Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-6300 value?

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am considering taking a trade-in on a Flex 6300 towards some higher value HF gear I currently have for sale. The 6300 is about three months old. No tuner, just the radio itself. What is a fair value for it? What could I get if I turn around and try and sell it at this point in time? As I already own a 6500, I have no need for it myself. With all the recent happenings, I am a little hesitant on taking it in. I'm just wondering if the current delivery status will help the value at all, if any. Considering the new 6400 is going to be priced at $2000, what would someone here be willing to pay for one in mint condition at this point in time? Depending on what It is worth, if I take it in on trade, I may have it for sale shortly. Eric K2CB

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2018
    That is a reasonable question.  If you want a reasonable answer devoid of emotion and conjecture, I suggest that you look at some of the radio trading sites and see what they are selling for.

If you want a hassle free experience, you can also use our Trade Up program to trade it in on the 6400 you are considering
    http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/purchase-programs/
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited May 2017
    Hi Tim,

At this point I'm going to keep my 6500.

Being I have the Maestro already, and prefer the XLR audio input, there's no compelling reason for me personally to upgrade at this time. But I am trying to help out a good friend who has the 6300 and wants to move on to something else. So I am looking to sell it out right rather than trade it in.

I've looked at the usual sites, and I haven't seen any for sale since just prior to Dayton. I'm sure it has had some affect on value, the million dollar question is how much? That is what I am trying to gauge before I take this radio on trade.

Eric
    K2CB
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    RRR thanks for the clarification.
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I think two are for sale now on QTH.com so you can see what they are asking
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited November 2018
    Yes, but all but one are from prior to Dayton.  The latest one with Maestro, subtracting full Maestro value, it seems high.  My question is more along the lines of "what would someone pay" rather than what should I ask.   Obviously the ones still on QTH haven't sold yet. 
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I sold my 6300 with ATU 4 months ago for $2200
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I'd pay up to $1,500 for it as described, but I don't need one. With the emotion running so high on this topic, it may be hard to sell at that price. I just bought a refurb 6300 from Flex, paid $2,350 for unit with ATU, no regrets, but it came with a 2 year warranty. If the original warranty transfers, I think $1,500 is a fair price, less without warranty. What your friend paid isn't a factor, but a 25% discount off new (6400 in this case) radio at $2K seems fair. You asked for thoughts, those are mine.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Best offer I received for my 6300 prior to 6400 announcement was £1550. One sold recently for £1200 and another for £1450. 6500 on sale before Dayton was £3500 second hand. Now one of the members on here is failing to sell at £2500 I have decided to keep my 6300 and am waiting for a 6700 to come up second hand in the short term. If not a 6600 or 6900 will be on my shopping list for 2018 (will leave it to braver people to test drive them for a few months first). If I were you I wouldn't offer more than 1000 dollars for a used 6300.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited May 2017
    Key words - "4 months before Dayton announcement"!
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited May 2017

I was thinking along the same lines as you, Ken.  When the new 6400 is priced at $2000, I think it will be hard to expect the $1800-2000 people were getting prior to last week's announcement. The $1500 price range is what I had in mind.  I am just hesitant to take it on trade when the market is kind of in a state of flux at the moment.

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited May 2017
    The only positive note at the moment is that there no 6300s or 6400s to be had new at the moment, so maybe there is some upside, at least temporarily.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited May 2017

For $1000, I'd be inclined to keep it myself as a spare for remote operations, or to use it in my workshop, but I don't think I am going to get it that cheap!  At least not yet!

• Bill Perkins
    Bill Perkins Member
    edited May 2017
    I'd go $1500 on it if it really is 100%. Don't care about a tuner, prefer external.
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes but there may be people who do not know whats going on and nows the time to go for the higher price
  • Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited October 2018
    Anyone looking to sell a 6k towards another radio should really inquire about the trade up program. I was offered a very reasonable number that surpassed what the used market was selling them for when i traded my 6300 up to a 6500.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    For a while I've been contemplating an upgrade from the 6300 simply for the extra dynamic range in the bigger brothers. Now that these new rigs will be coming, market forces will be compressing prices for all the used 63/65/6700s. That used 6500 might be the sweet spot for me. But then again, it depends on what the 6600 will be selling for new, and what I can get for the 6300 on the trade-in program. Decisions, decisions.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    $1500 is the price point where I'd buy one too.  They are still very good radios and supported by Flex. Some want to sell for $1800 and more which makes no sense since you'd want to buy the $199 v2.0 upgrade and end up at the same price point as a 6400.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    One things for sure the new price on the 6600 is a steal. Im shocked they are selling it at the same price as the 6500. I would have expected $4700-5K. So for the new buyer, they are getting a great deal. Will see where the 6500 values go down to.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.