Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Trying to install FlexVSP on Windows XP SP3 machine. Won't install. Script missing error message.

Geoff_W8GNM
Geoff_W8GNM Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Does anyone know a work around to get FlexVSP to install on a Windows XP SP3 machine?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    Windows XP is no longer a supported operating system.  If it will not load, I recommend using a supported OS (Win7 and above)
  • Geoff_W8GNM
    Geoff_W8GNM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for reply Tim. Yes, I realize that Windows XP SP3 is no longer supported, but I have heard that XP SP3 has worked with the Flex Virtual Serial Port for other users. I have a stable XP system that I run my TRX-Manager Cat control / logging program on and I don't want to rebuild that system now just to establish serial communications with the Flex 6600M. Every other component of SmartSDR installed OK. I think if I can resolve the "missing script" issue, I can get the serial communications working. Is there an alternative way for the 6600M to communicate with Trx-manager via a USB to serial converter? Thanks for your help. 73, Geoff - W8GNM
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Would it be worth it though? Going to the trouble of massaging an unsupported OS into working means any problems you have will be unsupported. Any hangups any feature that doesn't work - is it the radio, or WXP? You don't even need a super powerful computer these days, so a couple hundred will get you something that will work FB. -73 Mike N3LI -
  • KT0AM  - Mark
    KT0AM - Mark Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Additionally there is the security aspect... WinXP is notoriously hackable. For example, the latest WannaCry ransomware specifically targeted WinXP machines. I know that this is preaching to the choir on this list but I strongly encourage friends, relatives, clients and random strangers to jettison WinXP. (Come to think of it, I do get interesting reactions from the random strangers). It's just not worth the security risks any longer. There's no way I would allow a WinXP machine on my home network and I'm adequate with firewall/network security.

Remember, this opinion and $4.50 will get you a small coffee at Starbucks! Cheers, all! KT0AM
  • Geoff_W8GNM
    Geoff_W8GNM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.  I am quite familiar with the security aspects of Win XP and have taken steps, including the MS Win XP ransomware patch to protect my installation for the time being.   I do have Win7 and Win10 computers, but have not yet integrated one into my ham shack/laboratory.  You may wonder why I still have a WinXP system in my shack/lab.  The reason is, that I continue to use some older ham radio, circuit analysis, and equipment control software applications that will not run under Win7 or later without setting up a virtual Win XP operating system.
    I placed an advance order for the Flex 6600M because I plan to use the built-in GUI for control of the radio instead of SmartSDR running on an outboard computer.   I don't need the CAT computer interface to operate it and I didn't want to have to integrate a new computer system into my lab/shack right now just to establish serial communications to my logging program.   I will eventually have to purchase and integrate a new computer into my shack/lab for use with the Flex 6600M, but short term, I was just looking for a way to get serial communications via FlexVSP or a USB to serial converter dongle going between the 6600M and the WinXP logging program.  73, W8GNM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.