Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Pictures of Dayton 2017?

Answers

• Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Looks like direct competition with SDR Sun EXPERT MB1 Rig and ICOM 7610 Rig's

Guess FlexRadio wants to known as a real Radio Company rather than just a High End PC SDR Box company

Great move on FlexRadio part and it's image in the new SDR Transceiver marketplace !

Think it was a smart move by them !
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    If you want a removable screen then get a non M version radio + Maestro
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The M6400. Is the IC-7610 killer with better specs, 2 VFO Knobs, better software and infinitely less klunky remote
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Xenia is a smash hit despite the hiccups. This is a small town. They will have to figure out how to get traffic moving and streamlined. Cooling systems will need to be installed for the spaces. Apart from that? People had smiles on their faces. The restrooms were CLEAN and nice. This is not going to be an expensive hamfest in an expensive convention center. This is everyham's hamfest. And that's totally fine. There is no need to be paying $6 for a soda at Javits in NYC or paying $500 a night for a shoe box size hotel room. They're not going to endure 6 hour flights and the TSA to Vegas or wherever. They're going to drive, they're going to rough it, camp out, and have a good old time with friends. So I do commend DARA for keeping the fest alive and making it thrive. Quite the feat. Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Permanently installed. You can also use a maestro with it.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    imageimageimage
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I lasted all of four hours yesterday. The combination of heat/humidity did me in -- although it felt much hotter than it really was. Inbound traffic was a complete nightmare. Local law enforcement was on top of it and controlling it to the best of their ability but there's a bottleneck from the north and south. I don't think there's a means for controlling it any better other than to build additional lanes. Had a chance to see the new 6400/6600 and discuss it with a few of the FRS folks. All staff were knowledgeable about the product . Fit and finish is of the usual high FRS quality. I can understand the need to integrate the panel with the transceiver - there are so many ops who just cannot wrap their heads around a multi-piece transceiver. That's a shame because they would likely be happier with a Maestro as a detached panel. In the case of the 6600, there's little difference between the price of the 6600M and a 6600/Maestro combination. Why anyone just has to have the panel permantely attached is beyond me. A bit disappointed though with the large cabinet size of the non-M versions and lack of a dedicated Rx loop. The TrsV port may suffice but that creates a tactical problem when using a transverter and the need for external loop filtering/processing. So, the 6700 may still be more agile in this area. Also, most ops will probably prefer to have mic, headphone, and CW key jacks on the front panel. I routinely change these devices and rear panel access can be a hassle. Of course, one could always use a set of "Y" adapters and bring one end out on a pigtail sufficiently long enough to reach the front. The 7th order preselector is a welcome addition in the 6600/6600M and hopefully FRS has an upgrade path planned for existing 6700 owners. Lots of new equipment offerings from other vendors, especially RF amplifiers. Exciting times! Paul, W9AC
  • Cliff Batson  N4CCB
    edited June 2020
    A couple of video clips from the Elecraft Booth @ 10:00am on 5/20/2017 https://youtu.be/dwj6ChxsK8g https://youtu.be/Dqzh9L7MiJw Enjoy. - Cliff (N4CCB)
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thank you! These two videos aren't of the Elecraft Booth, as labeled, they're of the Flex Radio booth. Finally! Somebody took and uploaded some video. Thank you again. (Aside: I've been amazed that with 30K attendees, there have been so little video, or even pictures, uploaded... there's not even much Twitter activity! Attendees all too old to care about these things? Or do I just need to chill and wait for today, Saturday, for this stuff?)
  • Cliff Batson  N4CCB
    edited May 2017
    Yes. Flex Radio. I had a Senior Moment while posting...
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Do any of these units come with video output?
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    This fella has a good twitter feed on Dayton activity
    https://twitter.com/ke9v

• Joe WD5Y
    Joe WD5Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thank you, great videos Joe WD5Y
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Ria for your detailed report Albeit it's depressing to hear that Xenia is a hit From the west coast it's 12 hrs by plane due to the fact that Dayton is not a major airport Driving is 3 days no sleep each way. So flying is only option. Frankly Freidrichshafen is easier to get to
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Agreed, thank you for the videos! That's very helpful to get an idea of size.

K1PGV, completely agree. I'm amazed even the vendors themselves haven't been posting images/video to their social media pages/websites/communities. It doesn't make any sense from any perspective.
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes. You can see there is HDMI out on the specifications page/back panel of the device. I believe it's resolution restricted. Please see the product page for specifics.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    David, marketing has always been their weakest link. Techies try to market their products on speeds and feeds and businesses market their products on benefits.

Many industries, especially technical oriented ones are stacked with dead bodies of those who thought that people would buy their mouse trap just because it was technically superior.

Yes they will capture a small part of the early adopters but never make it past that stage unless they understand marketing.

• David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    N2LEE, understood and agreed completely, I'm in IT, I've seen the pattern before. It just baffles me in the ham radio world, where all the old consumers are moving along, that someone hasn't figured it out yet. Even if it just means a few proud photos of your new creations.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That's why we used to say in the engineering labs... "Engineers make terrible managers and marketeers!"..... We had another good one... "There comes a time in every project where it becomes necessary to shoot the engineer and start production!"
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Both the 6400M and 6600M have HDMI output as shown on the Flex website and as demonstrated on the LED TV above each radio in the video of the Flex booth.
    http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/flex-6600/
    http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/flex-6400/

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I mean SERIOUSLY. Get an iPhone. Install twitter. Snap a couple of pix and tweet them. Even... dare I say it... live steam via Periscope for a few minutes. Or have a video set to go on before Hamvention with one of your guys discussing your new products. We're not asking the overtaxed vendors to do more... we're asking them to capitalize on what they're already doing. Even if we're not at the Cow Sheds (copyright Howard) we're still interested to know what's new. The 21st century awaits!
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The resolution of the external display is the same as for the display on the M models, 1920X1200. From what I was told, the non-M models do not have the option of displaying to an external device  because they require a computer/Maestro/IOS device for the display processing.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    great job, paul. thanks

• Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Does anyone know what those 3 tall knobs and shafts are??
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    On the Tuner Genius...  I was wonderin' the same thing
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Switch to select local or remote adjustment. In local, the other two are to adjust L and C. Regards, Al NN4ZZ
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Cliff, Thanks for the excellent videos. Every bit as good as actually being there! Outstanding job on showing everyone that could not make it there what the new Flex radios actually look like.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    But why are they so tall and sticking straight up, and wuzzup with their physical locations and orientation? Something to do with a lab test sample?
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks for posting the brochures, Mike!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Think it is not the final version. ...Al NN4ZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.