Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to interface 6700 to Alpha 87A

WA5YOM
WA5YOM Member ✭✭
I am looking for advice on interfacing my Alpha 87A to the Flex 6700..Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Tim
wa5yom

Answers

• Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Tim,

It depends on what you mean by interfacing.

The simple answer is to connect the 6700 output (either antenna A or B) to the 87a and also one of the key line jacks to the relay input on the 87a.  Since the 87a is auto tune, it with count the frequency of the output of the radio and change bands accordingly.  It just takes one dit.

If you want to automatically make the 87a change bands following the 6700 you can use a USB to serial converter and connect the USB port on the back of the 6700 to the serial port on the 87a.  I don't do that simply because the autotune is good enough for me.

73...   Bill K3WA
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I believe DDUtil supports the 87A also and you can use AutoDrive to ensure you do not overdrive the amp Dave wo2x
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    I use my 6700 with the 9500 but I use the 4o3a antenna Genius along with the 4o3a 1A2R switch so no matter what band or slice I use the 6700 is connected to the proper antenna and the Alpha is switched into that port on the 6700 automatically... this way I work SO2R with one amp. On any bands
  • Ray G3XLG
    Ray G3XLG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

That looks interesting, but I didn't see any manual or documentation for the 1A2R switch on the 4O3A website. Do you have any please?

Ray G3XLG

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited March 2017
    It's on the web site look under diagrams or email 4o3a I think that is where I got it
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yes, DDUtil V3 supports the 6x00 and the Alpha 87A.  I have been using my 6500 and 87A for several years with the latest DDUtil with GREAT success.  DDUtil supports the RS232 communications and reduced drive levels for each band....  Let me know if you have any other questions on getting yours to work.
  • HFguy
    HFguy Member
    The issue that I see for remote operation is that you need to turn on and off the amp, and maybe put it in standby mode when needed. Is that covered by DDUtil V3? I am currently thinking of swapping my ANAN 200d for a 6500 so I can use it remotely, with amp of course!
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

@HFguy , what amp do you have? Here is a shot of my DDUtil setup screen showing supported amps and tuners:

I can control my KAT 500 tuner and my KPA 500 amp as well as powering them on and off using this utility. If you have an amp shown on the screen shot above, then you would need to try this out to see if power on/off or other control is supported.

• HFguy
    HFguy Member
    Alpha 87A. I assume that this is a Windows program. My plan is to use the Flex remotely using my iPad/iPhone. I currently use Zoiper to control it via Allstar using a custom script, but it is not GUI-based and feedback that it is working comes from a webcam pointed at the amp. You can see why I want to simplify!
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭

The DDUtil program runs on a PC/W10 so you will need to have a PC at the radio and one at the remote site to use DDUtil to control the amp. And, yes, DDUtil will turn on/off and put amp into standby/operate remotely. Several of my friends do remote using the iPad to talk with the 6500 and the PC to talk to their amps...

If you are running V3 software on your 6500 you will need to run DDUtil V4 software.

Dennis, k0eoo

• Thank you I just purchased a 6600m and have an 87a, I’d love a flex amp but wasn’t in the budget at this point. I have had great luck with the 87a over the years. Love the swindle this will help me for sure when I get the FLEX.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.