Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CARrier control on Flex-6300

Gust2
Gust2 Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi everyone,
I'm playing with my 6300 only since a few weeks and like it a lot. There's 1 item however that makes we wondering.

The Flex-6300 goes up to 95 Watt out on some bands but only to 85-90 on some others. Isn't there a button or slider somewhere to make sure the finals can produce the 100 Watt out they are supposed to?
I found nothing in the documentation. We OT's are used to having a carrier button on our transceivers.

73, good DX
Gust ON6KE

Answers

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Gust,

You might need to give 14.5 - 14.8v PSU input to get 100W out on all bands. There is a big volt drop on the power cable, connectors and internal fuses (even with the standard factory cable).

Also, check 100% power out can be achieved in to a good dummy load, using a quality external power meter...just to make sure you don't have antenna problem as the F6k high SWR back-off is a little too sensitive in my opinion.

73 de Steve G1XOW
  • Gust2
    Gust2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Steve,
    I hooked the 6300 to a 1kW wet dummy load, with and without the ATU in the circuit, I makes no difference power wise on any of the bands.

Next I measured the input Voltage before (13.70 V) and after (13.58 V) the fuse. That is a significant difference coming from an of course stabilised 13.8V source.

I can raise voltage to 14.5V or slightly higher but won't give it a try just now, got a lot hooked up to that power supply now. That extra half a Volt might very well make it a full 100 Watt transceiver.  :-)

Cheers
    Gust ON6KE

• Gust2
    Gust2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I forgot, so I understand there's is no such thing as a CARrier control on the 6300. Of course you don't need it if the end stages are sufficiently broad-banded impedance wise.

PS
    They take just about everything away from you these SDR's..

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gust,

There is another fuse internally as well. This means that when you add the series drop of the power-pole connectors, the cable, the external fuse, and internal fuse 13.8v only results in about 13.1-13.2V at the PA. You could also shorten the factory cable but that really should not have been necessary.

I run my PSU at 15Vdc (output at the PSU terminals) and all is fine for over 2 years now. The fan does get a little louder though.

73 de Steve G1XOW
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Just so there is no confusion SmartSDR does have sliders for RF power, Tune power, and AM carrier levels.
  • Gust2
    Gust2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes that I know Ross.

Thanks
    73, good DX (in these difficult miserable conditions lately)

Gust ON6KE
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Gust -

Your question comes up repeatedly for Flex and other manufacturers’ radios (I’ve seen it in Icom’s and ANAN’s FAQs).   

Check out this thread, and Flex’s official reply:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6500-power

Howard

• Gust2
    Gust2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thank you very much Howard, your input is much appreciated.
    Interesting URL.

73, good DX
    Gust ON6KE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.