Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Here we go again, again, and again.

Larry , W8LO
Larry , W8LO Member ✭✭
Windows 10 update.... Now DAX will not load.  Looks like the same problem we had a few updates ago.  Anyone else have this after loading Microsoft's "Latest and greatest update"
Probably will need to delete the old drivers and reload new ones.  Anyone know where I can find the directions?  BTW running 6500 with latest software.  

Comments

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I commiserate, Larry. Here is what I have taken to doing. Note-This is not official doctrine, so if you like, the official way is somewhere in the community .

I use Revo uninstaller - you can get it as a free download - free version.
    If you can save your profiles - do. so.

Next uninstall all of the Flex Software. When Revo is finished, use it to scan the computer for leftover files. delete them 

I uninstall FlexVSP as well, and delete any files that show up in the deep scan.

Then I reinstall fresh everything.. 

I haven't had to get rid of any com ports yet.

As noted, this is not official.  - 73 Mike N3LI -

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Not official, but that's exactly the way I do it as well.
  • Larry , W8LO
    Larry , W8LO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Michael, I think I uninstalled everything the last time it happened.  Not complicated, just a P.I.T.A.
    Will talk to "the boys" at hamvention tomorrow and get their input.  I am sure they are busy right now, don't want to bother them.  I can wait...... But not too long. Hi HI  BTW I see here is an uninstall update on Windows update.  Probably won't cure the problem.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Flex help page 
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us

Leads to:
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/sections/200358298-SmartSDR-Win-Troubleshooting

If your only having problems with DaX, I'd try the "How to Manually Re-Install DAX Drivers" link.

When updating I turn off DaX / CaT startup at boot time.  Win 10 latest in use here with all latest patches also. Only had DaX fail at the last major update of Win-10 about a month or so ago.

Good Luck

• Larry , W8LO
    Larry , W8LO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks all.  I knew there was a procedure, but, since I flunked Filing 101, I couldn't find it.

• km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Larry,

I have had thee consecutive Win 10 updates w/ zero issues. Ensure that the DAX and CAT programs are closed prior to updating windows. My PC had already downloaded the Win 10 update but it was not installed yet. As long as I ensured both DAX and CAT programs were closed prior to installing the update , I had zero issues after the update. Hopefully this solves your issue/ frustration.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Remember though, Windows 10 can do mystery reboots on you. As well can change your settings.  Which means that you might get an update at a time you don't want it, and mess things up. I went the first year of W10 with no issues. Then several updates with problems - and not just SSDR and it's associated programs. 

Reminds me of old British sports cars and their Lucas electrics.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    How old is your PC, or in other words, where di it start from, such as did you buy it new loaded with W10?

My experience with PC's uplifted from an OS prior to W10 creates all sorts of weird and painful issues, such as you are experiencing. These days, a guy can buy a nice new well equipped PC for under a grand, a drop in the bucket juxtaposed to the cost of your Flex, and all of your antennas, etc. This way, you can start fresh from scratch, and likely not have so many "issues" arising, including with other apps.

Just my experience, so YMMV, of course.

Br,
    Larry
    WA7LZO

• Jim Brinza
    Jim Brinza Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Just happened today,have not been in shack for a couple weeks. I just rolled back to the last build of 10 ....

and all is good. Could it be that easy???   JIM N9kud
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Are you on enterprise edition W10, Jim, because next time, Windows will update you  to whatever caused the problem. 

Anyhow, It's probably a matter of expectations. I expect my computer and it's programs to work, both when I boot them, and after an update. My Mac and My Linux machines do, I just might have too high of expectations. 8^)
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited May 2017
    Yep just to add further pain on top of the random lock up problem with ssdr my dax driver suddenly became corrupted this last week. W10 on a new pc in recent months as i gave up trying with failed reinstallation of ssdr on my w7 pc. I am now going to take another look at the k3s option for my hf and vhf tvtr contesting as the flex is becoming too painful and unreliable.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'm not having lockup problems with Win 7 and SSDR - BUT
    (No proof for the following thoughts)
    I am seeing a war between Microsoft and OEM browsers - Especially with hang conditions during streaming content.  It works then a change happens and streaming lockups; been going on about as long as the reported FRS hang conditions.  
    Wouldn't surprise me if FRS streaming is being caught as collateral damage.

(Dr. to patient - "Congratulations, you're not paranoid")
  • Jim Brinza
    Jim Brinza Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    After I rolled back I checked for updates manually ..it said I was up to date?????
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I run Win7 Pro with no browsers and the radio has crashed numerous times on 1.10. Each time SSDR was still viable after restarting the radio. FRS has stated that SSDR can not in of itself crash the radio. So far no common threads have been established among the 40+ users reporting this problem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.