Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Pictures of Dayton 2017?

Answers

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Undocked SmartSDR panadapters.

• K6HN
    K6HN Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Now this is something I look forward to. Thanks for the pic!
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    What do you mean "undocked"?
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Look at how the controls and the panadapter are in separate Windows, and can be moved without being constrained by the main application window. Neat, huh? Peter K1PGV
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Look at the picture, Larry. Two slices and the settings panel have been separated into Three "undocked" windows.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    A friend sent me a photo from the flea market area. image
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    They're for manual tuning. image
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Not surprising since that field is part of the Water Catchment Basin to prevent flooding of the race track

Sewage Volcano or Mud Bath....

Gotta Love the 3rd World that Dayton tries to live down to...

Still an embarrassment for the USA no matter how much it serves the "Ordinary Ham"

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'm not much of a "convention goer"... I don't even much enjoy attending technical conferences at which I'm presenting. But, having said that, I have to agree with Howard. From the pics I've seen Xenia looks hot, wet, and dreadful. Humankind has developed air conditioning and actual buildings (with, you know, actual walls) for good reasons. If the Hamvention was at a big, modern, comfortable conference center I might at least consider attending. Fairgrounds... not so much. But that's just me. K1PGV (Oddly enough, I actually LIKE going to the fair. See the animals, watch the judging, eat fried dough. It's a good time.)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    if that was what people wanted then Dayton would be dead and everyone would be going to Visalia, Ham Com or other hamfests held in convention centers.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Nearly everyone I met had a good time. Yes, there are some growing pains but it is a positive this year vs last. Vendors sold out of a lot of stuff! I couldn't find a TYT DMR radio for love or money. Everyone was sold out. Those of us who actually went there know the real story. You can't judge by hearsay. The mud was problematic but for a brand new venue it went remarkably smooth.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The important question of course, is not what people will say after this Hamvention, 

What is critical is next year and the year after. It will be declared a great success - of that there is no doubt. But will the people return? I have not seen anything that entices me.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I just don't understand why Hams aren't grateful for this temporary (1 more dreadful year in Ohio until Seattle 2019---WhooHoo!) change of venue. I mean, I heard there was not poop floating on the floors this year! Comon, ppl!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

I must admit to being a Hamfest ****.  I have been going to Dayton most years since 1961.  In my youth (1960's 1970's) I attended a Hamfest somewhere in the world nearly every weekend if a project took me close except when I had a project that made travel impossible..../

For the last couple of Decades I have also attended Friedrichshafen, Visalia, Tokyo to name a few. 

I go to eyeball friends around the world, see the latest innovations, buys NEW stuff at discounted convention prices and share a lot of Adult Beverages. 

OTOH I rarely if ever buy anything in the Flea Market because the stuff I have throw in the garbage is usually newer and better quality that the stuff for sale.

However.. in the last few years, most of the Hamfest's have now moved into Modern Convention Centers with real walls, Air Conditioning, Real Food and Adult Beverages... sort of the norm for the 21st Century...Most are convenient to Airports.  Yes the Flea Markets have become a pale shadow of yesteryear everywhere.. but you only had to look at the Mudbath to see that is now true at XENIA as well..

Bottom Line: For the Hamfest that bills itself as the Premier USA Ham Event, the choice of 19th Century Cow Sheds (albeit better than the Sewage Volcano)  rather than a Modern 21st Century Convention Center is a real disappointment.  I have Ham Friends around the world who after attending Dayton comment how 3rd World Dayton is and how much the USA has deteriorated over the years. 

So far, with the exception of Ria.. who sees the bright side of everything....I have been getting consistent negative reports from most of my friends who attended,

Quoted from Pat WA6MHZ- an avid Flea Marketer

" I get an "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!" on the Flea Market!! You cannot have a tailgate on Grass. wait till Sunday when they need to have a ZILLION Tow Trucks to pull the vendors out of the mud!!!  The Infield is going to be completely trashed with all the vehicle activity.  They need to have the Flea Market on PAVEMENT!!!"

• G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    ...or have the fleamarket all indoors as in Friedrichshafen!
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    would you believe Flex booth?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Remoting From Xenia

My station located in La Jolla California is one of many stations connected through SmartLink and being demonstrated at the flex booth. It looks like the booth was pretty busy as I see more than a couple of dozen logins or connections to my station from Xenia The only annoying thing is that I had sound muted here and remoted to Xenia. But occasionally someone would ounmute the sound and routed to my station in La Jolla which wakes up the dogs and causes them to Bark
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I have pics on my Facebook. I'm going to post product photos from multiple vendors tonight.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Some quotes from attendees
    :
    "And the transport between rain drenched parking lots and the site. Good luck trying to get a 2WD car moving through the mud!"
    "Reports I have heard have been complaints about lack of air conditioning from 3 contacts with people working mobile from there."

"People had problems getting to the venue this morning; most took an hour for the final mile. There aren't many access roads."

"Very few permanent WC facilities - many portable WC's were installed for the venue."

"Take a change of shoes and socks if the day calls for rain, or if rain comes the night before."

"Also, the traffic in small town Xenia was very challenging as well. It took me 45 minutes once I reached the outskirts of town to get into the parking area and find a spot."

Then I stopped looking. To be sure, there were people who thought it was a great idea. There were  some positive comments. And no doubt if DARA went the more upscale convention center route, there would be others complaining that they abandoned the flea to some extent.

But perhaps they should look in the rear view mirror. If I were running a Hamfest, and having a competitive nature, I would choose this point to make a run for number one, to capture the discretionary money of the hams.  It's all in choices, good or bad. Pretty obvious that I don't think its a good choice.
  • Cliff - G4PZK
    Cliff - G4PZK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    It was always my dream to go to Dayton (or wherever it's moved to now) but looking at this picture it looks a million years behind Friedrichshafen's very modern, well organised, mud free!, conference halls. Looks like I made the right choice again this year, Germany it is.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Lot's of folks got muddy shoes and wet socks !
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    W6VNR, report from Dayton Agree with most of what Howard wrote. New venue is better then Dayton’s bathrooms. Other then that- Traffic is very bad, I left hotel in Dayton Crown Plaza at 9:15am arrived 11:30 am. Hot, no shade, no AC. The new place has shrunk some of the walkways were booths are located about ½ or more of the aisles that were in Hara. Making for very congested walking. It was like walking in Times Sq. on New Years Eve. The maps of vendors were misleading to me. Joe, W6VNR
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    If the convention center idea is the future then let another group start their own and run with it. If hamvention is unappealing then people will abandon it in favor of the new event. As far as the restrooms go I found that there were quite a few there. For sure it wasn't Hara and I feel sorry for the guys who were lining up (the women's restroom had no lines though). I had no problems with finding a restroom. Traffic on day 2 was better than on day 1. They did some rerouting and fixed a few things. I liked the food vendors. There were more than Hara. There were more food choices including pizza, wings, burgers, steaks etc. The mud was the biggest sore point.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Hi, all you who are interested, join you fellow hams who are reporting issues in the new venue for Dayton Hamvention.  

THERE IS A HUGE, very huge CONVENTION center across the street from the Crowne Hotel in Downtown Dayton.. Plenty of parking.  

I suspect it is $$$  I know a lot of hams are cheap, but isn't it a good thing to bring in more visitors from other countries?  

Cheap,,,,,,,, but to have a nice place is got to be worth a few extra $$.  

PLEASE WRITE THE CONVENTION ADMINISTRATORS

if u need a list, I will send to anyone interested.

Joe, w6vnr  --- Joe Cayman t32ah@earthlink.net

• James Watts
    James Watts Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Howard, lets revisit your statement next year. I think it's a bit premature to exclaim the M6400 is an IC-7610 killer. If market conditions of the IC-7300 are any indication (fastest selling transceiver to reach 10,000 units in history), I believe Icom and the IC-7610 will sell many rigs. Now, depending on what or how you measure "Killer" status, published specs might be better on the FLEX 6400M, but I believe the IC-7610 will sell many many more units than the 6400M at the same price point.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    One of the lame excuses for XENIA was to preserve the Flea Market.. But looking at the pictures of the MUDBATH and the lack of antendees it is pretty obvious that the Flea Market was an abject Failure...
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Interesting one could use these to tune the Short Wave broadcast bands.

Thanks for the reply.
    Tim
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Ria.. Of course, the Ladies Restrooms were not an issue as the distaff side of Ham Radio is a significantly smaller percentage of attendees...

OTOH.. the men were stuck with porta-potties.. albeit better than Hara Sewage Volcanos...

It is unrealistic to expect that an alternative site will gain traction.. The Ham market is small and vendors only have a limited amount of funds to expend on Conventions..

OTOH.. if enough people complain loudly enough change will happen

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Agreed - it is far too early to tell.. but based on Specs and Features the M6400 with 2 VFO knobs, likely better performance, Definitely Better Remote Software, and a lower price should be ultra competitive with the IC-7610

OTOH.. as Wal-Mart (and likely Icom) continue to prove, no one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of their consumers. 

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I drove into the main lot Friday and Saturday. Friday was slow parking, but Saturday went much better taking less than ten minutes to park So many things are different, some better some worse, that I will do a write up later. 73 Steve K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.