Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Entry level mic for 5000a

Just getting my 5000A set up and would like suggestions on a "starter" mic.  Not really warm to dropping another couple of hundered on a Heil set up.  I understand the 8 pin is Yaesu?  Like an MH-1B8 (FT-757 etc)?  Suggestions?

Answers

• Kuby, N6JSX
    Kuby, N6JSX Member
    edited January 2017
    I recommend the Kenwood MC-60, it is the best all-around base mic I've ever used, and I've tried many Shure/Turner/D104/etc. It you need the mic amp you'll need to wire for radio 8V - I never use the mic-amp. Of course you will need to rewire for a non-Kwood radio or create a cheater-cable, like I do, between the radio and MC60 allowing me to leave the MC-60 wiring pure.
     I have used them MC60's on many of my radios in the past. I have a 5000 but have not yet wired  my spare MC-60 to it. I have even rewired a MC-60 for my FT-767GX (and it took extensive internal rewiring/trace-cut/jump due to the totally opposite FT-PTT method) making it now a dedicated FT MC60 mic. The MC-50 is as good using the same mic but different base/wiring.

I have a Heil Gold Elite (on my IC-9100 and it was used on my old 3000) - it's great (I got a real good 'deal' on it off eBay). The MC60 is near as good but not quite - however, VERY few can tell the difference. 
  • Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

My vote for a ATR 30--- Don't make them any more but you can find one on ebay for about 20 bucks.

This mic has been a secret of ESSBers for many many years.

Cheers

• Carl Nord
    Carl Nord Member
    edited April 2019
    I had the exact same concerns. Rob, W1AEX, a guru on all things audio SDR recommended the following available for $20 at Amazon. Behringer Ultravoice Xm8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone. I have gotten excellent reports with mine.
  • Mike Golden
    Mike Golden Member
    edited January 2017
    I have a XM8500 I use at church (in the Praise Band) - guess I'm ready to go!  Never thought about using it.  TY Sir!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.