Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500 discontinued

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Why do I feel like I just got kicked in the teeth?  my shiny new (fairly new) 6500 is discontinued?  Do I have to upgrade to an 6600 or some other model to be able to use all the new software being released?  Is there a comparison between a 6500 and a 6600?  Is flex going to do the "upgrade deal" like they did in the past?

No sure I like the 6500M with the radio face on it but that is just me.

Sorry I just do not like purchasing a fairly new radio and spending the money I did and a year later being told that it's discontinued and being replaced by another model, makes me feel like there is something wrong with the model I have...

But I digress

Answers

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You're good David, 2.0 will run our 6500's. Mine will be a year old come June 1st and really don't need a new 6600, Now if Matt want's to send me one for even trade, perhaps. I contest but not a pro, I like doing RTTY, JT65 stuff so the 6500 is a perfect fit for me and I also just added a PR40 with XLR to back and I use the 8 pin for my Radiosport headset.  What I did like is the carrot Gerold dangled on the PowerGenuis, a free remote ATU if you buy before the end of the year, now that's something to consider.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You need not feel that way.

While there are some changes in other areas, the main one seems to be a different chassis to accommodate the 'M' variant's Maestro-like front panel. The 6300/6500 will still be software compatible and will, of course, run V2.0. 

Owners of all the 6x00 radios produced up to now will have to pay a fee ($200 is being rumored) to license the new software but that information was present in the sales literature when I got my 6300 a couple of years ago.

• Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    David, I got my new shiny 6500 less than 8 months ago. Do I feel like I have been duped? Absolutely NO! My 6500 do perform just as good as prior to the anoucement of the new radios.  After looking at the specs of the 6600 and the new formfactor, I do not have the itch to upgrade...

What we have to start accept is that the life cycle of this kind of product is not 15 nor 5 years, more like 3 years. The 63/5/700 have been on the market for ~3 years,
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Oh I forgot that Lasse, the form factor issue for me would be a problem since I have mine tucked away under the desk.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Do people get this upset when a legacy radio is discontinued? I guess I would also ask - what is the solution? Stop selling any current models a year before new models come out? Or just make one model, and go out of business after a couple years.

My 6300 is a fine bit of kit, and will remain so, even if it isn't top of the line. My IC-746 is the same radio it always was, even though it isn't sold any more. It's all good.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thank you Tim...
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    One way to look at it is that your current car will be "discontinued" when next years' models come out. It doesn't prevent you from enjoying your automobile for as many years as it lasts. It's not "obsolete" or "unsupported." If someday you want a new one with a new capability or style, go buy one. But if the features and price that appealed to you with your current car still hold, ride on!
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Well I remember buying the first ICOM IC-706 and each time upgraded to Mark I , Mark 2, Mark2G,
    then the IC-7000, felt like I funded ICOM's Research & Development Program in the ICOM
    IC-706 series of radio's 
    73 mike
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Rory (or anyone),

Is that offer published somewhere?  I made a deposit on a PG/XL in early
    February, but don't know anything about the tuner bonus.

Thanks,  Ned,  K1NJ

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    It's no different than your 2017 automobile which will soon be replaced by a 2018 model. Flex radio System is a business who is there to make money if they don't come out with new products people will look to other companies. If they didn't introduce new products they would be accused of being behind the times.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    It was in the interview the Tom W5KUB did with Gerald. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    It will be published in written format shortly.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Good one Mike,
    My IC706 At 21years old is still going strong and works well.
    My 2009 Passat was new just before the new model and had benefited from a lot of fixes.
    Any car depreciates as soon as you use it.
    I have other legacy radios in mobile form factor one with components made of unobtainium.
    Another still in production for over a decade.
    When Flex has a direct sampling radio in a mobile size box I will be sold.
    The 6400 is close but too big.
    Andrew
  • Brian Hemmis
    Brian Hemmis Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Personally I like the looks of my 6500 & Maestro better than the new Flex with knob radios. With my modest antennas it's doubtful I'd hear a difference among any of them. Plus once v2.0 is released I can take the Maestro to FL and operate my 6500 back in OH remotely. I can see why Flex is going in the direction it is but I'm more than happy with my year old combo.

• Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    My 6500 delivered at the beginning has had plenty of use and is still as good as new.
    The software is renewed on a regular basis.
    Andrew de vk5cv
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Correction: The 6500/6700 shipping for 4 years and the 6300 for 3 years.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    One positive is that your 6500 can get a new "engine" periodically when the next version of software is released.  

Think of it as buying a great car, and then finding out that even several years after it was released you can add anti-lock brakes, remote starting, turbocharger, upgrade the radio, and put heated seats in it for a small charge, less than 5% of the cost of the car.

But after you purchased it, they upgraded the model with a modified body, higher horsepower engine, upgraded controls on the steering wheel, and includes standard some of the features that you paid for as an upgrade.

But the good news is, that both cars can add any upgrades released in the future.  some of them will be minor upgrades, for free.  But there may be additional major upgrades that will cost another upgrade fee for both cars.

Unfortunately, some people can become afflicted with "Prius envy" and can no longer appreciate what a great car they have, just because a new model has been released.

But others will see a few features the new model has and decide that those particular features are highly desired or essential and will trade in for the new model.

Ken - NM9P
  • Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I have been enjoying DX life with Flex6500 for 3 and a quarter years.
    I have KWM-2A and K3 on the shelf as a legacy and I am glad to know that I do not need to put Flex6500 to that shelf for a while. 
    So far, Flex6500 is the best X'cvr I have ever used.
    Thank you FRS!!
    de JI1BNU, JA2IYJ/1
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'm a computer guy, so knobs don't mean a whole lot to me, other than the tuning knob, so I have a flexcontrol for that. 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Your post made me think of something. I'm rather deaf - I hear almost othing above 2.5 KHz, and not a huge lot below that. 

But I wanted my license so I learned OOK Morse when it was sill a requirement. It was difficult, but I did it. I don't use it much because it is difficult for me, because my brain doesn't differentiate between noise and pitch. 

A lot of other people waited waited waited for the inevitable Morse code requirement to end. I had many more years to enjoy Amateur Radio, so those folks lost out on that. Who was smarter?

Now I have had my Flex 6300 for heading on two years now. I've had more than 2500 dollars of enjoyment out of it. 

So if anyone is worried about the next model coming out, impacting the value of their present one,  I would suggest that they wait until the next models after these new ones, then the next model after that, and that, and that. 

Wait until there are no new models that will make your radio worth less. 
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    One must also remember that components have a limited manufactured life span and may determine when a manufacture must discontinue a product.  It looks like Intel has a new i7 every 6 months. You think one could purchase enough to manufacture 1000 computers using the 3 year old version i7?  Then you would have to find all the other components to match.  Just saying that even if Flex didn't decide to stop manufacturing 6300 and 6500 it might no be their choice.  

I'm very pleased with my 6500 (regardless of what it's resale value may be) it still works as good as ever. Actually better than the day I got it with all the added features  and improved performance thru software over the past 2 years and all that software at no additional cost. My only regret is that I couldn't afford to purchase a 6700. (still can't)

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I use AUX1 to select active slice, AUX2 to adjust agc-t, and AUX3 as either XIT or RIT depending upon whether I am running a frequency or doing S&P or hunting DX with splits. The FlexControl Knob makes splits simple. For simple splits using XIT, I just hit AUX3 and "throw" the knob to the right or left. When highly zoomed, I can see exactly where the last station worked him I wouldn't have a flex without the flex control knob.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I wish I could  feel your pain but its just so predictable.

New law: No company can come out with a new product I have purchased within the past 18 months (and even then I might post the email saying I feel like I have lost something). Of course they will likely not be able to meet competitive products trying to encroach on their product line and will go out of business, but I have an email about that situation also.

Come on guys, forums and the internet give everyone the opportunity to post a picture of every meal and text every interior thought but we do not have to do this. Let the company thrive so it can give us the great support we currently get and introduce new products that maintain their technological lead!

Sorry!
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    And Flex has still not acted on my perfectly reasonable demand for a integrated Keurig coffee maker.
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited May 2017
    This is your expert advice (Elmer)!?! Just point him to the new hardware FAQ and move on. Most of his questions are answered within.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Steve,  you are right, my response was too snarky but this is the 4th generation of Flex radio  and I have seen some form of this note 3 times now, almost always the Monday following the  excitement of a great weekend of announcements. 

No manufacturer tries harder than Flex to bring new features to their buyers than Flex and yet they get pinned with these notes. I just wish people would let Flex have their moment of excitement instead of this type of sentiment.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    We are waiting for all K cups to become recyclable first.  Gotta take care of the planet. ;-)
  • Brian Hemmis
    Brian Hemmis Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Somehow I wound up with 2 Flex control knobs. It's a very useful tool indeed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.