Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Feature Request: Lock two slices together

EA4GLI
EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in New Ideas
I've been using the Flex radio with the DEMI gear and successfully worked SATs.
Being able to see all the stations on the downlink is spectacular. 

I am trying different software packages as well as FlexSATPC by David W0DHB.
With the Maestro I can lock two different slices together and move them with one of the knobs.

I would love to be able to Link two Slices together so I can move them with the Flex Knob or with the mouse at the same time. Ideally I should be able to link them to move on the same direction or in opposite direction.

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Salvador,
    Here is another idea that sounds like it may be related.   The idea was to link 2 slices so that you could have one wide panadapter view to monitor the whole band and one narrow one for the station you are working.  The idea would support "click tune" as well as tuning with the FlexControl or mouse.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/****_slices_idea_to_synch_up_2_slices

What do you think, would this do what you need?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com  
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Well, not exactly. The idea is to be able to move 2 slices with one Flex control, in one single motion. Ideally, I could choose if the slices move in the same direction or opposite directions.

When working SATs you have to compensate for doppler effect. Currently I leave the TX frequency pretty much at a set frequency and I move the RX slice. With Full Duplex, the 6700 and all the DEMI gear I can hear myself on the down link and it is fairly easy to compensate. I use the Flex control and a very small step to give me a lot of control. But I do miss the possibility to SYNC or LOCK the slices like you can do on the Maestro. However, in the Maestro both slices move in the same direction, this feature request will also include the possibility of inverting the direction on one of the locked slices.

It will allow me to work SATs without having a software program do the frequency correction.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Locking two slices together for satellite work has been suggested before.  Hopefully FRS eventually decides to implement this feature, ideally with both positive and negative going tracking.   Not having this feature is the  only reason I continue to hang onto my Satellite radio.
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Look on page 138 of the Maestro User Manual.

Ken  W9IE
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Pg 138, To Disclaim Any Implied Warranties? 
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    A long press of the A>B button activates the A>>B constant frequency difference feature. The A and B Slices are locked together so that a change to the frequency of one of them changes the other by the same amount in the same direction. The difference in the frequencies remains constant. Another long press of this button disables this feature. The two Slices do not have to be located in the same panadapter, or on the same band.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Ken,
    Locking 2 slices in SSDR would be nice.  Sounds like it would provide the functionality requested in this idea below also if I'm understanding it correctly.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/****_slices_idea_to_synch_up_2_slices

Here is a picture to illustrate one GUI idea for SSDR -- a new "synch lock" icon.  
    • Click on the new icon to get a list of available slices, pick a slice.
    • Icon would then show the slice letter it is locked to, also the other slice icon would be updated.
    • Slices could be on the same or different frequencies.   Slices could be in the same or different panadapters.  Moving one would move the other the same amount. 
    • Click on the icon again to de-select the locked slice (i.e. pick NONE)

Thoughts?  Would this meet the need?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.8
    Win10
  • Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Another option- I was trying to see if I could link slice A and B together (VFO's) for CW skimmer & Win Warbler to transmit CW from keyboard at correct frequency. The application to link VFO's (slices) to same freq. may have other applications for transverters EtC. The Application is DX commander a free application from DX Suite. Download commander and setup the following : imageimageimage Also if you open tranverter tab there may be some way to implement for those who run sat mode rwb1636@gmail.com Bob

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.