Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Model Fan Noise Level?

Since the new models are in a larger case and designed to be "front and center" at the operating position, can someone at FRS comment on how the noise level of the cooling fans compares to the 6300/6500 models? Less, more, or about the same, especially during receive? I've tried both a 6300 and 6500. Loved the radios, but could not tolerate the constant whine of the fans. Thanks.....

Answers

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Luther, initially in my radio was this fan ->https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sunon-fans/KD1208PHB1-13.(2).F.GN/259-1443-ND/1291183
    but i never ran with 100w and decide to change to reach min noise, i have selected GemBird this device:
    GemBird D8015SM-3  

Important note:  
    Sanon: 40cfm and 3000rpm - 35db(noise)
    Gembird: ~31cfm and 2600rpm - 27db(noise)

as i said i never use 100w and -8db make a big differents for me

BTW: test results with GemBird ->  
                        first 5min with full power carrier: t = 70C 
                        5min more with full power carrier: t  =74C , Pout = 89w

but noise like with my Macbook right now - test passed

PS:  Sanon = 40cfm !!!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    The air flow dynamics for cooling the radios have changed in the 6400/6600. It should be quieter since we are using a larger fan.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Which new type of the FAN in use ?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    A quiet one ;-) It is a three wire computer case type fan. 80mm I believe.
  • N4UW- Luther
    N4UW- Luther Member
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Tim- That was what I was hoping for. I'll certainly consider giving Flex another try.

Sergey- Thanks also for your comments. While replacing fans would be an option, I would not try that on a new radio since it would rightfully void the warranty. I did experiment with a  home-brew cover lined with sound-absorbing foam that did not restrict the air flow and still allowed access to the front and rear panels.  That did reduce the noise quite a bit but not enough for me. My shack layout  would not allow for a remote location of the radio in a closet or other room without extensive remodeling. I loathe fan noise, and went to great lengths to build a nearly silent desktop PC.  I currently use a K3s/100 with LP-Pan, sound card, etc. to get panadapter and skimmer capability. The fans in the K3s only come on during TX and cycle back off quickly, so it does not  contribute much to the ambient noise level in the shack.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.