Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

1.10.8 problems updating, first impressions

2»

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    A few details seem to be missing here, nevertheless this is how I have mine setup.

Flex to SPE
    Ant 1 to Input 1
    Ant 2 to Input 2

USB A to Cat A
    USB B to CAT B

RCA TX1 to RY1
    RXA TX2 to RY2
    ALC not connected (not needed)

USB control cable from SPE to windows PC (this is just to control the amp if I need to)

Example of how I have each USB cable configured in SmartSDR:

I also set up two TX profiles, one enabling relay 1 and another enabling relay 2, adding whatever delays you need. I call them SO2R TX1 and SO2R TX2. They are assigned to each panadapter. 

And then the rest of setup in N1MM+ per the K9CT/Flex document.

Hope this helps. :)

Ria

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Thanks Ria. I think I have all the connections set up correctly. It may be just my bad on setting up the two TX profiles. I will also add a delay as well and see if that helps.

I find it odd that setting power levels on the SPE makes absolutely no difference on the drive level at any of the three power settings.

Tim

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It probably is, so it's going through the wrong antenna input. That could be bad as it is transmitting through the SO2R port. 

Do you have the USA version of the amp? 
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Yes, the USA version (although I ordered from the US dealer I should confirm it is not an export version).. The amp works fine using DDutil and setting CAT for Kenwood. I will keep playing with it. Unfortunately my operating time and time to play radio lately has been limited to sporadic weekends.

Thanks for your help. Will let you know how I make out.

Tim

• Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ria, What antenna is connected to the SO2R port? How is it isolated from the Tx antennae?
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

I am not using the SO2R port, but rather Ant 1 and 2. I have the 4O3A tri-plexer and bandpass filters.

Tim VE6SH

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ok. Well I thought I could use ANT 2 for SO2R. I gather not and one has to use the SO2R port for the second slice.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have either a multiband vertical or a dipole connected to the SO2R port, through a switch. I believe for the SO2R capability you must use the SO2R port. I have one 5B4AGN filter set in use, and I'm building another. It works well enough to pick off mults. Probably not as good for dual CQing.

You can also assign TX antennas per input. For example, on Input 1 on 20m, you can assign output 1 and on input 2 you can assign output 4 for example. 

They are coming out with the "full" SO2R switch unit soon where it will be more or less like having two amps with two inputs and outputs. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Tim, ANT1 and ANT2 will always be your inputs. Think of the SO2R port as a RX antenna port which is on the inactive radio. So if you are transmitting through ANT1, the other radio will be switched to receive from the SO2R port. That is why they recommend a multiband antenna for that. Hope I've made sense. 
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Ria. I must admit i am struggling to find how to assign TX antennas to each input. Could you point me to where I would find that? I thought I could assign input1 to Antenna 1 and input 2 to antenna 2, but when I try to do make the changes when I am on the input 2 setting the antenna output changes also are made for input 1. Tnx Tim
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The other issue is the SPE does not change the input selection when I change Slices. I have Slice A on Flex antenna 1 (going to input 1 on the SPE) and Slice on Flex antenna 2 (going to input 2 on the SPE). The SPE does not follow when I change TX focus from Slice A to B. Tim
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    There is no way for the amp to know you changed focus. You have to key up (PTT) even momentarily for that to happen. 

As for making the changes for Ant 1 vs ant 2, switch to ant 1, assign the antenna ports. Save. Switch to Ant 2, make the changes. Save. It will work that way. 
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Got it. Thank you for your help. I will try to set the antennas again. Tim
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Btw I may have confused you a little. What you need to do in setup is enable the antennas for that band. For example if 1 and 4 can work on 20, enable both on 20. Save. Switch to input 1, select the antenna you want to use. Switch to input 2, select antenna. Switch back to 1 and it will be the other antenna you selected, switch back to 2, same thing. Pretty versatile and not bad for builtin capability.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Ria

Thank you much for your help. I got it worked out and the SPE works well in SO2R. Had some fun in the contest!

Tim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.