Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Fully Automated Flex Station using the radio as a server

Mack
Mack Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
At the Dayton Hamvention Flex Radio banquet I was asked to present how I'm using my Flex Radio station in a fully automated fashion using the Radio as a server to control devices. A computer is not required to be running. Here is a copy of my presentation in case you're interested. I've included an outline of my speaker notes in the presentation. I encourage you to use these fantastic capabilities which are unique to Flex radios.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12-FOsTHAYIbRRRuI5AD4QnC7k8IbS37TG5IR4yHrFnE/edit?usp=sharing

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Team

Comments

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for sharing Mac.  Very nice.

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes, thanks Mack, great presentation Saturday night, enjoyed seeing your vintage AM/SSB stations and all you did to automate the Flex!

Regards, Dennis, k0eoo
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thank you Mack. You've confirmed my recent decision to move to the DXLab Suite was the right one.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Wow... I bow to you sir! He humbly bows and backs away.......

• Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    how about rotators ?

on my side i work now on a ESP8266 wifi module whit ack as winsock serial port

think i may great if flex permit to use SmartSDR CAT for send serial to radio FTDI serial cable 
    so may remote control  third party serial device trough the radio link

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    For rotator control I use green heron controllers connected via green hearin everywhere. I expose The port to the Internet and connect via my mobile device remotely. Flex does allow a third-party to program via the API. Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • AA5JD John
    AA5JD John Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I attended the Thursday Flex Banquet so I'm happy to have a copy of your presentation on Saturday. Thanks for sharing!
    John - AA5JD
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Very impressive! After a lot of research into building my own automated Flex setup, it was very reassuring to see a lot of what I decided to buy/build is also in use in your shack! Thanks for a great presentation!

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ok Mac, I just went through your presentation and was very impressed. At the end you asked if any questions, I'll ask the forbidden one, how does one afford all this? Also I would love to play with a ART-13 I just love the whole mechanical movement of the rig. My hat is off to you OM.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I am unable to view the link. I have clicked it several times to no avail!
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Dave,

No bows necessary. I love all aspects of ham radio and especially my many ham radio friends.

Mack
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Rory,

I've been a ham for 49 year so I've collected a lot over the years. My short story. I grew up in poverty, joined the Army 18 and retired as a Colonel serving in the Infantry and Rangers. I am now the global head of a multi-billion dollar Fortune 50 company. I've worked every day of my life since age 12.

Much of this equipment came to me at little cost and was missing most of the paint and not working. I've spent countless hours restoring the vintage equipment to factory new condition without "ham" modifications. For example, each of the R-390A receivers take about 200 hours to restore.

I've been fortunate in my life to accumulate this collection. I spend far more on antennas than I do radios as I believe that is the most important aspect of working the world. 

The ART-13 is a great rig! Pick one up when you get the chance. You'll need to build a somewhat custom power supply but plans are available on the Internet. I can offer tips if decide to proceed. I have a 40 foot storage container filled with vintage gear waiting to be restored by me after retirement.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Reginald,

Here is the link again https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12-FOsTHAYIbRRRuI5AD4QnC7k8IbS37TG5IR4yHrFnE/edit?usp=sharing

Dozens have opened the presentation. Perhaps try a different web browser or computer if this doesn't work.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    How are you controlling the 8 position RX array?

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thank you Mac for the insight, I sure wished I had started my ham career when I was younger. I was looking at some old  ham magazines and in the 60's ART-13 were being sold for about $50 bucks and with dynomotors too! I was born in 62 and started playing with electronics when I was about 12 or 13 but never knew about ham radio but I did have walkie talkies! I have in my shack a TS-820S that I brought back from the dead and enjoy rag chewing on it so someday I'll find a 13 and listen to some mechanical wizardry. 73 and thank you. 
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    John,

I use Green Heron Everywhere to the RX Antenna controller. I expose a port on the GH Everywhere server to the Internet and connect the client via the remote computer. The 8 circle active receive antenna communications are over WiFi using Yagi antennas on both ends. http://www.greenheronengineering.com/GHE_Overview.php

Let me know if you need more info. I use my station remotely all over the world while traveling for business. With SmartLink (coming soon to everyone when we get the bugs out) it's super simple.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thank you Mack.

Tim VE6SH
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    John,

I use Green Heron Everywhere to the RX Antenna controller. I expose a port on the GH Everywhere server to the Internet and connect the client via the remote computer. The 8 circle active receive antenna communications are over WiFi using Yagi antennas on both ends. http://www.greenheronengineering.com/GHE_Overview.php

Let me know if you need more info. I use my station remotely all over the world while traveling for business. With SmartLink (coming soon to everyone when we get the bugs out) it's super simple.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Mack...  what WIFI yagi antennas are you using with GHE.    What distance do you need to cover?
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Larry,

I'm using these antennas http://a.co/aSg0JzB . 

I'm covering about 1/3 mile point to point. 

Mack
    W4AX
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    It's likely Enzo's arduino sketch and library could be adapted to the ESP8266

https://iw7dmh.jimdo.com/arduino-flex-switch-box/

73  W9OY 
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    my home made controller use K3GN software for drive my RAS Spid rotator
    i actually what to use this https://github.com/beckdac/ESP8266-transparent-bridge
    PstRotator not handle winsock serial port so need something on local side

but i also use Enzo Great LIB , but on the AMP side  for band decoding and software ALC

i  plant to put all the station in a 20" shipping container on a remote site 
    if all go good it be operational for august or sooner

73 Marc  VE2OLM
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    got it! tnx

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.