Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Stop Windows 10 updates!

Bob - W7KWS -
Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
For those of you having trouble with Windows 10 updates, you can stop them. I did this months ago. I rolled my PC back to build 1531 as a result of the Anniversary Update disaster. It's been there ever since. Look here. It's an official Microsoft site: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...

Comments

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
  • spopiela
    spopiela Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Isn't it better to investigate and spend some time on solving update issues rather than disabling updates.? The time, effort and money spent now will probably be a better investment than delaying it. Security updates and hardware interface will only be introduced in Windows 10. Updates. Windows 10 works. Just my opinion Stan N1THL
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I really cringe at the thought of completely stopping updates. I've only once had a problem with them and I run a lot of the flex alpha versions as well.
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    No update related issues with W10 on the 3 computers here.  Patches for security holes are a good reason to stay current.  User issues? Ya betcha.....easy for me. 
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    if you don't like updates, youre really gonna hate Windows going forward. Because regular updates keeping the OS up to date and secure ARE the future for Windows. After the next big upgrade (Redstone 2) it'll be easier to delay updates for a while. MY problem with updates come from the fact that my radio computer isn't on 24x7. If I don't play radio for a few weeks, as soon as I turn my radio computer on, I get pounded with updates... which is not a good thing. But updates are a way of life. Peter K1PGV
  • spopiela
    spopiela Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I encourage my local HAMs that are using older computers that potentially have BIOS or other hardware issues that come into play during windows updates, to just get a new machine. Windows hardware is inexpensive compared to what we pay for HAM radio gear. It turns out the computer is a major piece of our HAM radio experience.The new machines are just better and make HAM radio easier and trouble free. I don't know specific issues that people are having but I would never advocate disabling upgrades or updates. 73s Stan N1THL
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Regarding security, I'm notified by the Group Policy notification and allow security updates to proceed. I don't allow build 1607 to update this one PC only.

The Anniversary update, Build 1607, presented a characteristic that impacted HDSDR only, nothing to do with Flex or anything else that I know of. After hours of troubleshooting, it was nothing that I could solve. I was in contact with Mario Taeubel, the fellow who maintains HDSDR but he was unable to duplicate my problem. I suspect that it's probably display driver related. I updated the driver but that didn't help at the time.

When accessing the PC with Remote Desktop, Windows sees the connection as a new display adapter. This impacted HDSDR in such a manner as to corrupt its waterfall requiring a restart of HDSDR every time I connected or disconnected. Windows 10, build 1531 didn't exhibit this issue.

A paper by Microsoft recommends limiting updates using Group Policy settings for just this problem of software incompatibility in enterprises. If I can find the link to this pdf again I'll post it in this thread.

When the next major Windows build or a new display driver comes along I'll try it & hopefully determine their compatibility with my needs. Then I may determine the culpret. For now everything works well & security isn't likely compromised.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Carefully evaluating updates like you do is not bad. Stopping them completely because "it just works" without the updates is what I have a problem with. Before Microsoft issued regular patches we would have worms galore that would infect windows machines and just propagate worldwide. We've come a long way in security and OS patches are an important part of it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.