Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Adaptive predistortion, enhanced noise reduction, diversity/phased antenna noise reduction, other en

David Orman
David Orman Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I've searched the forum and primarily found older threads which indicated improvements would be coming in these areas, but I do not see where the changes have actually been implemented. I'm curious if the following will be available (currently exist in the community PSDR mrx)?: 1) Something like Pure Signal (adaptive pre-distortion) 2) Something like NR2 (truly, this is impressively effective) 3) Phasing control on 6700 with two antennas active to null out noise or peak signals I like the more modern SmartSDR, so am curious if these are implemented or will be implemented before I make a purchasing decision on radios. I read through the most current operating manual on the FRS website and it did not appear these existed.

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi David, These features have not been implemented but are somewhere on the roadmap we've been told. Tim or one of the flex folks can elaborate further but I suspect you'll get the same answer since they will not speculate on release dates. APD (puresignal) seems like it will be here sooner rather than later because of the power genius XL having capability for it. The others we don't know. I know diversity rx has been requested for a long time now along with the enhanced noise reduction.
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hopefully APD will function barefoot, as well. I hope the other features are put in place soon as it seems to be a common complaint with these radios, and one of the few remaining things I'd like to see before jumping on the bandwagon. The Anan radios are competitive with Flex due to the lower pricing but more so their ability in these regards. If Flex would match or better this, the price difference would be justified with the polish and support available through FRS. Thank you for your response!
  • Mike_WB8CXO
    Mike_WB8CXO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I recall Steve Hicks told us at a Flex Banquet a few years back that the 6000 series hardware was designed to support ADP.  I agree with Ria, someone from Flex will verify.
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    That's good news. Hopefully it along with significantly improved NR on par with PSDR NR2 and the diversity phase noise cancellation are due out soon. Thank you for the info!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2018
    Yes, ADP, true diversity reception and improvements to the noise mitigation features are all in the enhancement database.  But as Ria pointed out, we don't speculate on when the feature will be available or the details on how features are implemented until their release is imminent.
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    At least we now know they are not being released imminently. ;) Thank you for the update and I hope these things make it up the priority list and we see them sooner rather than later, I hope to own a Flex in the future. Keep up the good work, and have a nice day!
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Looks like diversity reception is now becoming available, great news! Any update on noise reduction? This is one area (not many left) other companies have a leg up, but it is quite an important one especially now with the solar minimum approaching and signals being hard to pick out from the noise. Implement something as good as or better than the Apache Labs/associated OSS devs and you'd really have a knock out product.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, I have to agree.  The phasing that the Apache labs has is one thing I love about that radio and FRS needs to get on board with that feature.  Its been asked for a number of times over the past few years.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.