Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart Link and a non routeable IP

N6WT Kent
N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
edited November 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
My ISP is a wireless type. I get my internet from a tower about a mile from my house. I am deep behind their firewall. The DCHP IP address I get from them is 192.168.250.****. I have asked them if I could get a static IP address outside of the network, their response was "there is no way".

I am able to use Teamviewer to get into my PC from outside.

My question is will I be able to use Smart Link with this setup??

Thanks
Kent
NC6B

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    It will be interesting to see what can be worked out Kent.

I suspect you could probably still do something over a VPN if you set it up.  But I'm so new to Smart Link I have no idea yet how it will end up working.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You shouldn't need a static IP. There several services that provide dynamic IP DNS resolutions. Many router have the option to configure one and make the updates so if your IP changes it gets updated fairly quickly. Below is one example.

https://www.noip.com/

• N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    This is the only problem I have with living in the middle of nowhere!

I have tried the https://www.noip.com/ it wont work because I dont have a IP address that can be seen outside of my netowrk.

Kent
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

What are you using for a router and does it support port forwarding? Does your router allow you to dedicate DHCP I/P addresses according to the MAC number of the LAN deivices?

Jim, K6QE

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    What IP do you get back with the link below? Unless they are proxing your traffic you
    should have a public IP. The internal IP is not going to be seen but I sure you understand that. If they proxy your traffic then you may not be able to take advantage of the 2.0 release for internet access to your radio. Have you ever tried using the remotehams.com server to share your radio? Who is your ISP that might help understand your options.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Dont laugh (you can laugh if you want) but I am using a very old LinkSys WRT54gl. I need to upgrade soon!

Kent
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Also my ISP WILL NOT do any port forwarding.
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Looks like you might be have a public IP that your internal IP is being NAT'd to but could also be a proxy IP that was returned.

Their services page show a static is possible though you really don't need that just need to get a dynamic IP DNS service working on your router or PC that you can leave up and running.

http://surfnetc.com/iservices.asp

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

@Kent

Far too much speculation here from those who have not used it on how it might work

However.. you have an outside facing IP address.

You need to do Port Forwarding inside your inside Router

which is where you do your port forwarding ...not your ISP

Basically you register your radio via the SmartLink App via the Registration Server provided by Flex

From there it becomes transparent where you are located as the radio can reregister automatically if the IP changes

Currently there are 15+ stations registered on the Dayton Flex account from all over using all sorts of weird connections.. Based on what i have seen and used I do not think you will have any issues.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I agree with Howard. from what I have tested there is a very good chance it will work.  no need to speculate further. 
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thanks! I hope it all works. I will be upgrading to SSDR 2.x even if SmartLink does not work for me.

Kent

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.