Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Keyed SDR vs multiple radios

Rob Salsgiver
Rob Salsgiver Member
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
In the recently release FAQ and other conversations it was noted that SmartSDR as software is keyed to a specific radio and cannot  be used for multiple radios.  How does this work with the remote radio control capabilities and why is it not available within my own shack to run multiple Flex pieces of hardware through a single copy of SmartSDR?  I would rather not have the need to install and configure multiple copies of SmartSDR to run/access/use each radio.  The issue becomes further muddied if I consider having my wife or guests use SmartSDR on separate PCs as a "local" remote operator in the shack to use my 3rd or 4th panadapter while I am using the radio.  Can we get some more clarity on how the pieces will work together?

Rob Salsgiver - NR3O

Answers

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Someone from Flex can confirm or clarify but I think the software is keyed to the install on the radio (server) not the PC(s) client. So you could install the 2.0 release on multiple client devices but only on one radio. If you have multiple radios you will need additional purchases and licenses to upgrade them to the 2.0 release. Additionally they will probably install the 2.0 release in a separate location on the client device so if you have multiple radios and upgrade one to 2.0 and decide to upgrade the others you can still use the older client or the 2.0 client maybe able to handle legacy version servers.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    "why is it not available within my own shack to run multiple Flex pieces of hardware through a single copy of SmartSDR?" First off, congratulations for having multiple Flex radios. Second, although the software is installed on a PC, it's licensed for the radio - to reverse that model would cause greater headaches than the current model I suspect. I expect (hope) someone from Flex will respond and say that you only need one installation of SmartSDR, and the V2 features will only be operational on radios licensed for V2, other radios will have V2 features greyed-out. That would seem a reasonable model, and would facilitate the roll-out of future improvements of V1 features. Just my opinion, I look forward to hearing Flex's answer.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    That is close to how it will work.  

You can freely download and install 2.x client software on your PC to your heart's content.  If you try to connect to a radio that is only licensed for 1.x, it will not connect; you will get a message that the radio is not licensed and provided an opportunity to upgrade your radio.

To connect to the radio used in the example above that is licensed for 1.x, you will need to run a version of 1.x client software.

If you have multiple radios, each radio will have to be licensed for 2.x or not, that is the operator's choice.

For SmartLink or remote control, the same applies.  If you are using a 2.0 client, the radio being connected to must be licensed for 2.0
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    This means in a mixed radio setup some at 2.x and some at 1.x you will need have both clients installed? How are the DAX and CAT drivers handled in a mixed setup?

I can see people that have a 6300 and a 6500/6700 might want to upgrade the 6500/6700 but save the money and not the 6300. They would still want to access both from the same PC client.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    SmartSDR is two pieces - the client and the server (radio firmware).

The client can be installed on anything. This is the Windows app that you use.

The server radio firmware is in the radio and is therefore tied to  the radio.

When you initially install the client and connect to a radio that doesn't have the same firmware you're asked to upgrade/downgrade. From what I understand, if the radio isn't licensed for 2.0 it won't be able to be upgraded to 2.0.

Of course this is logically how I think it would work. FRS could do something completely different but this is the most logical. 

The SmartLink feature as demonstrated at Xenia involves signing into a SmartLink account and the radios are associated to that account. 

Ria
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    This means in a mixed radio setup some at 2.x and some at 1.x you will need have both clients installed?

Yes.

How are the DAX and CAT drivers handled in a mixed setup?

My assumption is that you will need to launch and run the 2.x versions of CAT and DAX to work with a 2.x licensed radio.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    So you will need to run the 1.x and the 2.x CAT and DAX. Can they run at the same time so you can access both mixed version radios at the same time or will you need to stop the 1.x software and start the 2.x and visa versa accessing only one version radio at a time?

• Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    Can they run at the same time so you can access both mixed version radios at the same time or will you need to stop the 1.x software and start the 2.x and visa versa accessing only one version radio at a time?

Due to their reliance on kernel mode drivers, my assumption the answer is no, but all this has not been fully worked out just yet.
  • Rob Salsgiver
    Rob Salsgiver Member
    edited May 2017
    Thanks all for the feedback.  Most of the question quite frankly was due to my ignorance of the current client / server licensing model.  To be clear, I'm not (yet) in the fortunate position to have multiple Flex radios.  Although I've watched them for a couple years now, I've made the reservation to be in the group waiting for one of the new units later this year.  The bigger part of my concern at the moment was understanding how the upcoming remote clients and multiple (local) clients could be used in the 2.0 release.  Thanks to all for filling in some of the blanks.   I have at least enough of a "warm & fuzzy" that I can continue waiting for my 6600 with a lower resting heart rate <g>.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.