Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Bit by the HangBug

Michael Coslo
Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
After the latest Windows update, my radio has started hanging. In addition, WSPR windows do not show up, and after 30 seconds gives a nondescript error message. WSJT almost works, it decodes, but nothing shows up in the right hand window, so I cannot select a station to have a QSO with.

I love this radio, I love SSDR. Windows 10? Not ready for prime time. Seriously this is a Ferrari with bicycle wheels, and is unreliable. Fortunately I have DogPark which has not had one failure yet for me, and Windows 7, which is likewise reliable. But I'd really like to use the radio with my nice new and expensive laptop. 

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Make a copy of Windows 7 to WinToUSB. I use a 256 GB Premimum thumb drive. Plug it into your new laptop and configure the computer to boot on the thumb drive. When you want to use Windows 10, unplug the thumb drive and the computer will see the USB boot device is not there and boot up your main drive. Works great. You have your cake and eat it too.

Jim, K6QE

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I purchased a nice new barebones PC with an Intel Core i7 7th Generation CPU and an M.2 storage drive to put Windows 8.1 with the express purpose of avoiding Windows 10. Windows 8.1 installs just fine and the machine boots up to the login screen in a blazing fast 12 seconds. Windows 7 is not as easy as it does not have native drivers for M.2 (PCIe) flash storage devices.

But Microsoft has, in its burning desire to inflict continuous pain on its customers, a requirement that 7th Gen Core i7 CPUs (and a few others) are for Windows 10 only as they have blocked the update service for older OSes. "Your hardware is not compatible". I will live without the updates, thank you.

The lesson is that if you want to keep your Windows 7 or 8.1 OS alive, be aware of your hardware, and stay away from the latest and greatest CPUs or you might find your dream machine has been pickled.

The only thing keeping me on Windows at all is Quicken, and SmartSDR, Otherwise I'd jump to Linux Mint or some other Linux desktop. I'd drop Quicken if SmartSDR could make the jump with me.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Make a copy of Windows 7 to WinToUSB. I use a 256 GB Premimum thumb drive. Plug it into your new laptop and configure the computer to boot on the thumb drive. When you want to use Windows 10, unplug the thumb drive and the computer will see the USB boot device is not there and boot up your main drive. Works great. You have your cake and eat it too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7QDO7M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/

Jim, K6QE

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'll have to give it a try.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Michael, there must be something else causing all these problems you are seeing.  I am running on Win 10 on an old HP PC as well as SmartSDR, SDR-V2 for a SDR-IQ receiver, WSPR, Logging, etc.  It is so reliable that I run it on my remote station.  As an Alpha Test member, I am routinely installing different versions of SmartSDR without a hiccup.

What are you using for antivirus?  

I could also recommend that you trying AVG PC Tuneup on it.  It is free to try and it actually does work.  I was pretty skeptical about it, but I liked what it did so much, that I have installed it on many computers all with great peformance success.  Just a thought.

The ratio of successful installations to difficult ones like yours are small.  If we had everyone report that their W10 is stable, we would crash the community.  LOL

The quick fix does sound like replacing the hard drive and do a fresh install and rebuild.  While a PITA, it will likely give you great stability down the road.  

Also, you want to make sure you are fully patch so you are not exposed to Ransomware.  

Mike va3mw

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The W10 machine is using Windows defender and Malicious software removal tool. It gets used exclusively for SSDR, and digital comm programs, no email, and browser access only to download relevant programs. So it's flex radio systems, SourceForge for fldigi, and Princeton for the WS programs.  Adblockers, Ghostery,  and noscript intstalled. I need a bit of protection from SourceForge.

I access the community via my Mac.

I think that what happens to machines is based on a couple factors. The specific hardware and drivers, and the part of the update cycle we are in. So after I had the issue,  I revo'd the uninstall of all of the programs including DAX CAT, and FlexVSP, did the same with WSPR-X and WSJT-X.

On reinstall, everything is working FB for SSDR and WSJT - still having an issue with WSPR waterfall showing up. Been running WSJT now for several hours, and looking pretty good.

I'll probably stop DAX and SmartCat from opening on boot and see what happens, but for the moment, it's working.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.