Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

N1MM SO2R/SO2V Setup - Flex 6300

Rob Fissel
Rob Fissel Member
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I cannot seem to get N1MM+ working in SO2V mode with my Flex 6300. I believe I've tried all suggestions found via the search function in the community here. I can get things up and working just fine in SO2R (even though I'm using it as a SO2V function), but N1MM will not allow both slices to be in the same band at the same time, which is a deal breaker for me. 

I've tried individual CAT ports for each slice. 
I've also tried selecting Split Mode as SO2V in SSDR CAT - no joy in N1MM

I'm using the latest N1MM available as of today, and SSDR 1.9.13. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Answers

• Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited June 2020
    Found this buried in a RTTY contesting post on the forum from Chris, N6WM:
    This is known and well documented.  Use SO2R mode.  open 2 pan adapters and set them for 20M from SMART SDR.  then open N1MM in SO2R and both instances will be on 20.  you have to do the band changes in Smart SDR and not from N1MM because N1MM has a lockout to prevent legacy SO2R setups that are 2 separate pieces of hardware from blowing one anothers front end.  you have to manually over ride by doing the band change from SSDR. Direct N1MM frequency entry will not work and is working as designed.
    Manually selecting the same band from within SSDR will allow you to have both VFO's in SO2R in the same band. So, problem solved, sorta...

I still can't get SO2R to work for me at all....
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Many of the big gun contesters call it "Enhanced SO2V" Mode.  

Of course, without separate RX & TX antennas, you will not be able to get true full duplex SO2R, but it is fun having two panadapters, two slices, and two entry forms open on either the same band, or two separate bands.  

If you have Telnet/DX spotting running, you can see the multipliers on the band maps of two bands at the same time.  

<CTRL> + RT Arrow / LT Arrow lets you shift your active slice and TX assignment automatically.

The "~" key (Upper left-hand key) determines whether you have one slice in each ear, or the active slice in both ears with the inactive slice muted.

Here are some common problems that many (I mean ME) have had trying to get their SO2R Running.

1) Having "Auto-Switch" active in one or the other CAT Port definition for either slice A or B.  This will mess things up.  in SO2R/V mode, you need to rely on the OTSRP port to do the TX Slice switching.

2) Incorrectly defining the OTSRP port.  or getting the COM port numbers confused when configuring N1MM+.

3) Not configuring the Radio 1, Radio 2 & OTRSP ports in N1MM+'s Configuration tab.  I have three ports set up for this and use Ports 30, 31, & 32 only when I am running SO2R/V Mode with N1MM so it doesn't get messed up.  If you are running CW, you may also want to set up a Winkeyer Emulation CAT port and config that in the N1MM+ Configurator tab as well.

4) Configuration errors in the Voice Keyer or CW memory files.

5) Forgetting to have N1MM save the windows layout.

6) Forgetting to open up a second entry window and bandmap in N1MM+.

7) Failing to right-click in the bandmap window and select "restart radios"  after a major config change.

8) Sometimes you need to close N1MM and restart it after some major configuration changes.

Band changes to bands other than one already in use by the other slice have worked properly for me.  You just cant select a band or frequency initially in a band already in use.  Once selected, however, clicking on the band map, or advancing to a new frequency via the <CTRL> + UP arrow / DN Arrow works properly.

I am working from memory, because I am in the office.  But I hope some of this helps.

If it doesn't, can you tell us what exactly you are trying to do and what isn't working?

Good Luck,

Ken - NM9P
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    We need to investigate this.. if SSDR cat is set to so2v mode on the port instance being used and SO2V isnt working its a problem.. thats why the option was put in there.  I will look into this.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    We may just need another setup doc for SO2V but I want to verify core functionality first.. but at work right now so it will go on my todo list

• Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the update, Chris. Another setup doc would be helpful. For now, I'm set up as SO2R just to gain the functionality of SO2V. There are a few downsides to this, as well as risks. Native SO2V would be great. Perhaps I'm missing a key component in the setup of SO2V in N1MM, hence the need for an updated setup doc. I appreciate the help. 
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks, Ken. I have no issues getting N1MM to work, configured as SO2R, with SSDR and the 6300 - and this is the option I've turned to because I cannot get SO2V to work. I'd prefer to do native SO2V, as SO2R incorporates functions I don't need/want, or could potential cause issues. I'm pretty comfortable with N1MM, and very comfortable setting things up like this, so I don't believe I'm missing anything here when it comes to setting up SO2V correctly - it's just not playing nice with SSDR CAT. Hope that makes sense. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    No problem Ill see what I can do as soon as I can..  This workflow is supposed to function.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    OK Rob.  I misread your post as SO2R, not SO2V....

I jumped from "standard" to SO2R mode, skipping over SO2V in favor of the "Enhanced SO2V" that SO2R mode offers.  So I am not fully up to speed at to the differences in SO2V as it is supposed to operate.  Earlier V.1.6 apparently didn't function correctly with N1MM+ in SO2V mode when I started experimenting with more elaborate setups in N1MM+

Good luck...
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm assuming that there's no need for OTRSP for SO2V, correct?
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks, Ken. Looking forward to hopefully working you this weekend during WPX.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I regret that I must be out of town during this weekend's contest!  
    Bummer!  I was hoping to compete in this one!
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Need a volunteer, or more than one to help me out on this.  I am not an SO2V user I am SO1V or full SO2R and any single band SO2V work I do is using the OTRSP functionality.  I need someone who is fluent in the workflow for SO2V to test that workflow using a SSDR cat port in SO2V mode.  test workflow and report what works, and if its the case what doesnt.  I can then provide feedback for future adjustments to be made by the programming team as time allows.
  • Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I usually just run in SO2R mode and force both windows on the same band using SmartSDR or on the Maestro, but... I was able to do some limited testing quickly in SO2V mode, and it seems there are a few issues:

1) If slice B doesn't already exist when N1MM+ starts, N1MM+ will not find it. If you create Slice-B from SmartSDR, N1MM+ won't notice it. If you attempt to change bands/frequencies/call CQ from N1MM+, it will create a slice C. If only slice A exists, N1MM+ will create slice B, or if slice B already exists when N1MM+ starts, it will use it.

2) The backtick ''' key doesn't switch into stereo mode, as works in SO2R mode

3) Something appears to be fundamentally wrong with Control+Left/Control+Right as it is muting the 'VFO B' slice when that window is in focus and unmuting it when the 'VFO A' window is in focus. The slice for 'VFO-A' appears never to be muted in either case.

W9KKN/Bill
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    excellent feedback..  I will wait for a reply or 2 more and then I guess I will try and fundamentally understand the workflow for the benefit of folks who use it as I admittedly have never used this as part of my workflow and the "enhanced SO2V" OTRSP workflow seems more powerful to me, but understand folks that have mastered a particular workflow would want it to work and our intent was to get us there. I will  see if we can nail down the specific functionality that is broken to get it on the future repair list.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Bill can I ask if those functions worked in SO2V for you on a different platform?
  • Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    TBH I haven't put N1MM+ SO2V through its paces on any other platform, so it could be generically broken (doubt it, though.) When it gets a bit closer to field day I will have some K3's to play with. I don't currently have any other SO2V-capable radios to try.
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited April 2017
    I have been using so2r mode for a while now (6 months plus) and whilst it works there are either some bugs still or I have gone wrong with n1mm+ set up somewhere. Main issue I have with so2r and otrsp is that randomly whilst cq on run freq the focus changes from a to b in n1mm+ of its own accord, thus muting my run slice a. I was doing a fast and furious 80m domestic hour long contest this evening on 80m and was watching it mid cq moving focus from a run to b slice window even though my hand was not touching the mouse or flex knob. Have not found time to play outside of contests (I do a lot!) to fathom what is going on.

I always used to use so2v with n1mm and n1mm+ with ft1000d or ic756pro3 or kenwood 590s radios and got them all to work ok with so2v. As I don't have sufficient antenna separation or any bandpass filters at present to do fdx (and only one scu with 6300) I will try to find some time to try out the latest so2v to see if it works ok - will report back on this thread.
    Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Steve there are a number of us who have been using the OTRSP SO2R without a spontaneous focus change.  We should review your N1MM setup to check for the cause of that anomaly vs expected OTRSP behavior. 
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited April 2017
    Noted Chris, yes probably something in my set up. Is there an up to date guide on the setup on n1mm site or here - or still the same so2r guide on here? I clearly need to spend some time re checking my set up against a guide. Have spent the last couple of weeks testing a new antenna genius 2x8 lan switch in the shack prior to locating it in the cable entrance cupboard - now that's fully tested and following my 6300 band changes on ant a and b sockets with hf and 6m amps on each, next priority will be another look at the n1mm+ and cat set up.
    Cheers, Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    RR make sure you disable the autoswitch in the SSDR cat settings...  that can be a gotcha

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.