Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Newly loaded Windows 10 not connecting with Flex 6500

Lee - N5LN
Lee - N5LN Member ✭✭
My Windows 7 crashed. A teck guy said the hard drive had re-formatted and nothing could be read or recovered. He reloaded Windows 10. I downloaded the current v 1.10.1 and now DAX and SMARTSDR say "Radio Not Connected"  My 6500 loads up fast.  Just not communicating with Dell Inspiron.    Any suggestions and fixes appreciated: N5LN

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Have you tried connecting to your router to verify the drivers for your Ethernet card is working?
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited June 2020
    As this is a new installation on a new OS load I would start by checking the Windows firewall. Make sure inbound and outbound connections are permitted on the network your radio is hooked to. If your computer is not on the Internet a quick check is to disable the firewall.

Control PanelSystem and SecurityWindows FirewallAllowed apps

I permit all the Flex stuff on both the private and public side.

• Lee - N5LN
    Lee - N5LN Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for your advice.  When the Windows 10 was installed, the computer tech also installed AVAST Virus software.   AVAST assumed the Firewall duties and sure enough, all FLEX programs were blocked.   I unblocked them and now all is well.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 
    PS:  I've been a Ham a long time.  I can fix my old KWM-2A.  I'm real handy with tubes.  I'm about as out of date as possible when it comes to logic and computers. 
    73's, OM
    Lee,   N5LN
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2017
    Real glad that worked Oscar and I know where you're coming from. The first computer I worked on was a Sperry Univac 9200 and I still don't know why we got away from paper tape.

I wouldn't have known to check the firewall if it weren't for someone helping me through the same problem.

Enjoy!

Kev, K4VD
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    >Real glad that worked Oscar and I know where you're coming from. >The first computer I worked on was a Sperry Univac 9200 and I still >don't know why we got away from paper tape. Wait! You used paper tape, and you don't know why we got away from it? Paper tape was evil. Peter K1PGV
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2017
    You could tape a broken paper tape spool back together. You could even edit the tape by reading the code on it and cutting out the offending piece.

Then there was all the paper chaff and dust to clean out of all the other equipment in the radio room. Oh, and the paper cuts that almost required stitches when the reader pulled the tape through your fingers. And then don't get me started on Hollerith row punches or tach rods in multi-head drives during an emergency retract.

Computers used to be dangerous! Ya, you're right. Paper tape was evil.

Kev

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Did you ever use Drum memory?

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Absolutely. On an IBM 360/75 when I was in school. Fast as ****, but super low capacity. Unlike paper tape which was slow as ****, and super low capacity. I liked punch cards. Handy for running small jobs. I miss them for note taking. I was thinking of having so,e printed just for nostalgia purposes. Peter K1PGV
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2017
    I worked on the Bunker Ramo (Trident?) style multi-platter drives. I mentioned "tach rods" above because of an incident I once had when aligning the heads of one of these drives. The OPS guy crashed the heads on a disk and then, just in case the screeching was coming from the disk and not the heads proceeded to try two other disks. It was a mess. Then to add injury to insult, I'm following along step by step to align the new heads I just installed. Well step by missed-step. I pushed the head block out onto the platter and, because I forgot to remove power to the voice coil, it did an immediate emergency retract. Not only did it rip off a chunk of finger but it shot the voice coil tach rod out the center of the unit, between my legs as I was bent over the unit and through the back of a cabinet which was part of the Honeywell main frame.

It was not my best day. Fortunately though, it was not my last day. I think I was promoted to a supervisor shortly after that just to keep me from hurting myself. Or others.

The good ole days.

Kev

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Some people miss the good old days. Me, I do not. Sorry, but give me my Dell OPTIPLEX 3 GHz dual quad with 4 gigabytes of memory hihi
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Anyone remember programming with patch panels?
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    OK. No. Definitely before my time. Were you limited to some number of steps. Equal to the number of panels?. Or, how did it work? K1PGV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.