Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

exciting new feature v2.0.8.24 - experimental for now

John
John Member ✭✭
Darrin strikes again with a signal detection system which is currently experimental. It looks promising and will be a major step up. Thanks Darrin your work is much appreciated and we are all in awe. We need to show our appreciating with donations via his website, because  he is really adding value and features to this software.

Comments

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Who is Darrin and what website?

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    KE9NS
  • Alan WA4SCA
    Alan WA4SCA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
  • Kuby, N6JSX
    Kuby, N6JSX Member
    edited April 2020
    No doubt Darrin has done some great things and IS single handedly keeping PwrSDR afloat for Flex. But what version has made the NR/ANL/NB usable? In all the improvements/revisions made I've not seen any improved NR/ANL/NB functions.
    What would be cool is a DSP meter showing how NR/ANL/NB changes affect the signal to help us optimize beyond using our only our ears.
    OR maybe a new option for the NR/ANL functions is needed that includes control of the RF/AF gain controls with NR/ANL for optimal DSP. Both of these would be really great.

My Flex5000 sits unused since my IC-9100 NR-DSP works far far better.  Soon ICOM/Yaesu will get there head unstuck and incorporate a a radio-to-PC USB plug-n-play Panadapter & Waterfall display minimizing Flex's edge.

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    well, he has allowed us to change the settings of these filters, but depending who owns what code, he may not be able to make further changes. Lets wait and see what Darrin comes up with. Rome was not built in a day they say...hi

John
  • Don K2PMC
    Don K2PMC Member
    edited April 2017
    I've had a Flex 5000 since 2012. Nice radio. And Darrin has done a great job adding enhancements to PowerSDR. Two months ago I added a Yaesu FTDX-5000 to the shack and teamed it up with LP-PAN2/NaP3. My only regret is that I didn't do this in 2012.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    How about Darrin coming over to the SSDR side and put get his mojo on!
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    that's the dark side isn't it ?
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Has the NaP3 source been picked up by a new dev? I used to use it with my KX-3 until the author threw a temper tantrum. Whatever sent him off the deep end it was a shame too, he was a talented coder and did a great job with it...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I think Flex has hired someone lately like Darrin to work on many features in SSDR
    .... Member
    edited April 2017
    Darrin is much, much more than the GUI person Flex has hired.
  • Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    What is a signal detection system, what does it do?

Joe  N9VX
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited June 2020
    Seriously, whenever I see what Darrin is doing, I nearly wet myself!

This's what I want SSDR to be - feature rich, a joy to use, and a real aid to the operator.

So I got to wondering if any of the API guys could work on a kind of PSDR to SSDR interface using purely API calls....the idea to allow the PSDR GUI front-end to act solely as the presentation layer for the SSDR backend?

I know this is not likely and there must be lots of hurdles, but worth consideration from those that know?   If not, I'll just carry on dreaming of the utopia that is now being lost in the "NEW" technology.

73 de Steve G1XOW
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    When Darrin does the write up after his experimentation and its finished, then all will be revealed. Meanwhile keep drooling.

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This would be great in SmmartSDR.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    It seems that a few years ago I tried using PSDR to read a DAX IQ Channel from my 6500 just for thrills and to see if I could bodge together a pair of extra slices.

It has been so long ago that I don't even remember if I was able to get it to work!

It would have been receive only, with no transmit, and limited to the frequency range of the particular DAX IQ channel that was open.  

I may try it again with Darrin's latest release...after this weekend is over....

Ken - NM9P
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I wonder why some software writers use dax and not virtual com ports. It would make life a lot easier for everyone if they standardized
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Dax and virtual com ports are different animals. DAX is an audio transfer/linking application. Virtual com ports are virtual data communications/serial ports. (Unless you are talking about Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) which is a third party virtual audio transfer protocol, similar to DAX, but specifically designed for the Flex-6000 series.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    What I really wanted to know is if one can switch between them. For example cw skimmer used vc but fldigi does not. How would one switch and its just madness imo. I,ve got vac install ( full version ), but hate the switching part as one has to go into the realtek audio control panel and try and change over.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Which rig are you using?  If you are using a 6000 series, then you will use DAX IQ for Skimmer.  You will use a DAX RX Audio for FLDigi, MMTTY, and most other "sound card" type programs.  Most of teh programs will ALSO need a CAT COM port to handle data transfer and PTT switching functions.  You won't need the third party VAC program at all for the 6000 series.  DAX takes the place of VAC, and CAT takes the place of com0com or VSPManager.

If you are using a 1500/3000/5000 then you will need both VAC and com0com, or VAC and DSPManager to handle audio and data transfer to the rig.

I used to own a 1500 along with my 6500 and kept all of those programs in my computer.  I just used the VAC for the 1500 and I use DAX for the 6500.

Once you get used to the difference, it isn't a big deal.  DAX and CAT are generally superior to the others used for the 5000.  

No need to go into the Realtek control panel to switch between DAX and VAC.  You just define them in your digital programs where you select the input and output "soundcard" you will use.  In fact, for the 6000 it is better usually to leave the Windows sound mixers out of things, because they mess things up. 
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I use the 3000 and 1500 and any software with vc runs, but nothing with dax . I will check if my com0com is running as I have not seen in on the task bar when I check a few minutes ago.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Can Darrin KE9NS work on SmartSDR? If he can do half of what he has done with powerSDR and bring some of the features over to SmartSDR.
    THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Darrin says he doesn't really understand the NB code. How about a volunteer to help him? It is open source after all.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    See above.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Darrin's latest addition is the combo meter, which I really like but he has sizing issues ( for those who use a reduced console size ) to worry about and the whole console may need to be re-worked. I prefer the combo meter having played with it and its a nice touch Darrin.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited August 2017
    I never really liked SSDR so I sold my 6300 and got a 1500 and an amp. unfortunately,
    PSDR has an odd quirk that the 17  band does not go quite high enough on the TX side..but I still prefer it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.