paul! 
  • Vit
    Vit Member
    edited October 2017
    Hello, I am Midi Controller beginer, my question is .. is it possible modify  vat.txt to my own arrangement?. If yes, how?...... 73 from Vit, OK5MM
  • Vit
    Vit Member
    edited October 2017
    ..... my email adress....     ok5mm@post.cz

• Trevor-EI2GLB
    Trevor-EI2GLB Member
    edited October 2017
    Anyone know how I can get the RX ANT button to include the RX antenna and XVTR ports presently it only cycles through ANT 1 and ANT 2

I'm using Williams last version

Thanks
    Trevor
    EI2GLB
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    This was a question in an Idea post Please reference the new conversation here: How to get RX and XVTR ports assigned using the DJ Midi Controller
  • M0AOV
    M0AOV Member ✭✭

Hi All just getting in to using the cmd-micro-dj-controller and wondered if anyone had the FULL install Prog, I've got some info but I don't think I have the full Pro to install the full software I'm not sure so any help would be great, I'd love to get this controller working with my Flex 6300 and windows 7 64bit

• NR0X
    NR0X Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"I have a version that I customized to turn one of the sliders into a zoom function. I'm not back to my shack until tomorrow, but if you want it, shoot me an email to jason@nr0x.org and I'll send you what I have.\n\nJason\n"}]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.