Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600 or 6600M......Here its the DILEMA

YV5WZ
YV5WZ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Ok I'm gonna reserve Flex 6600.....but.......I don't know which one....I guess 6600 would work with maestro. and..I wouldn't have to change my Shack Room ....by other side 6600M would take me far away from windows updates nightmares.....

What do you think?

Best Regards

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Before opt'ing or the 6600M, I'd first make darn sure it has the control abilities to perform all the functions as the Windows driven 6600.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    They all still work with SmartSDR on Windows, so you would still have your nightmares.... but if it were me... I don't want another Maestro, so will probably go for the 6600.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    George, I suppose it depends upon what you plan to do with it in addition to sitting in front of it. Do you need to use DAX? Will you need to link it to your computer for logging? You may still need Windows. But that isn't what determines the need for the M model. That will be determined by your operating style. I have put a deposit on a 6600, figuring that my style of operating works well with the Flex Control Knob and DDUtil macros. Later I will finish my MIDI controller project. It the controller worth another $1000 to you? If so, get it. It is nicely done.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Isn't the Maestro a windows tablet with added controls? How does that free one of Windows nightmares?
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I understood 6600M is free from use with any PC... Did I understand wrong?
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I have taken same path that you did....your MIDI proyect made me curious hahahaha
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I did..... reserved 6600....
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Just to be clear...MY midi project only refers to the particular way I plan to modify it for my particular station... William started it, I jumped in for a while and then got sidetracked, and the recently several others have picked it up, one eve porting a version over to C#, which is what I had hoped to do eventually. So I can claim very little credit for it.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You CAN use it as a stand-alone rig. And it will work well. But most hams will connect to a computer of some sort for logging, digital modes, etc.
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Will the 6600M have the DAX control on the computer or in the rig?

Will the 6600M offer access to all 4 slices when used as a stand-alone rig?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2017

answer to #1 - DAX will be installed & run on the PC where you have the 3rd party software installed.

• James Whiteway
    edited May 2017
    Ken, I am wondering the same thing. The M models will have HDMI outputs on the rear of the radio. I wonder if that is driven by a tablet like the one in the current version of Maestro, or if the new radios will have onboard proccessors for video. Maestro doesn't suffer from Win10 updates like a normal Windows PC can. The version of Windows in Maestro doesn't auto update. FRS controls the update proccess not Microsoft. Of course, FRS could include a Win10 update in their updates that could cause problems. But, I think FRS vets the updates well enough to avoid that as much as possible. James WD5GWY
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    So, if I get the 6600M, can I also choose to operate the radio from a PC, with full blown mouse, using an external monitor connected to the PC or the 6600M, etc, thus enjoying the best of both worlds, or will there be some mixed use limitations?

My plan, at this point, is to roll a 6600M, also use my PC, and also order a Maestro II, so I can stay in touch, whilst sipping my Vente Latte at Starbucks, where there is also a Level 3 charger for my soon-to-arrive Tesla Model 3!

Br,
    Larry
    WA7LZO

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    you can block any windows computer from accessing Windows update by any number of measures, including putting it on a non-internet accessible network, having the computer directly wired to the FlexRadio with a simple cat5e cable, not setting a gateway IP address, etc. The computer you control your flex radio with need never be on the internet.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Initial roll out of 2.0 only supports one client at a time, meaning PC or Maestro, not both at same time.

The multi-client simultaneous operation is on the radar. Not sure what version will ship with the 6400M and 6600M and if the initial roll out will support PC and HDMI at same time.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.